Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I'm a pretty experienced BMX rider and ride everything from curbs, skateparks, to dirt jumps.. so I know my way around a bike well. I rode DH for the second time ever 2 days ago and it feels so good to ride on something different.

I banged the bike real good after the sesh, just cause I'm used to throwing a bike around and I'm super aggressive with riding. Wondering what I should be looking for in for a downhill bike for suuuper aggressive riding. I understand how to fit a bike to my size, but I want to understand some takeaways like materials, geometry, or brand I should be looking to. Heavier bike doesn't discourage me, I would rather have a heavier bike with aggressive/shorter geo. I'm 6'0 and 200 pounds if that info does anything.

Thanks. If you have any bike recommendations that would be awesome too.. Budget would be around 2000.. I'm just scared I'll trash a cheap bike fairly quick..

· Registered
1,804 Posts
Hey all,
I'm a pretty experienced BMX rider and ride everything from curbs, skateparks, to dirt jumps.. so I know my way around a bike well. I rode DH for the second time ever 2 days ago and it feels so good to ride on something different.

I banged the bike real good after the sesh, just cause I'm used to throwing a bike around and I'm super aggressive with riding. Wondering what I should be looking for in for a downhill bike for suuuper aggressive riding. I understand how to fit a bike to my size, but I want to understand some takeaways like materials, geometry, or brand I should be looking to. Heavier bike doesn't discourage me, I would rather have a heavier bike with aggressive/shorter geo. I'm 6'0 and 200 pounds if that info does anything.

Thanks. If you have any bike recommendations that would be awesome too.. Budget would be around 2000.. I'm just scared I'll trash a cheap bike fairly quick..
If youre bailing and crashing the bike a lot, i cant recommend carbon, youd want aluminum. Unless you go hardtail dirtjumper then can get good steel, like Chromag.
Santa Cruz is a premium brand, they have a solid reputation for warranty of bikes, but their lineup of dual suspension bikes are all carbon.
As the other post mentioned, in mtb terminology, shorter is not "aggresive". Current geo slacker head angle, longer wheelbase makes bike more stable thus you can ride it more "aggresive" and faster through rough stuff. In slow tight stuff they can actually feel sluggish.
if you like throwing the bike around, you might consider the smaller 27.5 wheelsize. Bikes are trending toward the bigger 29, but i went 27.5 and also went on the small size for frame. Im between a S and M in the brand i got, i went S.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.