Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, I know this is MTB land.... But.... I'm sure u guys can give some good advice.... What are some good ways of setting up a gyro rear brake. The bike is new. The rear brake feels mushy and doesn't stop worth dooky.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I lube the cables with tri-flow to reduce friction, especialy on the lower where it makes the bend below the stem. Grabby brake pads like kool stops help with power too.
For better results I run a dragonfly twin top cable, and the on the lowers, a twin cable system with a oddyesy london mod or something comparable. I still make sure to lube the cables with tri-flow or light grease where I can seperate the cable and housing.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
I'd say just without looking at your set-up, work on getting all of the extra "play" out of all the cables, get the pads a bit closer to your rim for better reaction, take out the slack so you can screw in the barrel adjuster on the lever as far as you can, but still clamp the brake without smashing your finger, and yeah, get some new pads, clean your rim with alcohol...

if it's an older gyro, you're just screwed, I'm not a fan. haven't run a new one like a gtxr or anything, so I can't speak for those, but most all of the old sst/etc. gyro's I've used I hated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
turrick said:
I lube the cables with tri-flow to reduce friction, especialy on the lower where it makes the bend below the stem. Grabby brake pads like kool stops help with power too.
For better results I run a dragonfly twin top cable, and the on the lowers, a twin cable system with a oddyesy london mod or something comparable. I still make sure to lube the cables with tri-flow or light grease where I can seperate the cable and housing.
Word.
Use a london mod if you don't have duel cable routing, use kool stop "BMX" pads, Make sure you have a good brake. Revenge is good, but the odyssey evolve 2 works well. and the Fly is somewhere inbetween. lube the hell out of your cables, and do it periodicly. Use the odyssey lever that has two cables running out of it, or get the dragonfly. Tension the springs of the brakes, and get them at a comfortably close distance to the rim. You'll be fine.

I can do trails pedal kicks on my bmx, and I run a gyro, so it is possible to get good stoping power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.