Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Landing Abuser
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the line between bmx and mtb? You see these 24"er's with rigid forks, and i'm just wondering, is this still urban mtb? or is it bmx now? Or is it something completely different now? What makes a bike a mountain bike, and what makes it a bmx?

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
snaky69 said:
Mountain bikes have different rear end spacings, different bottom brackets
not any more.

I think the line is getting harder and harder to draw as things merge, but at the same time, it's more and more pointless to draw. I'd say these newer 26 & 24" bikes NOT designed for off-road shouldn't even be called "mtb" anymore. Just 26 or 24 inch shred sleds... haha, or something of the like...
there's a good point about the suspension, I'd say that is a solid separation for sure, but, what about rigid? it's a good question.

·
Landing Abuser
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All good points, and i believe that the line for urban mtb may end at rigid forks. But then what's a 24''er with a suspension fork and bmx spacing, bb's, and cranks? The line has blurred alot, and i think it's all up to rider preference now as to what they find rides better for them, it truly is "urban" biking now, subtract mtb and bmx. lets leave it at urban.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
thats why im geting my nemesis, I want a bmx but at the same time I want some cushion, the 24" nemesis is my medicine, its got some qualities of a bmx, rear spacing, spanish bottom bracket, (dont forget that some mtbs have bmx cranks on them cuz they soo ****in strong), bmx cranks, but its still got some mtb touches, like suspension even if it isnt that much. Its my bmx/mtb hardtail bike

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
BikeSATORI said:
ask this same question to any stereotypical (don't wanna say all are like this) hardcore BMX'er and I'm sure they would highly disagree. I'm sure you know what I'm saying... I used to be like that quite some time ago...
They'll probably say we're using the wrong tool for the job, albeit not quite as politely.

·
Registered
952 Posts
With the blurring of the BMX/MTB line it get hard to define.

In my mind a MTB needs to have at least 2 of the 3 below.
Suspension corrected geometry
135mm or greater spacing to run gears.
24" of larger wheels.

My Gack 26" Trail Mod is a 26" BMX because it only meets 1 criteria.
My Steelhead hit's all three and is a MTB
My old school redline MTB hits on gears and wheels so it fits.
A Molly or similar hit suspension and wheels and are MTBs

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
i dont even try to label bikes of this sort anymore. i just consider them "dirt jump or street bikes" since that really is what they are. i hope that someday soon, 20" riders and 24/26" riders can ride together more and it can all just be accepted as riding instead of playing the label game. i think you'll hear both 20" riders and bigger wheeled riders say negative things about each other a lot depending on who your talking to, but its more about the rider then the bike...and we're doing the same stuff. i actually have shown my bike to a few BMX guys i know and they all seem to dig the concept a lot.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
ebfreerider510 said:
i dont even try to label bikes of this sort anymore. i just consider them "dirt jump or street bikes" since that really is what they are. i hope that someday soon, 20" riders and 24/26" riders can ride together more and it can all just be accepted as riding instead of playing the label game. i think you'll hear both 20" riders and bigger wheeled riders say negative things about each other a lot depending on who your talking to, but its more about the rider then the bike...and we're doing the same stuff. i actually have shown my bike to a few BMX guys i know and they all seem to dig the concept a lot.
yeah man, I like the title under your username.

but... this means we gotta accept those 29'ers too.... :skep: j/k, gotta keep an open mind, doesn't mean I'll be riding one though.

·
Renegade of Krunk
604 Posts
ebfreerider510 said:
I've gone riding with a lot of kids that BMX and none of them have smack talked because I rode a mountain bike. A bunch of kids in my neighborhood ride 26"s too so maybe the 20" guys are used to them :D

·
Rollin' twenties.
1,635 Posts
i hope soon it can just be thought of that all bikes,20'' bmxs, low travel 24s, and up too geared 26ers, are just street/park and dj bikes. and what ever bike you have is just preference, because because we all ride the same crap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.