Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
No Clue Crew
7,672 Posts
You'd have to check the sanctioning body rules. If I remember correctly, there are wheel diameter limits, but they may have changed.

I do remember, anecdotally, when I raced 36-40 (age class) cruiser there was a guy who would show up occasionally on a FS 26er and totally get worked.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I can see someone on an FS getting worked against a bunch of HT's on a short course.

If interested, check out some of these videos of a 26" class. Those guys are moving..

Go to: http://26bmx.com/
and look for: "Streaming Videos of 26 BMX Races"

From the 08 ABA rule book:
http://www.ababmx.com/pdf/2008_aba_rulebook.pdf

D. Cruiser
1. Bicycles for competition must have no less than a 24" wheel diameter.
Bicycles with a 26" wheel diameter or larger are therefor allowable.

Blatant said:
You'd have to check the sanctioning body rules. If I remember correctly, there are wheel diameter limits, but they may have changed.

I do remember, anecdotally, when I raced 36-40 (age class) cruiser there was a guy who would show up occasionally on a FS 26er and totally get worked.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Much as I like 29ers, I can't imagine that there would be any advantage using one. Think of how important the holeshot is in BMX and that "29er's lack of acceleration" compared to smaller wheels is one of the few disadvantages of the big wheel.

And how hard would this be one a 29er?!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Um, yeah it would be real hard, for me anyway.. In prepertaion for my 29er BMX debut I've been trying to learn to manual and when I finally get into a manual I cannot hold it for more than a few feet.

I total agree about the acceleration of a 29er vs. a 24er, but I still think it would be cool to race a 29er on BMX track. Even in XC racing I'm not accustom to winning, so if get smoked on a BMX track it will be nothing new.. ;)

Thanks for the vid. That's awesome!

Dave. said:
Much as I like 29ers, I can't imagine that there would be any advantage using one. Think of how important the holeshot is in BMX and that "29er's lack of acceleration" compared to smaller wheels is one of the few disadvantages of the big wheel.

And how hard would this be one a 29er?!

·
No Clue Crew
7,672 Posts
Manualing is imperative for BMX. I can manual my 29er pretty well, but finding the sweet spot is difficult.

As stated, gate starts are where BMX races are won/lost. Just go to a practice night where the cruiser and 20-inchers gate together in mixed practice. Given equal skillsets, the smaller diameter wheel will generally holeshot the larger.

There's just not enough time or length on a typical BMX track for the advantages of larger wheels to come into play.

Give it a whirl, though, and good luck.
d

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have messed around on a BMX track w/ my 29er (GF Rig). It's fun and I think good way to practice to keep some skills that you do not use on a normal MTB ride. The hardest part for me are the woops, I can not manual my bike very well at all, If you can than it probally is not much of a problem.

I used to race BMX many many years ago, It's fun and brings back alot of memories so go for it.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I didn't race, but rode my Canzo 29er at a BMX track about a month ago. I had a good time on the bike.

I can't manual anyway ;)

If you want to be competitive it may be a hindrance, but if you're just looking for fun and track time, any bike will do!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Ramps are the problem for me with 29". Timing gets so much harder. The acceleration and all, that's not my issues. I pedal harder than most around my level anyway.
I could manual only half a triple, but for sure it would be harder with larger wheels. The corners though...definate large wheel territory.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
When I put together my custom 26" BMX racer I was surprized by how much lighter I could build my wheels while still being bomb-proof enough for me. most BMX rims and equipment is more burly than really needed for this mortal.

I used a wider Mavic 36 spoke rim, 3 cross, with brass nips. The tire selection for 26" mtb tires is HUGE and they can be very light. Stuff like Kevlar beads seem rare in BMX. I certainly had to use tubes to get the sidewall rigidity. I ran the tires at about 70lbs when racing.

The bad I noticed with 26" wheels was that tracks with short, steep jumps were very hard to ride. My wheel did not seem to follow the small contour of the transition well. I suspect it will be worse for your 29er.

Lastly, there is a company called Kappa BMX that, I think, used to make exactly what you are looking for although I do not see 29" listed now. Google them.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
anthony_coley said:
Is anyone out there racing a 29er in the BMX cruiser class? I was watching some videos of guys racing 26ers and it looked like loads of fun.
No offense meant, but a 29er would get totally schooled on a short course. Same goes for 4 cross. You could certainly have fun with a 29er on a BMX track (change your tires please) or even a pump track, I guess. Really, it sounds like fun.

I have had my eye one one of these for a while; something like an Eastern 26 for DJing or pump track use. :D

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you are only looking to have fun, a 29er (or anything for that matter) would be interesting on a BMX track. But if you're looking to be competitive, I think a 29er would be a HUGE disadvantage.

FYI: The Fireman's 29er BMX bikes are out right now, although they are more of a fun/cruising/wheelie machine than a race bike.

http://firemansbikes.com/twentynine.htm

Also, the rumor is that SE Racing will be making a P.K. Ripper 29er next year. They made a few one-offs for a MTV show (Big & Rob) and I guess the response was good. They'll probably have them at interbike.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
The reason manualing a stock 29er is hard is because the stays are too long which blows out the wheelbase which just compounds the issue. If you were going to design a purpose-built racing BMX Niner, you can't just scale everything up and think it will be optimal.

If anyone is seriously interested in building a 29er BMX, drop me a PM. Been meaning to do one for a couple of years now but haven't had the spare time/funds/impetus.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.