Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
When I rode/raced 4-cross, I totally wanted a 29"er, for the grip and speed. technology was less ready then. Now we have 36h Flow rims, Gordo's, and Nevegal tires and such.
My Banshee Morphine actually had a racing ralph out back and something sticky up front.

When you lower the seatpost of your plain 29" hardtail, the result does feel very "park". At least to me.

Over smaller radius/ sudden vertical direction change jumps, 29" is just a pain, I found out on a newly built BMX track. On the DS/4X track, it felt fast.

·
sugoi chairinko
131 Posts
Does This Count?

I've been taking my Monocog Flight out to the local BMX races and having a blast on it. You'd be surprised how well it handles a BMX track. It carried me to a first place this past weekend!

It must be catching on, there were two other 29ers out there this weekend (but not in this pic). Maybe 29 is the new 20...

View attachment BMX.bmp

·
Registered
117 Posts
29 would be my last choice on a bmx track. they work great for single track, and are fun to ride, but having raced 20, 24, and 26 and feeling how much slower the big wheels are I dont see a 29 advantage in bmx. Not that you cant have fun on the bmx track, but as far as being competitive......

·
sugoi chairinko
131 Posts
29 would be my last choice on a bmx track. they work great for single track, and are fun to ride, but having raced 20, 24, and 26 and feeling how much slower the big wheels are I dont see a 29 advantage in bmx. Not that you cant have fun on the bmx track, but as far as being competitive......
I ride a 20 and a cruiser at the track, and they are definitely faster than a 29er, but I was surprised they do as well as they do. Much better than expected. And the fun factor is through the roof!

Plus, seeing the little kids' eyes pop out when I line up next to them is a riot!

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,844 Posts
Man, that thing is so sweet - I bet its got a hemi! I can't believe nobody thought of puttin' road wheels on a BMX before, its so logical! You no longer need rhythm for rhythm sections!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.