Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Formerly NattyBoh74...
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought these "things" haah about 2 mths ago. and i expected alot of improvment over the odyssey Jim Celinkie pedals i was running ( i loved them for 20" street ) so i thought they would be good in the woods. but they seemed to pack a little. Now the BMWs do provide adaquite grip, but i would have expected more due to the amount of pins that are on each side. This is just a rave about them, anyone else dis like or like them??:thumbsup:

·
dontcha?
1,433 Posts
Haven't used them, but I have a pair of Odysseys on my trail bike and I like em also.. I just got a set of Flybike bmx pedals on my fr/dh rig and i love them, super light and super grippy.

·
Pain is a way of life
149 Posts
I don't think that all those posts bashing them are written by people that have actually used them. They are an absolutely awesome pedal (heavy yes). I scrapped my 5050xx in 1 run at Bromont, Kona Jackshit in a 1/4 season.....I always go back to my trusted BMW's. Super grippy and very solid.

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
Ive always found them overhyped. The pings get dinged up and get less grippy - and th epedals pack up pretty easy.

Pretty much everyone I know that did use them stopped -- about the same time that 24" Double Wides with 3.0 gazzys went out of vogue...

·
Pain is a way of life
149 Posts
3-4 bad opinions by people that never used them
1 good opinion by someone who uses them

I'm sure you all know your stuff and all but how can someone give an honest opinion about a product they never tried.

anyway just my 2cents...cheers

ps: is winter over yet so i can ride ??????

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
paintmc said:

I'm sure you all know your stuff and all but how can someone give an honest opinion about a product they never tried.

You are right. I have had these since 2000. They have some teeth shaved down but still grip good. I knoe new EASTONS will bite better. I personally would not buy the new ones they seem like junk to me. A friend got em and even brand new they had like a fraction the grip my 5 year old pedals did????

PIC to prove it ehhh...:thumbsup:

·
Pain is a way of life
149 Posts
I do agree with you ianjenn. The new ones aren't a crazy grippy as the older version. But they are still a great pedal and very solid. New ones aren't junk at all. The only weekness would be they slip a bit when very wet. Other than that they are shoe eaters and grip well.

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
only one pedal matters in my life-syncros stainless mental's.........ya heardd

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
paintmc said:
I do agree with you ianjenn. The new ones aren't a crazy grippy as the older version. But they are still a great pedal and very solid. New ones aren't junk at all. The only weekness would be they slip a bit when very wet. Other than that they are shoe eaters and grip well.
May not be JUNK per say but BILLET is way nicer than FORGED any time! They also don't seem as concave.

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
paintmc said:

Love the assumptions.

Got time on em, got friends who have time on em, another friend raced Pro for them last season - great quality, great bikes - pedals? Great style - not so great grip. They are far from the worst pedals, but also far from the best;Try em in the mud if you like ice dancing.

Most decent pedals have better grip and also replaceable pins.

As for the old vs the new I couldnt say - I have only ridden the old, but they arent relatively impressive, and per Chris 'Doc' Boudreaux - the new are both lighter and better gripping than the old --- but what does he know, he only designed them.

·
Pain is a way of life
149 Posts
No assumptions where made...That's why I said 3 or 4....some posts not clear if they used them before. That's all. I do agree as posted above. Any time they get wet they suck. But dry I have had no issues at all. I am glad you mentioned about what Chris said. I had a bunch of winners get psycho on me when I said the new where better than the old. I assumed the 1/2 dozen people knew what they were talking about. My bad....

I guess it's all about preference. Everyone is luvin the 5050xx and personaly I found them a POS. No grip and poorly designed and poorly made. So I guess to each his own.

Either way Im getting the Gloryholes now that NYC Freeride are back so it don't matter anymore.

cheers
T

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
They don't grip that well because there are too many tall pins. They interfere/compete with each other and don't let individual spikes bit into your shoe enough. Grind some of the inner ones (closer to the spindle) off and they work better.

That's not an assumption.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Pedals are all completely subjective..... Some people swear by one when they have not tired any others. Sam Hill is the current world champ, and he won on flats. Steve Peat is the current over all world cup winner and he rode clipless. Who is faster? It all depends on who you talk to, the course, the timing, their health, application..... yada yada yada.

Personally I have tired the A-frames, Gloryholes, TimeATAC, Crankbro, 5050, and Easton. At my current riding style I like the Eastons. It favors me personally. Not to say all the others are bad... just not me.

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
kidwoo said:
They don't grip that well because there are too many tall pins. They interfere/compete with each other and don't let individual spikes bit into your shoe enough. Grind some of the inner ones (closer to the spindle) off and they work better.

That's not an assumption.
That is spot on!! I converted a pair of shite Odyssey Triple traps -- cut out 2 out of every 3 'pins' and they had ok grip - stock they were like flat pieces of polished aluminum! This was arounf 97 JIC someone wants to tease..(GO AHEAD!! WAAH)

XOXO's? Didnt like em - found em slippy and not a fan of style over function.

Gloryholes? While very stylish - NYCFR stuff is killer! Now that Andy's rollin again - need some pimp caps and a set of Race-Lites!!

Im a huge fan of A-Frames and Flatboys!

·
Formerly NattyBoh74...
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
But still i think the pedals are more of a statment then function. YOu have to be crazy as hell to ride these let alone without shinpads, i dont ride with shinpads so i get s hit about it all the time from other riders. But it only hurts at first... :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.