·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Specs:
Frame: 2008 BMC Superstroke 01 frame 150 or 130 (adjustable) rear travel
Fork: Fox 36 Vanilla R 160mm travel
Shock: Fox RP2
Brakes: Avid Juicy 7 (185mm front 160mm rear)
Crank: Truvativ Stylo 3.3 Team
Bars: Sunline V1 Aluminum 1.5" Riser
Stem: Race Face Atlas AM
Grips: Oury lock on
Shifters: Sram x0
Front DR: Sram x7
Rear DR: Sram x9
Casette: Sram PG970
Wheels: Sun Ringle STR8 Track AM
Pedals: cheap/heavy kona platforms
Seatpost: Race Face Evolve XC
Saddle: WTB Rocket V with a nice tear

I pieced most of it together via buying used parts off ebay and forum classifieds

I have been piecing together this bike since March or April, primarily for a trip I am leaving for this Thursday. I'll be driving to Maine with a friend and riding at the following areas:

Case Mountain (CT)
Arcadia Wildlife Management Area (RI)
Pawtuckaway (NH)
Bear Brook (NH)
Ft. Rock (NH)
Bradbury Mountain (ME)

Initially, I was going to ride more areas, such as Vietnam (MA) and Westwoods (CT) as well as some stuff near Mt. Washington on the way back down. Seeing as I don't want to get in over my head, I cut the riding back a little.

What I DO need are some fatter tires. The Panaracer Fire XC 2.1s may not cut it. I was looking at Kenda Nevegal 2.35 DTCs but I can't seem to find anything locally. If I cant find those, or something just as good, locally I am going to order a set and have them shipped to a friends house in RI so I can pick them up on Saturday.

When propedal is turned on, this bike climbs like a dream! I am still getting used to the handling with the wider bars and higher ride height. I still need to dial in the rebound on the fork and rear shock. The standover height isn't all that great. The frame is a 17" but it fits like an 18ish. The bars seem a bit high also, but I am probably going to move around some spacers before I decide to replace the stem or bars with something lower. Otherwise, I am very happy with the bike thusfar!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Congrats on the bike! I'm sure it would be a blast to ride. As for the tires, you might want to consider the Continental Mountain King Supersonics. One of my friends has it in 2.4 inch size and it is very light for that size. It's got very big volume (60 x 559) so you could run it with lower tire pressure.

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
Looking sick Kenny!!!!!
Glad to see she is finally up and running.
Let us know how the riding goes on your trip!!!!!!!

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
That's the 1st BMC Superstroke I've seen built up and looks amazing. Great job building!

You are right about the Panny Fire XC tire. Need find some fatty. Hurry and find some Nev or Minion. Full report when you get some riding in.:thumbsup:

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
Here's mine with Nev 2.35 front and 2.1 rear. The STR8 Track AM wheels are sick.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
nickgto said:
Congrats on the bike! I'm sure it would be a blast to ride. As for the tires, you might want to consider the Continental Mountain King Supersonics. One of my friends has it in 2.4 inch size and it is very light for that size. It's got very big volume (60 x 559) so you could run it with lower tire pressure.
Those'll last about 3 seconds in NE rocks. I tried one once, and it fell apart in no time flat.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Here is mine

I built it 2 weeks ago. I'll post a pic to make this thread sorta like a superstroke pic thread.

·
MNTNBKR
56 Posts
Thats awesome, I just bought a superstroke frame from jenson and i'm moving my components over to it and its going to be virtually identical to yours except the pedals/crank and im putting a fox vanilla fork on instead of a van.

How do you like the superstroke? Where can derailleur hangers for it?!?!

Thanks!

·
Registered
270 Posts
nice ride guys ,the thing that really caught my eye was the rear derailer (replacable) hanger.. wow that looks like a beefy peice as does the rest of the bike. when i was in the navy years ago i spent some time around there beautiful countryside .and the locals for the most part were very nice to deal with. have a great trip!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After riding the Super Stroke around my only complaint is standover height, or lack of. Otherwise, it has been a great bike! Plenty of suspension travel, handles like a dream, zero issues with build quality.

I just wish the top tube was bent a little instead of straight to give me some more standover.

I have also since replaced the tires with some WTB Prowler XT 2.3 tires and I lowered the stem about 1".

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice bike, Joules!

I was thinking about getting a Crank Bros Joplin seatpost until I saw the price tag! I was trying to stay on budget with the bike at the time.

I am going to be replacing some components soon here to gear the bike towards more freeride than XC such as 8" rotors, beefier seatpost, different seat, and replacing the largest chainring with a bas guard.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
2 days before I ordered the joplin I crashed on a stupid little log pile, went over the bar and landed in poison ivy. If I had a little more skill or a little lower saddle I would have made it. Since I can't throw money down and get skill, and since it would probably be cheaper than and ER visit from going into anaphylaxis from PI again, and REI had them on sale for literally a day and I had a coupon... only paid like $170 for it.
We don't have many long downhills here, rarely worth it to stop and lower post.

I have to have the QR insanely tight to keep my post from slipping too, anyone else have that problem?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts