Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first time here and I am from Melbourne in the process of buying a new dual suspension mountain bike. My biggest problem is which one is better. Initially, I've got my eyes on Felt Virtue 2, then I went to my local shop and have a look at the BMC TF02 which then changed my mind. A few days ago, I then went for a test ride the Giant Trance and it was very comfortable. When I compared Giant and BMC, I did find that TF02 is more steady on the blimb, and the Giant is slightly softer on the climb but it very hard to notice after getting use to it (or the guy at the shop didn't setup the rear suspension to my weight).

I haven't had a chance to test ride the Felt Virtue2 yet but from the forum it seems like everyone's happy. I really can't decide which one to get. At moment the giant TranceX1 09 model uses better components or newer than BMC and Felt. It is retailed at $3799AUS on special right now other wise the RRP is about $4399.

BMC doesn't have a manufacture set components, i think it's all up to the dealers how they put everything together and sell it as a whole bike. I was then going to purchase the 08 TF02 the guy down the shop has got some floating around the shop with my size and ask him to put on the same components as in the giant Trance X1 09 model and I don't know how much that's going to cost beacuse I am going to find out tomorrow.

Could you guys please give me feedback and your recommdendations. I really don't know what I should be aiming at. BMC as awesome frame, but I don't know if I am paying for the brand, and I don't know how good are the giants they seem to be doing very well at the big mountain races. Felt virtue2 seems like a nice bike but I don't know much about it, so any informations would be great.

Looking to hear from you guys soon.

Cheers.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have a 07 BMC Fourstroke, have a 08 Giant Trance X2 and used to have a 07 Felt Virtue 3. The Virtue 3 frame felt flexy to me in the headtube area and the rear carbon triangle seemed to glance off trail bumps rather than go over them, so I sold the Virtue.

My Fourstroke is 4" travel and has 71/73 angles so it doesn't relate in a comparison to the Trance X like the Trailfox would, but both bikes have nice strong frames, the suspension designs are similar enough with the short lower links so to me, as you noted, the suspensions feel similar and perform well.

I'd eliminate the Virtue from your choice list and then go back as you are doing in looking at the TranceX1 and the TF with Trance level components and see what the pricing comes out like. Also maybe see if you can weigh both and see if there is any weight avantage to either. Also, ride them both again and see which one might fit your body geometry the best.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.