contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part of BMA's response:

Are you wondering what you can do?

Do you want to be heard?

You've got options.

The most important thing you can do this month:
Show up on Wed 2/9 to tell OSBT you want to be treated with respect.
*** WEAR A GREEN SHIRT AND A BIKE HELMET *** ... and wear them with pride as you fly the BMA colors and visually state "I am a mountain biker!"

See the rest of it and sign the petition here: http://bouldermountainbike.org/takeaction

Boulder Mountainbike Alliance asked for approximately 4 miles of trail in a system of 128 trail miles. You do the math.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
bikepackingdude said:
Boulder is full of morons.

The world full of morons. You're a moron, I'm a mornon. All your brahs are morons. So what constructive thing are you going to do about it?

·
Almost Human
2,922 Posts
How do you plan on addressing this?

This is taken from the BMP Mission Statement:
"Open Space Charter
* Preservation of land for its aesthetic or <bol>passive recreational</bol> value and its contribution to the quality of life of the community."
http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1166&Itemid=1086#mission

PASSIVE RECREATION only..... that's why you won't get access.

This is what I'm talking about when I bring up how the system has been rigged. They knew that putting the word "passive" into the Mission Statement would allow bans on any use they don't like. It's seems benign, but in reality it is a huge issue.

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Not sure about city of Boulder but I know for fact that mountainbiking is considered passive recreation in Boulder County OS.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Almost Human
2,922 Posts
ignazjr said:
Not sure about city of Boulder but I know for fact that mountainbiking is considered passive recreation in Boulder County OS.
Right. It was spelled out in this resolution.
http://www.bouldercounty.org/find/library/environment/resolution93-174.pdf

Page 7, Item (f)
"preservation of land for outdoor recreation areas limited to passive recreational use, including but not limited to hiking, photography or nature studies, and, if specifically designated, bicycling, horseback riding, or fishing."

I would guess the difference being that the City's open space tax was written in 1967, prior to MTB's, and the County's tax code was written in ~1993. Someone represented the MTB'rs well in 1993. Just adding the word "bicycling" makes a world of difference when access/conflict issues come up.

·
Almost Human
2,922 Posts
Debaser said:
Mountain biking is allowed in city open space. Doudy Draw area for example.
I realize this. :)

I'm just saying that one of their major arguments against access in this case is the user conflict issue. If MTB riding were defined as a passive form of recreation in the tax codes then you would have a much easier time obtaining/preserving access. You would have a legal right to access.

Just saying "passive recreation" but not defining what that is leaves the door open to certain user groups biases towards other user groups.

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Honestly, UT, I've been involved with advocacy up in this area for years and I've never seen the passive/active aspect brought up. Most folk just see it for what it is - mountain biking.

I don't think the haters care whether mountainbiking is passive or not. They just don't like bikes on their trails and they are unwilling to share.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
We just sent out the ABP to our Boulder list--hopefully we can pack the place. If we don't get it down now, we are looking at another 20 years of no trails in the West TSA.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Mt biking is explicitly listed as a form of passive recreation in the OSMP's Visitor Master Plan, fyi.

G

·
UncleTrail said:
How do you plan on addressing this?

This is taken from the BMP Mission Statement:
"Open Space Charter
* Preservation of land for its aesthetic or <bol>passive recreational</bol> value and its contribution to the quality of life of the community."
http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1166&Itemid=1086#mission

PASSIVE RECREATION only..... that's why you won't get access.

This is what I'm talking about when I bring up how the system has been rigged. They knew that putting the word "passive" into the Mission Statement would allow bans on any use they don't like. It's seems benign, but in reality it is a huge issue.
It would be worth arguing that the "passive recreation" is a contradiction. Unless, it is in reference to something like an "armchair quarterback". I fail to see how they can classify hiking as a passive recreation. The word recreation entails some sort of movement. I would take the city to task on their wording. I think you're right, though, that the use of this statement is a premeditated example of building exemptions into wording without explicitly stating such exemptions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts