Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

681 - 700 of 700 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
My Bluto is roughly 390mm from the axle center to the lowest point on the fork arch.

The radius of the XR4 is roughly 387 mm, inflated to 20 psi - will likely ride them around 12-15.

Upon closer inspection, the fit is a little tighter than I originally thought when looking at it while standing. When I actually look at the clearance from the lowest point on the center of the arch to the tread, it’s only about several mm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, 390mm is the number i'm getting from the axle center to th bottom of the arch brace (at centerline of fork). I took the wheel off to be sure.

I knew many of the 29 x 3.0 are big including the XR4. I hear it is one of the larger ones. I didn't want to drop two hundo on tires and have a clearance issue.

I have only seen pics of other tires. Surprised TREK doesn't have a tire geometry page. Ridiculous.

Thanks again, Mark!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, 390mm is the number i'm getting from the axle center to th bottom of the arch brace (at centerline of fork). I took the wheel off to be sure.

I knew many of the 29 x 3.0 are big including the XR4. I hear it is one of the larger ones. I didn't want to drop two hundo on tires and have a clearance issue.

I have only seen pics of other tires. Surprised TREK doesn't have a tire geometry page. Ridiculous.

Thanks again, Mark!
No problem. I bought the XR4 from the gentlemen that built the wheels knowing that the mounted tire might not fit. He was willing to accept it back for full refund if it was too large.

·
Registered
44 Posts
How do you measure the airspring to determine length? I have my fork apart for a much needed rebuild, and I can't remember if it's a 100mm or 120mm (fork says 100mm, but I recall the PO telling me they converted it). The manual has this, but nothing matches what I measure for the total length. Are you supposed to only measure the shaft portion or something?

bluto.PNG

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yep, new. Mounted now for about a week - 1st ride will be this weekend.

Did you get out for your ride? How'd it go?

Still got clearance Clarence? ;)

I have been happy with my 100mm bluto and am hoping it's not too close for a decent 29+ tire. Thinking maybe worthwhile to go with an EXT Mastodon but that will change my geo a bit if I want the same 100mm travel and clearance for tall 29+ tires. STD Mastodon won't cut it. Good news is I'd be able to run the Duro Crux w the EXT version (most likely, anyways)! The bluto is significantly lighter and I have not had any noticeable issue w flex as I'm 150lbs or so. However I ride hard enough at times and I would prob notice the improved stiffness of the Mastodon. Doh!

·
Registered
540 Posts
How do you measure the airspring to determine length? I have my fork apart for a much needed rebuild, and I can't remember if it's a 100mm or 120mm (fork says 100mm, but I recall the PO telling me they converted it). The manual has this, but nothing matches what I measure for the total length. Are you supposed to only measure the shaft portion or something?

View attachment 1359169
It's been a while since I had mine apart but I think it is marked right on the airspring shaft itself or somewhere on it. Should indicate what size it is.

When assembled the stanchion reveal should be close to the actual travel provided it's not sagged of course.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Did you get out for your ride? How'd it go?

Still got clearance Clarence? ;)

I have been happy with my 100mm bluto and am hoping it's not too close for a decent 29+ tire. Thinking maybe worthwhile to go with an EXT Mastodon but that will change my geo a bit if I want the same 100mm travel and clearance for tall 29+ tires. STD Mastodon won't cut it. Good news is I'd be able to run the Duro Crux w the EXT version (most likely, anyways)! The bluto is significantly lighter and I have not had any noticeable issue w flex as I'm 150lbs or so. However I ride hard enough at times and I would prob notice the improved stiffness of the Mastodon. Doh!
Yessir. Rode about 30 mi of nice singletrack last week and the wheels performed excellently. No clearance issues with the Bluto and the 29x3 tires.

I increased my travel from 100 to 120 on my Bluto this spring and reduced the number of spacers below my stem to compensate. I’ve had no issues with the geometry change and am very pleased with the Bluto. I’m also 150# and have never had any obvious issues with flex.

·
Registered
40 Posts
bluto tokens

Sorry new guy dragging up an old thread But here it goes. Just bought a Salsa Bucksaw aluminum with bluto. I am new to this bike and mnt bikes in general. So if it was called a 100mm travel bluto by salsa can I take some tokens out to lengthen the travel to 120mm? Is it that simple and is it a simple process?

Please and thank you

·
Registered
40 Posts
Lengthen travel on Bluto

Sorry new guy dragging up an old thread But here it goes. Just bought a Salsa Bucksaw aluminum with bluto. I am new to this bike and mnt bikes in general. So if it was called a 100mm travel bluto by salsa can I take some tokens out to lengthen the travel to 120mm? Is it that simple and is it a simple process?

Please and thank you

·
Registered
580 Posts

Please and thank you

You have to swap out the air shaft. Which requires fork disassembly.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts

Please and thank you

The tokens in the air chamber are used to vary the volume. As mentioned above they do not change the overall travel capacity. They are used to fine tune the fork to your liking along with the air pressure and other dial settings.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the bluto remote lockout on the bars, but when I engage the lockout, it works fine on the remote, but to turn the lockout off, the second lever binds. Sometimes it works, other times it does not. There seems to be a binding inside the housing. Lube is not the problem, any one experience the issue and solution?

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Follow up

Ok I watched a bunch of videos on changing the air shaft from 100 to 120 on my bluto. I ordered a 120mm air shaft and some bottomless tokens. Installed the air shaft last night not that difficult and the token check/swap was easy as pie. I am 220lbs plus gear on a Salsa Bucksaw. Now I have the 120mm bluto with 3 tokens. Im running around 100psi in the fork as the recommended psi was way stiff. Im going to put some rides in like this and report back. ANy PSI or token tips for my weight and set up?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Correct seal kit for bluto?

I'm struggling finding the right seal kit for my bluto, can anyone help? see picture of one seal kit that doesn't have the right size o rings. The seals I removed from air shaft are on the bottom of the picture, identical in size. But the seal kit I bought only has 1 o ring of that size and one slightly smaller (above air shaft in picture).

my Bluto is off a 2018 Trek Farley... it seems maybe bluto designs have changed through the years?

What part number seal kit to you guys think I need?

Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 10.51.49 AM.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
That looks like the correct kit according to the label on the package. I would use the new seals that are closest in size right above the air shaft. You will be fine. Use grease slick honey or Judy butter. Or use the old seals again. But the new ones will be Ok.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I found this in a spare parts document from rockshox. my bluto is 2017+ so I think I needed a different part number seal kit. Luckliy I have a 2015 bluto also, so I think I can use the other seal kit for that one.

• 200h 00.4315.032.640 200 HOUR/1 YEAR SERVICE KIT (INCLUDES DUST SEALS, FOAM RINGS, O-RING SEALS) - BLUTO RL/RCT3 (2017+)

• FS 11.4018.052.000 FORK SERVICE KIT - FULL SERVICE SOLO AIR (INCLUDES AIR SEALS, DAMPER SEALS & HARDWARE) - BLUTO A1

• S 00.4315.032.490 AM FORK SERVICE KIT, BASIC (INCLUDES DUST SEALS, FOAM RINGS,O-RING SEALS) - BLUTO A1

• ns 00.4018.783.011 DAMPER UPGRADE KIT - CHARGER2 RLC REMOTE 120 MAX TRAVEL (INCLUDES COMPLETE RIGHT SIDE INTERNALS & ONELOC REMOTE) - SID 27"&29"(2012-2016)/REBA 27"&29"(2012-2017)/BLUTO

• ns 00.4018.783.003 DAMPER UPGRADE KIT - CHARGER2 RLC CROWN 120mm MAX TRAVEL (INCLUDES COMPLETE RIGHT SIDE INTERNALS) - SID 27"&29"(2012-2016)/REBA 27"&29"(2012-2017)/BLUTO

·
Registered
1 Posts
This damper upgrade totally transforms the bluto. It feels much closer to a pike. I think with this damper the only thing that could be complained about is its flex but me weighing in at 170 fully geared it is not an issue for me.
I realize this is a fairly old thread but ;-). I fully agree that the Charger in the Bluto transforms the fork. Between the damper and some bottomless tokens you can really improve the fork feel. Mind you I'm 165 lbs and I think this is a big part of why I find the Bluto pretty good. With the damper and the tokens the fork disappears, it tracks better, has better small bump performance and does not bottom out. Total bike weight is a real factor when you don't weigh much so the light weight is a real win.

681 - 700 of 700 Posts