Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 700 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm 160 with gear too and I have it at 85psi but only on a few mild rides so far. I also feel like its sticky and not very plush out of the box.

·
move on up...
395 Posts
So Chris an 80mm Bluto can be changed to 100mm with a new air shaft and tokens? I haven't received my Bluto yet but should be here this week, so I haven"t read the manual yet. Thanks!

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
I ride often at my local trail system, its five minutes from my house and I can get 10 miles of riding in when I don't have time to drive further.

I run Strava, I have a few KOMs out there, mostly because of the number of times I have ridden everything, sometimes the stars align. There's a nice switchback climb out there that I have been gunning for - today with the Fatboy and the Bluto I got the KOM back.

Its weird because I really didn't feel like I was going that hard. Is it all because of the Bluto? No way, but at a minimum it didn't hurt my time either. I rode it with my Niner a week ago gunning for the KOM, I felt like I rode way harder than today and I didn't get it.

All this to say that the Bluto is a good addition to this bike, happy to have it (and all this could be because my phone/Strava glitched too).

·
Registered
74 Posts
So Chris an 80mm Bluto can be changed to 100mm with a new air shaft and tokens? I haven't received my Bluto yet but should be here this week, so I haven"t read the manual yet. Thanks!
The 80mm should come with all 4 tokens so to go from 80-100mm you should only need the longer air shaft and remove 2 tokens. You can download the manual and parts lists from Sram.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Advice needed, I recentley installed the Bluto fork and after a couple of rides the fork has started loosing air pressure during the ride. It will go from 80 psi to 50 psi and feels very unresponsive. If I air it up it will hold pressure for a while into the ride but then it drops pressure at some point in the ride. Any clue as how to go about fixing this issue? Thanks for any help.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
I think RS has been known for this problem (I think) Do a search but I remember someone recommended letting all the air out and cycling the fork a few times then pumping it up again. I could be completely wrong and pulling this out of my a$$ but it's worth a shot. Remember when you search that the Bluto is about the same as a Reba so what applies for one might apply to the other.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I pick up my fatboy with an 80mm bluto installed by the LBS, who will tune it for my riding style, however, this is hard in a parking lot. Based on the length of the Bluto 80mm, I suspect I should go for minimum sag and probably should have gone 100mm. Regardless, any input is appreciated before I pick it up.
Thank you,
FGO

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
I pick up my fatboy with an 80mm bluto installed by the LBS, who will tune it for my riding style, however, this is hard in a parking lot. Based on the length of the Bluto 80mm, I suspect I should go for minimum sag and probably should have gone 100mm. Regardless, any input is appreciated before I pick it up.
Thank you,
FGO
A 80mm with 25% sag is about the exact same a-c as the stock fork. That being said my frame is a 69.8 HT angle at 468mm a-c (which is a 80mm Bluto with 25% sag) and I am running a 100mm Bluto and I love it.

·
move on up...
395 Posts
Bikeman.com has Hope 150mm front hubs for bluto in stock right now for $111.99 free shipping! Universal cycles has the Hope and salsa specific hub in stock too.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I know all the prices, but my LBS who has sold me my Camber and my Roubaix was willing to sharpen their pencil, buy all the bits, install them and then fit me when the install was done. It was a very fair price and they warranty this just like the bike. I really cant complain, I will be riding a fitted, warrantied Bluto for ~$900. Cheaper if I did it myself, but my LBS is two blocks from my house and have exemplary service.... No brainer for me.
Cheers,
FGO

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am interested in getting one of these forks what did u use for hubs on these things.
i have the i9 front hub with their adapter kit. my gf has the salsa 150mm hub which doesn't require an adapter but i wanted to keep things matchy so i just got the adapter.

overall the fork is great. a definite game changer imo. could it feel better...? yeah, i think it could but being the first mass produced fat bike fork i'm pretty stoked on it. i've since sold my niner sir 9 and haven't touched my full susp bikes and now i want a dropper post...

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
I took my Fatboy/Bluto out on a 10 mile ride this morning. The ride was full of intense rock gardens and screaming downhills. I have been reluctant to bring my fat bike on rides like this in the past, the necessity to slow down bugs me - I like going fast. I just put my dropper post back on - so I had a bit of an issue with seat positioning.

The Bluto definitely made the Fatboy a full bore machine. I found myself able to keep my fingers off the brakes and really crank through the rock gardens. I was leading the ride and had a fast guy with me. I won't say I dropped him (because I didn't), but I was able to keep him behind me without him riding my wheel.

So I guess I'm changing my earlier statement that it's not a game changer (if I made such a statement), the Bluto is a game changer. It's turned my Fatboy from a fun bike to ride in limited situations, to one that is fun in a lot broader situations.

Definitely worth the money. So glad to have one on my bike.

21 - 40 of 700 Posts