Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to Run a Bluto Fork with IGH drivetrain. So far I have found Schlick and 9:zero:7, are there any others? Any recommendations from Schlick / 9:zero:7 owners?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a schlick northpaw its a great bike. Its setup with paragon sliders and a 8 speed alfine. Its about 3 years old now and it has the 450mm axle to crown front fork. so I would not be able to suspension but was thinking about a white brothers snowpack.

If I were to buy another fatbike I would go with another schlick. American made steel frame how can you go wrong.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like it will be 9:zero:7 for me. The 135 slider frame is 799US, most parts from Pugs will swap over, except headset and seat post i think.
Plus, with the pugs frame & fork, I will be on my way to owning 2 fat bikes!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After doing the math,
New frame=$800
front wheel build (spokes, nips & labor)$85-90
Bluto Fork=$700
Front Hub=$200?
Headset=$100
For a total of $1890 to swap everything from my pugs to a suspension compatible frame.

Or
Rocky Mountain Blizzard Frame, Bluto Fork, and hubs=$1400
2x wheel build, spokes & nips=$180
Headset=$100
for a total of $1580

Maybe I will go RM. Definitely a nice decision to make.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The price of the new blizzard frame is $700? Hadn't seen that posted before. About right I guess for a quality hydroformed alu frame.

Edit: no, should be less, right, since you said frame, fork, hubs for $1400.

·
Registered
14,386 Posts
After doing the math,
New frame=$800
Bluto Fork=$700
Front Hub=$200?
Headset=$100
For a total of $1890 to swap everything from my pugs to a suspension compatible frame.

Or
Headset=$100
for a total of $1580

Depending where you ride having an IGH can be priceless. :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I lifted this from Pinkbike:
Pricing

CANADA:
Bike: $2,849.99 CAD
Frame/Susp. Fork/Hubs: $1,599.99 CAD

US:
Bike: $2,6699.99 USD
Frame/Susp. Fork/Hubs: $1,399.99 USD
*Bag sold separately (MSRP): $149.99 USD/CAD

·
Registered
634 Posts
After doing the math,
New frame=$800
Bluto Fork=$700
Front Hub=$200?
Headset=$100

Or
Headset=$100
for a total of $1580

The Front Hub is included with the Bluto so you can remove $200 from those calculations.

Also I believe your addition is off for the Blizzard calculations. Total should be $1680.

Either way, I was looking at doing something similar with an On One frame but decided in the end that Blizzard was the right way to go. Who knows how the suspension will affect the geometry of the On One or 9zero7. Now I just need to figure out how to pre order one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@vikb, Agreed! My Pugs with Alfine8 is the best IGH setup I have ever ridden. I will be keeping the pugs frame, for a possible Alfine / Dually wheel set. My goal with the Blizzard is to build an XC Hardtail with 5" tires to ride trails with all summer. The IGH is great for winter bombing, summer trails not so much. I will build it into something to fit the Pugs, just not sure what.

@Negotiator50, You're right. My maths are off a little, sorry. Not enough to change the decision though.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Is that true the front hub is included?

The Front Hub is included with the Bluto so you can remove $200 from those calculations.
Is that true the front hub is included with bluto?

I have been shopping online for a bluto compatable hub, but if one comes with the fork... problem solved and I just rebuild my wheel.

(spec fatboy)

·
Registered
893 Posts
No dog in the offset vs symetrical, igh vs derailleur thing, but I do know this- I was just going to buy a frame and a new rear hub and transfer everything from my pugsley to the new mukluk frame. by the time I was done the only parts that remained from the pugs were the grips and the brakes.

Swapping parts from one frame to another always ends up costing more than you expect.

·
bigger than you.
3,070 Posts
No dog in the offset vs symetrical, igh vs derailleur thing, but I do know this- I was just going to buy a frame and a new rear hub and transfer everything from my pugsley to the new mukluk frame. by the time I was done the only parts that remained from the pugs were the grips and the brakes.

Swapping parts from one frame to another always ends up costing more than you expect.
I did the same thing and bought an 2012 offset 9:ZERO:7 with the intention of swapping everything over from my Pugsley, but for the seat post. I did that, but it wasn't long before the new frame began to highlight the inadequacy of the Pugsley build. The derailleurs were the first things to go, the Deore 3x9 getting swapped for an XT shadow plus 1x10, followed by a new saddle, shorter stem, a cane creek headset, KS Lev dropper post, new tires, 180mm rotors and most recently, a RaceFace Turbine crankset and 32t NarrowWide chain ring. All that remains from the pugsley is the fork, wheels and brakes. The fork will be next on the replacement list, followed by a set of XT brakes and eventually, I'll rebuild the wheels with better hubs.
For the record, I don't regret a single cent that I've spent.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
I did the same thing and bought an 2012 offset 9:ZERO:7 with the intention of swapping everything over from my Pugsley, but for the seat post. I did that, but it wasn't long before the new frame began to highlight the inadequacy of the Pugsley build. The derailleurs were the first things to go, the Deore 3x9 getting swapped for an XT shadow plus 1x10, followed by a new saddle, shorter stem, a cane creek headset, KS Lev dropper post, new tires, 180mm calipers and most recently, a RaceFace Turbine crankset and 32t NarrowWide chain ring. All that remains from the pugsley is the fork, wheels and brakes. The fork will be next on the replacement list, followed by a set of XT brakes and eventually, I'll rebuild the wheels with better hubs.
For the record, I don't regret a single cent that I've spent.
Been there done that as well, old bits just don't do a new frame justice. I think the last one I did I might have kept the stem, boy did that save me a boat load of cash ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts