Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ride now's a Specialized SWorks FSR 2002 and a hardtail. Im looking to join the Santa Cruz family. Something I've always wanted to do. ;)

I used to compete XC but now would like to just do trails and fitness rides and just challenge myself and buddies on the mountains.
Technical climbs is something I always look forward to and the reward, bombing back down (but not crazy DH though). I don't do anything bigger than 3 foot drops...skill issues :D :D
Rocks, roots, logs, mud, technical climbs, technical DH is what i would encounter where I will be riding. I weigh 145Ibs/65kg.

The BXC looks like a fantastic platform (VPP) but I'm concern about the linkages and the increased maintenance. The SL on the other hand looks like an old classic design but a simple one at that with the single pivot and that's a good thing. I've read the reviews and both look like winners. If the SL can do what the BlurXC can, then I would go for the SL....it's cheaper. I can't test ride so I gotta ask you SC riders for the input.

What are the advantages forking out more bills for the BXC over the SC?

Cheers! Have an awesome 2008!

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
And it's New Year's Day, time for New Bike

My coffee is just starting to kick in, let me be the first to offer my opinion:

This discussion can be endless but let me tell you about my '07 Superlight--

The Superlight is what it is. I absolutely know there's going to be minimal maintenance, I absolutely know I'm not going to do any questioning about whether it has brake jack or pedal feedback or how it compares to a VPP bike--it is what it is. And that is that's it's a real fun bike to ride, it's plusher than I thought it would be, it rides straight and true, it's lightweight and is a singletrack monster. My suggestion to you is:

Get a 2007 Superlight frame (I'm 5'9" and ride a medium), transfer all the parts that work off your Stumpy, put on a Rockshox Revelation Air U-Turn fork and ride it at 115mm to 130mm to raise the bottom bracket and slacken out the head and seat tube angles. Hammer the pee out of it on all your favorite trails but don't expect it to ride like your Stumpy, they're two completely different bikes.

I did send the RP23 shock to PUSH for their Factory Tune ( I've done that with all my bikes) and got a large volume canister put on for a more linear feel, so that was an extra $225 but now I get an almost full 4" of travel in back with no bobbing. Getting the PUSH treatment is always a good way to go.

Think of it as an experiment. I love my Superlight. I probably would love a Blur too but I don't have a Blur. If you find the SL doesn't do what you want you can always sell the frame then build up a Blur frame. Here's my SL:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
xcguy said:
My coffee is just starting to kick in, let me be the first to offer my opinion:

This discussion can be endless but let me tell you about my '07 Superlight--

The Superlight is what it is. I absolutely know there's going to be minimal maintenance, I absolutely know I'm not going to do any questioning about whether it has brake jack or pedal feedback or how it compares to a VPP bike--it is what it is. And that is that's it's a real fun bike to ride, it's plusher than I thought it would be, it rides straight and true, it's lightweight and is a singletrack monster. My suggestion to you is:

Get a 2007 Superlight frame (I'm 5'9" and ride a medium), transfer all the parts that work off your Stumpy, put on a Rockshox Revelation Air U-Turn fork and ride it at 115mm to 130mm to raise the bottom bracket and slacken out the head and seat tube angles. Hammer the pee out of it on all your favorite trails but don't expect it to ride like your Stumpy, they're two completely different bikes.

I did send the RP23 shock to PUSH for their Factory Tune ( I've done that with all my bikes) and got a large volume canister put on for a more linear feel, so that was an extra $225 but now I get an almost full 4" of travel in back with no bobbing. Getting the PUSH treatment is always a good way to go.

Think of it as an experiment. I love my Superlight. I probably would love a Blur too but I don't have a Blur. If you find the SL doesn't do what you want you can always sell the frame then build up a Blur frame. Here's my SL:
I hope you're saying that the SL would work great for my ride objectives. Doesn't the RP23 work well with the SL?
Since i get the oppurtunity to buy one or the other, i would want to get the right bike for me the first time. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
The RP23 worked great with the Superlight

Pandora's Box said:
I hope you're saying that the SL would work great for my ride objectives. Doesn't the RP23 work well with the SL?
Since i get the oppurtunity to buy one or the other, i would want to get the right bike for me the first time. Thanks for the feedback.
It's just that my first go-round had a Fox 32 100 RLC on it. I figured 4" in front 4" in back. But, quite frankly, the bb height was too low and the head/seat tube angles were too steep for my liking. Since the frame is spec'd for up to a 125 mm fork (I think that's why SC made the angles so steep to begin with, so if you wanted to slacken them out with a longer fork the angles would still be just fine, only different) I put on the Revelation (a great fork). Then I had a potential 5 inches in front so I wanted to fully access the 4" in back. It seems that a 4" shock only gets maybe 2 1/2-3 inches of travel most of the time when properly set up, on any bike. You and I weigh about the same: getting a larger volume rear canister allows the shock to get almost a full 4" of travel before it ramps up. Heavier riders would find they'd just blow through the travel with a larger canister but for me it worked just like I wanted. Now I get about 4" in front with the fork dialed out to 130 mm (again, 5" fork doesn't mean always 5" of travel at all times) and about 3 7/8" in back, at all times.

PUSHing my shocks is just something I always do. Sometimes it makes a good bike a great bike. PUSH's business is probably 50% Santa Cruz bikes (something like that) so to send your shock to them is not admitting that your current ride sucks, it's just an improvement to any bike. And you only can know the difference by doing it, not by me trying to convince you.

I see this is your first time posting so instead of me trying to convince you an SL is better than a Blur (which I'm not offering an opinion on) do a search on this forum. This question has been debated a million times. At least you're not a hardtail holdout wondering if he should go FS!

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
XCguy has got it spot on. I originally had an F100 but swapped out for a talas for the same reasons. I run a normal RP23 but am now interested in the larger canister, although I am getting fairly close to full travel.
What do you weigh xcguy?

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
I weigh 162 on the bike

Hud said:
XCguy has got it spot on. I originally had an F100 but swapped out for a talas for the same reasons. I run a normal RP23 but am now interested in the larger canister, although I am getting fairly close to full travel.
What do you weigh xcguy?
I call this bike my Baby Heckler. Clydes can ride this frame without destroying it so you know it's tough, it doesn't have the travel that a real Heckler has but I like the 23" top tube instead of a Heckler's 22 1/2" tt and with the large air canister getting almost 4" all the time is pretty sweet. If you've read those threads I linked the OP to you've read me say all this before. With a 100-130 mm Revelation (or your Talas) I dial in the ride according to trail conditions. I usually ride all the time in 115 then dial out to 130 on long descents. At 100 it's just too steep and twitchy (something I never thought would bother me--it's just so much nicer having the travel options). But if I've got an endless climb 100 is good too.

Try the high volume canister first, see what difference that makes. Again, I PUSH all my shocks (5 total so far) and it's always improved the ride (Gary Fisher Sugar, Turner Burner twice--two different shocks-- Turner Flux and Superlight). I don't have to wonder if it's going to improve the ride, I know it does. I mean, you don't keep the same tires or fork on your bike forever right? The normal un-PUSHed RP23 with standard canister worked well but I just wanted a more linear feel in back without dialing in too much sag.

·
Registered
790 Posts
sl

I'm one of the larger dudes abusing the SL (215#) and run a Fox 130 RLC. I would echo xcguys comments about going with the longer fork. I thought I'd drop down but have loved it at 130.

Also, I got my rear shock push'd and it was an improvement, but not tremendously so. An unnecessary luxury on a bike that already rode fantastic.

I had a BLT, X5 and flux before this. I'm probably going to sell the X5 and the Flux because I like the SL so much.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi XCGuy,
I went thru the links you put here and I better understand the differences in the 2 bikes mentioned. What I would give to test ride both.
Anyways, I've been sitting on the fence for sometime and now i think I'm falling toward the SL side. You won't believe it but part of it is this intangible factor and not just the science of suspension that made me feel somethig...this, after reading thru the thread below that made me understand the love that Superlite riders have for their rides!

Looks like SL owners are always in the romance and puppy love stage of a relationship where else the Blur owners are in the married stage and have the occasional hiccups... :D :D :D

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=721

Both are beautiful bikes and both have their appeal. Will head to my lbs tomorrow to get a better feel for both......literally :p :cornut:

Cheers!

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
That's pretty funny, Blur owners in a marriage

Pandora's Box said:
Hi XCGuy,
I went thru the links you put here and I better understand the differences in the 2 bikes mentioned. What I would give to test ride both.
Anyways, I've been sitting on the fence for sometime and now i think I'm falling toward the SL side. You won't believe it but part of it is this intangible factor and not just the science of suspension that made me feel somethig...this, after reading thru the thread below that made me understand the love that Superlite riders have for their rides!

Looks like SL owners are always in the romance and puppy love stage of a relationship where else the Blur owners are in the married stage and have the occasional hiccups... :D :D :D

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=721

Both are beautiful bikes and both have their appeal. Will head to my lbs tomorrow to get a better feel for both......literally :p :cornut:

Cheers!
When I was going to buy my very first FS ride it was between a Superlight and a Gary Fisher Sugar. The Sugar won because the LBS carrying them was a lot closer to my home than the SC dealer. Through the years I wondered if I made the right choice. I never read a comment from anyone on any forum or met anyone on a trail that said they didn't like their Superlight. Once the Blur came on the scene it was constant comparisons between it and the SL and then came the bearing maintenance issue on the Blurs. Again, I have no opinions on Blurs, but still there weren't any negative comments about the SL.

This past winter I bought a 2007 ano medium SL frame and built it up with parts I know and love and had sitting around in my basement after a flurry of ebay purchases in the months before. Total cost was around $2100. I haven't bought a fully built bike in a long time, so I can't comment on buying a fully built SL. I can just say that my bike varies from 26-27 lbs depending on tires and the basic $1600 SL build at my LBS weighed 31 lbs (that's all in one of those other threads too). I can also slap on a Azonic Outlaw wheelset on it and turn it into a kinda/sorta freeride bike at about 29 lbs.

I only build up frames so maybe someone else can comment on the comparisons between the "complete" SL build kits that SC offers. Again, heed my plea and get a 100-130 mm adjustable fork like my Revelation U-Turn Dual Air or a Talas. Good luck.

·
Tough Guy Extraordinaire
601 Posts
If it helps, I was also on the fence when I got my 2007 SL. The guy at my LBS talked me into the SL. He told me he was pretty unhappy with the fact that his Blur required so much upkeep and he hated to not have his bike around all the time.

I love my SL, although this is my first FS bike so I don't have much to compare it too. That being said, it does feel much better than all of my buddies bikes, these range from specialized to fisher. They are the ones who pointed this out not me!

As for the fork, I run a Fox 32 RLC 100 on the front and sometimes I wish I had more. I have this fork so I am going to stick with it for a while. My next fork will be adjustable, probably the Talus.

There are only two negative aspects, first is the low BB, first thing I noticed on the trail. Although it seems like the longer fork may take care of this. Second, the rear end tends to flex a bit when you really jam it into corners. Don't think this really matters, but it is a little disturbing the first few times you feel it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
That low bb height

Shmack said:
If it helps, I was also on the fence when I got my 2007 SL. The guy at my LBS talked me into the SL. He told me he was pretty unhappy with the fact that his Blur required so much upkeep and he hated to not have his bike around all the time.

I love my SL, although this is my first FS bike so I don't have much to compare it too. That being said, it does feel much better than all of my buddies bikes, these range from specialized to fisher. They are the ones who pointed this out not me!

As for the fork, I run a Fox 32 RLC 100 on the front and sometimes I wish I had more. I have this fork so I am going to stick with it for a while. My next fork will be adjustable, probably the Talus.

There are only two negative aspects, first is the low BB, first thing I noticed on the trail. Although it seems like the longer fork may take care of this. Second, the rear end tends to flex a bit when you really jam it into corners. Don't think this really matters, but it is a little disturbing the first few times you feel it.

Good luck!

It starts out at 12 3/8" at 100 mm and gains to a little over 12 7/8" at 130 mm (with a Revelation). That's the difference between hitting your big ring on step-ups a lot and hardly ever hitting. It made a big difference. As far as a flexy rear end: I don't feel that but I probably don't corner as fast as you do. When I'm off the bike, have my SL upright, lean it over and put my foot on the cranks and push the rear-end doesn't budge.

I've had 6 FS bikes, can compare the SL to all of them and still love it. They're all different.
I'm not going to say it's the "best bike" I've ever ridden, none of them are, but you just can't go wrong with a 2007 SL IMHO. :D Sounds like I work for them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts