Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm looking to replace the headset on my Blur XCc (2010 first gen model), the one I have right now makes my arms feel stretched out so I'm looking for a shorter one.

Does anyone know what size of headset I would need to buy for my bike? It's a medium size if that matters.

Here a page I found with the geometry of the bike

Bikes » Blur XC Carbon | Santa Cruz Bikes UK

Thanks you.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I realized the part I want to replace is actually called a stem, not a headset!

Do you know what size of stem I would need?

·
I'm in...
311 Posts
I was wondering about the stretched out comment. Lot of factors to take into consideration. I don't ride XC bikes but I understand the intention is for you to be in attack mode and a shorter stem might compromise your climbing. Maybe start with 90mm or 80mm but I wouldn't go more than 70 on an XC bike.

You should tell us what length you're running now and maybe more XC riders can chime in. Maybe change your headline too.

·
mtbrer
973 Posts
Do you mean what length and rise you will need to make you feel less stretched out? How about ahorter one? Other options you will need to specify is it is for a 1 ⅛" steerer and you will need to determine the size of your handlebar (diameter of the bar where the stem clamps on to it). Standard or oversized - 25.4 or 31.8mm. (Oversized is the new standard)

Keep in mind that seemingly small changes in things like stem length can feel like big changes. Try and find a shop that will let you trade back the stem if your first one isn't what you need. Or you could end up with a collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
589 Posts
To the OP - The 2010 XCc has a 1 1/8" straight steerer with a 31.8mm bar. It probably came stock with a 100mm or 110mm stem. If the reach is too long, swap to an 80mm. I have a medium with an 80mm Thomson and the fit and ride is perfect. Maybe try out some cheaper stems to dial in the stem length before committing to a really good one.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I measured my stem and it was about 9 cm, so I'm thinking I should get a 7 or 6 cm?

My stem is an Easton EA70 right now, I'm looking to replace it with the lightest one possible, any suggestions? Carbon maybe?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts