Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
mtbr member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there over five feet tall riding a Medium XC ??? The few medium XC pics I have been able to find seem to have very little seatpost showing (which could just be setup preference, I suppose). I'm 5'10", currently riding a large Classic Blur. It fits me ok, but its definitely on the big side and I've been looking for something slightly smaller and snappier. The medium XC has just a slightly shorter top tube and wheelbase - sounds great right off. But the headtube and seattube are miles shorter. My setup measures 29 1/2" from crank center to seat top. I'm going to need a mega johnson of a seatpost for the medium XC. Here are the numbers, if anyone has a pic of a medium set up for a 5'10"-ish rider - PLEASE POST IT !!! :thumbsup: Thanks.
Blur Classic (L) / Blur XC (M)
TopTube: 23.3" / 23"
WBase: 42.8" / 42.4"
HeadTube: 5.1" / 3.9"
SeatTube: 20.5" / 17.5"

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm 5'7, 30" inseam, and just picked mine last week in medium. My measure measurement from crank to top seat is 67.5 cm. While I have almost no stand over height, the rest feels fine.

micstew said:
Anyone out there over five feet tall riding a Medium XC ??? The few medium XC pics I have been able to find seem to have very little seatpost showing (which could just be setup preference, I suppose). I'm 5'10", currently riding a large Classic Blur. It fits me ok, but its definitely on the big side and I've been looking for something slightly smaller and snappier. The medium XC has just a slightly shorter top tube and wheelbase - sounds great right off. But the headtube and seattube are miles shorter. My setup measures 29 1/2" from crank center to seat top. I'm going to need a mega johnson of a seatpost for the medium XC. Here are the numbers, if anyone has a pic of a medium set up for a 5'10"-ish rider - PLEASE POST IT !!! :thumbsup: Thanks.
Blur Classic (L) / Blur XC (M)
TopTube: 23.3" / 23"
WBase: 42.8" / 42.4"
HeadTube: 5.1" / 3.9"
SeatTube: 20.5" / 17.5"

Attachments

·
mtbr member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crank to Seat Top Measurement

Oscar - Thanks for the data point. Unfortunately, according to my advanced metric conversion calculations, your 67.5 cm crank center to seat top measurement is 26.6", nearly 3 inches less than I need. The medium is probably perfect for you. Still concerned that it is too small for me at 5'10", even though the SC fit chart says it fits up through 5'11" riders.

·
mtbr member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seatpost Needed

Here's a quick look at the numbers:

Needed Crank Center to Seat Top: 29.5"
+ Minimum Post Insertion: 4.0"
- XC Medium Seat Tube: 17.5"
- Seat Height: 2.0"
---------------------------------------------
= Seatpost Length Minimum: 14.0"

Thomson 30.9 x 367 = 14.4"
Thomson 30.9 x 410 = 16.1"

Probably would go with the 410 just to be safe.

Still have to determine if the cockpit can be made big enough for 5'10" with steertube spacers, stem, bars, etc...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts