Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to replace my Anthem with a XC bike with more travel. I looked at the Titus Moto lite and various others (Felt, GT, Trek, Merida.) In the end I decided on the Blur XC (med in gangreen). The manual gives the rear travel as 115mm. The fork I intend using is a Reba Team which can be set to 85, 100 or 115mm travel by removing internal spacers. The internet and manual gives the fork travel that should be used as 80-105mm. If I set it up at 115mm (same as at the back), can it damage the bike frame? It might relax the head angle a bit. Will that extra 10mm have ill effects on handling? I am not a serious racer and will be using the bike for XC riding and light trail.
Using a "fit calculator" available on the net gives me a stem length of 110-120mm. It seems as if this length will give a sluggish handling steerer. Anyone that uses a 110-120mm stem on this bike? Wouldn't a 100mm be more appropriate for my intended use?

Thanks.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have this exact setup - blur xc with 120mm stem and 115mm reba team.

I experimented with different stem lengths - 80mm, 100mm, 120mm...I never noticed a difference in handling 'quickness'. I think you just get used to whatever you are riding.

In my experience, stem length has a pretty significant effect on riding position (shorter stem = more upright), descending (the shorter the stem, the further back you can shift your weight), and wheelies (shorter stem = easier to lift the front wheel, even a 2cm difference can be really noticeable here).

For various reasons I prefer a stretched out roadie type position so I run a 120mm most of the time.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had a few hickups with the Cane creek S3 headset (Rather go for the Chris King or FSA), but the bike is running fine now.
115 mm fork travel and 100mm stem (which I had). I will try the longer stem sometime.
A much softer bike than the Anthem I had. And just as quick. Much the same weight.
Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.