Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally going to buy a new bike and have narrowed down my choices to the Blur XC, Racer X or Scalpel.

Thing is, I plan to do a little XC racing this year, but also some endurance events and adventure racing. Does one of these stand out above the others as the best all-around bike?

Thanks!

·
Registered
268 Posts
with shocks and their awesome dampening these days, i would ditch the blur...VPP will cause your rear end to lock up when you don't want it to.

So down to my choice, the Racer-X, or the scalpel. back when i bought mine in 2005, the scalpel was obviously still a 2.5" travel bike, which drew me towards the racer-x.

this is where it really gets down to preference. The X does have an advantage with the horst link, scalpel acts more like a single pivot. titus has quicker turning, scalpel is slightly slower....what's your riding style/preferences/current ride

scalpel is also lighter...

good luck!

·
AKA Dr.Nob
887 Posts
I know this isn't an answer but...

All three bikes are good bikes, there's no real standout. The biggest difference is going to be what YOU like

Ride them all and buy your favorite.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't ride them all...it's nearly impossible to find a shop that carries high-end bikes in small sizes :(

I have a classic blur but it's had problems for years, so I'm a bit wary of getting a new one. I tested a medium Scalpel but it was obviously too big (I'm 5'4"). Ugh!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Considered a Santa Crux Superlight? I ride a BXC, I didn't face any lock up issues, just have to be diligent to grease the bottom pivot once a year. My riding buddy had a Titus X Carbon, cracked and still waiting for replacement. Get the Al model. Horst link is still a single pivot no matter how you look at it.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
My wife has a Blur XC and I rode a 2006 Racer X for two years. How they compare.

-The Racer X has a racier feel, while the Blur is super plush. The Blur really doesn't give up any efficiency to suspesion motion, but the price you pay for the plushness and efficiency is a little pedal kickback in the granny gear.
-The Racer X has less frame flex than the Blur XC, quite a bit less. At 5'4" though, you probably are fairly light and may not need all that rigidity. The Racer X is the stiffest (rigidity) cross country racer I've ever ridden (hardtails included), and it handles very well because of it.
-The Racer X has as much tire clearance as you will ever need, while the Blur's Seat Stay bridge is really close to the tire and stops the wheel in mud.
-The Blur frame is lighter, by .5-1 lb.
-Both make make for a great trail/race bike. I never felt the need to hold back on my Racer X, in any situation.
-Oh yeah, the Blur XC can climb anything, regardless of how steep, it's unbelievable how it gets traction everywhere. The Racer-X is also a good technical climber, but something about the Blur lets it just crawl up anything.

I have a good friend who has owned two Racer-X's (Al & Carbon) and a Scalpel Team. He says that the Scalpel makes for a better all out race bike as it will be about 2-2.5 lbs lighter with an equivalent build. But if most of your riding is off the race course, the Racer-X is the better all around bike.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm a little biased but I LOVE my Racer-X - it is a perfect endurance race bike. Enough travel to take the edge off but still super efficient and racy. And you will NEVER have a maintenance issue with the frame. As mentioned, the Blurs are known for wear issues. Finally, no proprietary parts to deal with, unlike the Cannondale; you can run whatever front wheel your heart desires :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Scalpel is by far the fastest choice, but won't be quite as easy to handle in rough terrain. I'm not sure why anyone would choose the racer x over the Pivot Mach 4 - seems to have all the advantages of the Racer X and more responsive pedaling, though maybe slightly heavier.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
X

I really like the looks of the new Racer X. It seems like they addressed the things I didn't like about the past models. I never felt like the travel was used very well compared to my ASR. They bumped it up and changed the rates. Out of your 3 picks, I'd go with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.