Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
I looked it up as well.... I feel sorry for the high bidder.

I was recently shopping for a bike and looked at Ebay as great source for used Santa Cruz's. It was this site (MTBR) that actually warned me against bidding on two SC's that were scams... (the Ebay listing asked the buyer to contact the seller prior to bidding).

About 5 years ago my wife bought a new horse trailer on Ebay ($6k purchase) with no worries.... I'm now nervous to by a sleeping bag for my kid on Ebay for fear of getting rooked (or worse). I hope Ebay is able to get a handle on this, I liked Ebay for years but I won't use it anymore because of these scams. This is the sort of thing that will erode confidence to the point of no return...

OK, I'm off the soapbox..... Next...

·
mtbr member
27 Posts
I saw that auction last night and thought it looked fishy. I remembered seeing those same pics in on the Santa Cruz forum. Sorry I had intended to PM you but got sidetracked with my daughter.

I loved the reponse to a question...

Q: What size is the bike? The title says Large and description says Small... Thank you, Erin
A: It is L, I've just made a misspelling in description.

...obviously not a large.

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
A great example of why I don't have an EBay account anymore. What a scum bag. And the carbon fiber frame description is my favorite part, by the way....
Should we ask him why he's trying to rip people off? I guess he wouldn't answer it though. Maybe we should just bombard him with questions.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Rthur2sheds said:
why not email the bidders and let them know, too...I almost did but didn't want to duplicate if they already have been notified
E-bay changed the rules. You can no longer contact members that you are not in contract with. They are trying to make it harder to go around them. I suppose it is smart on their part as I have closed many auctions early and sold outside of their system.

·
mtbr member
27 Posts
dscot420 said:
E-bay changed the rules. You can no longer contact members that you are not in contract with. They are trying to make it harder to go around them. I suppose it is smart on their part as I have closed many auctions early and sold outside of their system.
It is still possible to contact Ebay members. I sent messages yesterday to all bidders in the two bunk auctions. A few replied with thanks. Go to the Ebay member profile and select "contact member".

·
Registered
87 Posts
The same thing has happened to me before when selling a bike on ebay. The scammer took my exact pictures and write up and posted an ad right next to mine. Everytime I got ebay to remove it, they would post another ad. The scammer found me through mtbr.com classifieds and emailed me telling me that he would buy my bike for more than I was asking and that his shipping agent would pick it up an all this sh**. When I refused to sell it to him he got pissed and started copying my ad. Sucks, that stuff like that happens, but it's hard to get what your bike is worth off ebay anyways. Good for selling parts, bad for selling complete bikes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've had a ton of success using eBay since 1999, but unfortunately there are some scammers out there. I've been able to complete 122 transactions with zero problems through scrutinizing every member I've ever bought from. I'll never bid on an item that looks too good to be true. I'll never bid on an item from someone with less than 20 or so feedback. I always look at past items from the seller and if there is nothing current that I can look at in their history then I pass. I also look at how long they've been a member for. If they even have 1 negative then I pass them up. Most importantly, I never bid on items that ask me to contact them off eBay via another email adress. eBay will never come to your help if you engage in a off eBay transaction. I think people that try to get people to end auctions early to save a buck on the final value fee are lame. I also use PayPal for every transaction since it offers a buyer protection program.

Like every other purchasing channel in the world, there is risk with using eBay. However, I believe you can be very safe if you use the tactics that I describe above.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I am an avid Ebayer myself. I have been burned from both ends, as a buyer and seller. Both times I never saw it coming. I sold a hub recently that was an ebay purchase but sold it again as it was a 36 hole rear, and the rims showed up as 32. It is easier to ship the hub, so I sold it. The newby who bought it (his first ebay buy) claimed the bearings were worn, even though the grease was a crystal clear blue factory grease. I got an unwarranted negative. Am I really that bad? I know there are 2 sides to every story (three, actually) but don't be so blanket on negatives. One of my negatives was a mistake, and the other was a retalitory negative from a scammer that took me for $200 US (at a time when the exchange rate really hurt).

I applaud your caution and recommend it, but don't be absolute in every case.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.