Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone set up a Monarch 3.3 for the Blur XC Carbon yet? The manual indicates you should set it at your weight and that sag should be in the 15-25% range. However when I set it at 190psi (I weight 190), I get 30 or 40% sag and the ride is way too plush. To get 25% sag, I've had to put 225+ psi in the shock and I still get a lot of shock movement. Does this sound right to anyone?

Rix

·
graps the nettle
519 Posts
departments of weights and measures

how much do you weigh?

i'm about 195 with clothes and backpack on, ready to ride. running right around 200psi at 25% sag.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm about 185 to 190. I was surprised I had to put it the shock at 230 psi, especially since the shock tells you not to exceed 275 psi. And at 230, it's still seems to have more sag and moves through it's travel more easily than the 5th element on my old blur classic. For a firm/race oriented ride, it appears that I may have to get it closer to 240 or 250 psi...which is a little worisom given it's posted psi limit.

I just wanted to make sure others were having the same experience setting this shock up. New owners please share what you're seeing with your Monarch.

BTW, SC just emailed me back and said they thought that 230 might be a bit much but hadn't made a proper set up guide for the Blur Carbon...wtf??? Wouldn't they think that a set up guide would be beneficial to the guys that just shelled out a wad of cash for this thing....and who's reviews will end up effecting how many they sell in the future???

This also makes me think that a clydesdale is going to have some real problems with this shock.

I'll post more about the set up after I get some ride time in this weekend.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I weigh 2 bills without my camelbak on. I have 210 psi in the 3.3, and run 1/3" sag, or o-ring at the bottom of the numbers. I tend to climb and ride the road to the trailhead with the lever in the propedal (or whatever rockshox calls it) position, and thats when I measure the sag. Then when I'm on dirt I flick it off and schralp. I could probably use a few more psi in there if I really wanted to run it all firm (which I don't) I could probably put more pressure in, but I'm pretty stoked on how it rides right now. The only bikes i run all firm either bottom out easy or pedal like crap. This one doesn't do either, so I'm happy with the 100mm of squish. I guess I should probably just lose some weight though, I'd hate to get too fat for my new bike.
I agree with your angst on no set-up guide from santa cruz coming with the frame, but there's only one setting: air pressure. Unfortunately it seems like that's the one giving you the trouble though...

·
Don't Stop Spinnin'!
659 Posts
why did they use this pos monarch? an rp23 would have been ideal. would an rp23 fit?

·
graps the nettle
519 Posts
try, then decide

ReD_tomato said:
why did they use this pos monarch? an rp23 would have been ideal. would an rp23 fit?
have you ridden the monarch, or are you basing your statement on conjecture?

·
Don't Stop Spinnin'!
659 Posts
MtotheF said:
have you ridden the monarch, or are you basing your statement on conjecture?
simply word of mouth. two friends have and they claim the rp23 is untouchable when comparing the two. I will try it soon, my Large carbon frame just arrived. so lets see...

anyone here have a personal review on the monarch 3.3?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got two rides in this weekend. No real problems with the shock though I'm still surprised at the psi I had to run to get the recommended sag vs. manufactures recommendation on the shock psi for the same amount of sag. Maybe I've gained more weight than I thought or maybe my shock pump is just way off.

BTW, the bike rides like dream. I would describe it as very smooth...not plush but very smooth...and extremely quick at the same time. I preferred to run it in the pro pedal (middle position) for most riding. Also very stable and predictable and speed and going downhill. Much better than my Racer X.

I think SC may have a winner here. Mine built up at 22.8 before pedals. XTR, Juicy Ulitmates, Mavic SL wheels with UST Maxxis Monorails. Nice stuff but it could definitely be built lighter. I'm going to wait a few more weeks before I post a review on MTBR but would be interested to hear what others think of their new BXCC's so far.

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel Bicycle frame

·
Registered
27 Posts
couple of thoughts

Rix...I wait anxiously for your review. I like the look of the fork--is that an '08 100 RLC? White looks nice too, but I like the 'diamond black' (I think that is the name our friends at fox call it). Very stealth. How does the fork feel mated with the Monarch? I have boxes of parts waiting to go on a medium carbon/silver and am dying to get it together. Hoping for a sub-22 build and will post when complete. (Stanny's tubeless wheels, xtr & SRAM bits, etc.).

MtotheF...I'm sure you've been badgered about deliveries on the mediums...any corporate words of wisdoom? Before May? Before tax day? Anyway...I think it will be worth the wait. Happy trails...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it is a 07 or 08 F 100 RLC. It was part of a old Santa Cruz build kit I saw at my shop. I immediately bought the black fork because of not a big fan of the white.

Fork feels good with the Monarch but I've always like the RLC. I've been surprised at how solid everything feels. It doesn't feel twitchy or flexy or harsh like a lot of race oriented bikes I've ridden. It feels more solid like what you would expect from a heavier trail bike but without the weight penalty or sluggishness.

When SC sent out their release, based on the geometry and description, it sounded as if they had heard what I had wanted and designed a bike around it. Over the last few years, I've had a blur classic, giant xtc hardail in alum and carbon and a titus racer X. I've also had extended test rides on a carbon scalpel and yeti asr. Even a quick spin on the carbon asr. I loved my old blur classic for genaral riding but always thought it was a bit sluggish and heavy. The hardtails were light and very quick but being over 40, they just beat me up more than I wanted and I like something I can ride more agressively. I never really liked my racer X and have been looking for another bike ever since I bought it. It handled well in general but it as a little nervous on the downhills and I constantly hit my pedals (I think the pedal thing is typical with the low bb fsr design) . The other race oriented bikes I rode either felt a little harsh or nervous also. Other than my old blur, I probably like the ASR the best. My biggest knock against it is that the top tube is a tad long for what I wanted and after a year since their release date, the new carbon ASR is still really hard to get...and a bit pricer than the blur C too...though I do really like the way the asr-c looks.

So far the new blur C seems to have addressed all my gripes above. It's extremely light and quick but stable and confident at the same time. At $2300 for the frame, it seems wrong to call it an all around XC bike but I say that in a very positive sense meaining it feels like it can be ridden agressively on XC trails but is also a race machine. From the bikes I've ridden in the past, it's always seemed like you had to sacrifice on one to get the other.

I really need to get a few more rides in on the bike before I have a final verdict but so far I'm very happy. Though I had high hopes when I placed the order, I really wanted to be sceptical at the same time. It's a leap of faith when you order a bike that you've never ridden. In the back of my mind, I was really afraid I was going to be let down or that there was going to be something about the bike I didn't like. But so far, so good. All smiles from me. My new Blur is sitting in my office as I write this and I can't wait to get off work this afternoon and go ride!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the update...great to hear you are pleased. I'm in a similar boat (purchased site unseen/unridden) and am hoping for the best. Been beating the hell out of a lightly builit 5-spot for about 5 years and got the nod from the spouse to build the BXCC. Hopefully it will arrive soon and should be able to build it up in a day or two. Happy trails...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MtotheF, thanks for the link.

I'm still toying around with shock/sag issue. I'm going to try it today closer to 15% sag. Had it around 25% and it pedals great...however, for me, it put the bottom bracket a little low when the suspension was active. Second ride out I clipped a small root with my pedal and it sent me flying...luckily the bike was ok. The root was low enought that I would never have clipped it on my blur clasic. I'm also noticing I'm hitting my pedals a lot more than I'd like on step ups and other technical stuff. That's my only knock against the bike so far..but it is something that is bothersome. My Racer X had the same problem and I hated it. Never had that issue with my old blur. Odd thing is both, per spec, have effectively the same BB heigth.

Maybe I should bump my tires from 2.1's to 2.2's?

·
graps the nettle
519 Posts
more blogtastic

so, after some head scratching and measuring, there's a follow-up post about sag setup on these bikes on our TOTALLY NEW, 100% AWESOME...

??

blog.

somehow i feel dirty saying that word. but we've got a blog, and in between pictures of those guys who wave haircut signs for a living, there'll be a pretty regular but informal stream of information about our bikes. latest entry in there is some food for thought about sag and shock setup on the carbon XC. thanks for reading:

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/104bronson/

·
www.AuburnBikeCompany.com
87 Posts
yes its true. you do weigh a lot more than the average 140lbs xc racer!

25% sag is the golden number. who cares what pressure it is. current shock technology even though it has psi limits currently will withstand pressures above 4500psi. if you understand VPP2 then you will not worry about max pressure settings.

Both monarch shocks at my shop needed new valve cores immediately because the shock pump had to be cranked down really tight to even get a real reading..

regardless of shock technology fox vs RS the pressure will be pretty much the same due to the leverage ratio of the linkage...you might have to actually add more air if the fox is a HV can..

just pin it ..that bike is made for climbing...2 water bottles and no compression dampners on rear shocks

enjoy!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok...the low pedal clearance/ shock sag thing is starting to bum me out. I've hit my pedals way to many times the last few days than I'm comfortable with. I've also read the above referenced blog and it seems the rider's weight is about the same as mine (190lbs) but what he's getting...sag based on a certain psi... is very different that what I'm coming up with. There appears to be about 40 psi difference between his shock settings for a particular sag and mine.

I just got finished measured the settings at a number of psi ranges and this is what I'm seeing.

Again, for me at 190lbs, rough readings are as follows..psi/ sag indicator/ actual measurement:

200 psi - 50% sag or 1.8 cm into stroke
230 psi - 35% sag or 1.4 cm into stroke
250 psi - 25% sag or 1.2 cm into stroke
270 psi - 20% sag or .9 cm into stroke

At 230 the shock blows through it's travel way too easy. O ring is off the shock shaft at the end of a ride over normal xc terain and way too many pedal strikes on g-outs, step ups and downhill sweeper turns.

Could there be a problem with the shock? I know there are differences between shock pumps but I've tried two diffent pumps and the reading were about the same.

Also wondering would another shock have differenct sag and travel characteristics?
And do you guys know if a 650b wheelset fit this bike? It would make for a nice option..run the shock plusher but not have to worry about a low bottom bracket.

Thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
MtotheF said:
so, after some head scratching and measuring, there's a follow-up post about sag setup on these bikes on our TOTALLY NEW, 100% AWESOME...

??

blog.

somehow i feel dirty saying that word. but we've got a blog, and in between pictures of those guys who wave haircut signs for a living, there'll be a pretty regular but informal stream of information about our bikes. latest entry in there is some food for thought about sag and shock setup on the carbon XC. thanks for reading:

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/104bronson/
Great info! Thanks everybody. Keep it up. When my frame gets here, it'll be easier to dial in. I, too, look wistfully at the "weight limit -175 lb. ultralite wheels".

cheers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts