Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been finding a lot of people selling their Blur TRC's now the Solo is available. I know plenty of people have been fitting 650b wheels to their TRC's but has anyone been doing this and fitting a 650b fork? Just wondering what the bike would be like and handles like with a 650b fork and 650b wheels?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm riding that setup. Rock Shox SID (120mm) up front and Fox Float for the rear. 23.7 with the Nic's and under 23.5 with Ikon's. I used a spacer on the Float to reduce to 120mm.

2013-11-12 12.54.41.jpg

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the 650b forks noticeably taller than the 26" forks?

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
I have been finding a lot of people selling their Blur TRC's now the Solo is available. I know plenty of people have been fitting 650b wheels to their TRC's but has anyone been doing this and fitting a 650b fork? Just wondering what the bike would be like and handles ulike with a 650b fork and 650b wheels?

Are you expecting a different AC hieght out of 650 fork. Not always the case.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Also curious about this.
I am considering to lower my 650b Pike to 130 and use on the TRc.
But it seems it would work better for heavier riders, so I might stay with my 32 Fox Float 140mm on this bike.
A/C 650b 130mm RS Pike = 522mm
A/C 26" 130mm Fox Float = 501mm (150mm = 521mm)

So basically, A/C 130mm 650b Pike = 150mm 26" Float

Also, offset is going to be different...

EDIT:
http://blahblahbikeblog.blogspot.ca/2014/01/reducing-rockshox-pike-rct3-solo-air.html?m=1

Based on RegularBob's measurements
160mm 650b Pike = A/C 545mm
So at 130mm it should be A/C 515mm

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Asking because I have some 650b wheels and a 650b fork, was thinking of getting a Solo but lots of people here say the Trc is such a great bike and the frames are selling 2nd hand cheap at the moment

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Asking because I have some 650b wheels and a 650b fork, was thinking of getting a Solo but lots of people here say the Trc is such a great bike and the frames are selling 2nd hand cheap at the moment

I hear you.
I was planning on getting a Solo, bit after some demo rides I have decided to stay with the TRc conversion.
You are in a slightly different position, since you don't have a TRc.

Here is where a TRc shines compares to a Solo/5010.
- a little bit more playful, poppy and jumpy (might be the shorter CS?)
- a slightly lighter frame
- can take 26" and 650b wheels (it is like having 2 bikes)
- slightly higher BB in 650b mode. This is highly subjective, but I find the 13.1 BB to be a bit too low for me.

Now, what is not so great about the 650b TRc:
- you cant run bigger tires in the back
- you need to limit the travel of the shock with some tires combination
- TRc is known for its disbonding issue, which might be a problem for a second hand owner without a warranty.

Since I already have a TRc, I decided to keep it and not make the switch.
I would reather wait at this point and see what the future brings.
I really liked the Pivot M6, and I already have a 650b RS pike :)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the disbonding issue and what tires are a problem?

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
What is the disbonding issue and what tires are a problem?

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=877523
SOLO review vs. TRc 650b

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=854470
Carbon disbonding issues....

Now, keep in mind that mainly those who had the issue post about it. There is many more of those who did not have this problem. Me included..

Some info here on Solo and TRc:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=898021
I found a bit more beast - a Solo story

Regarding the tires.
I have a 650b Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 in the back. When the tire was new, it hit the seat tube in the full shock compression. So I had to use some plastic spacers to limit the travel - about 2mm wide total. I removed them, since the tire is older now and it does not interfere with the ST anymore.
There are tires out there which aren't too tall and you can run them without any problems. But most of the big 650b >2.35 tires will not do without limiting the shock.
You can fit very big 26" in there...
TRc has one of the best tire clearance, that's why it makes it almost ideal 650b conversion. That and the low BB...

·
Registered
761 Posts
Anyone else have any input on adding a 27.5" fork to a TRC? I am thinking of doing this myself but wanted to get some input from those who have already done this. How is the ride with the taller fork? Can you notice a big difference in angles, in other words does it feel like you are riding a chopper? What fork are you running and how much travel?

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I hope I will be riding my Pike soon.
Still waiting for a 130mm air shaft to be available.
I might just send it to Avalanche to get a open bath treatment and get the current air shaft cut down.
I am sending my shock to Avy, so thinking to have it done at once.
The thing is, I would like to ride the Pike in its original condition first.
I will place the Pike next to the 26" 140mm 32 Float and measure the difference in A/C. Tomorrow.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I've been running my XFusion Sweep set to 130mm. It works great.
Thanks for the response, did you originally have a 26" fork on it and could you tell much of a difference when you put a 27.5" on?

·
Registered
69 Posts
It had the '13 Fox CTD 32 on it set to 140. I ran the 650b in it, but was uncomfortable with the clearance.

The Sweep is a dramatic improvement over the Fox. I'm sure that some of the handling changes come from the improved damping control and stiffness, but the offset change can't hurt!

I was worried about the slight increase of axle to crown, but now that I've put some time on it, I love the way it rides. I just wish it had more room for a bigger rear tire...

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Which rear tire are you running?
I have a Schwalbe Racing Ralph, but would like to get something with more grip with the same diameter to be able to fit in there...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts