Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a blur and are a bit concerned about the sizing. It is not possible to try all the sizes as my LBS only has Large in stock, which might be the right size....

I 'm just over 5'9 and according to the chart i should get a Large with a 90mm stem, a combination which i have tried and it seems a little large. But if i were to get a medium - the chart suggests a 120mm (!?) stem which is way big. What I really dont get is that if you look at the effective top tube length the decrease is 15mm not the 30mm increase that is required in stem length. Where has the extra 15mm come from? The sizings are the same for the SL too.

So anyone else my height on a large/medium, any opinions about which way to go would be welcome.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm 5'9" and have a M Blur with a 120mm stem. I feel a little cramped sometimes and have to be careful to keep my weight back. Not a huge problem, though. I don't feel the long stem puts me way too forward. It feels just right when flicking and jumping, but I wonder if a L/90mm would be more comfortable on long rides and more stable when powering through rough stuff.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got a 120mm stem on my XL Blur and it feels good, not too big, but that doesn't really answer your questions. My advice is to measure the reach on a bike you know you like/fits and match it with the TT and stem combo on the Blur.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My ride is a Blur Large with straight seatpost (Thompson) and a 100 mm stem. I am 5'9" with 33" inseam and 32"/33" reach (sleevelength). My first build was a Blur Medium with a 125 mm stem. But.....felt way too far over the front wheel on descents. A shorter stem and lay-back seatpost made the bike akward for climbing. So the LBS was great to let me swap out to the Large frame, as all parts for my build came off an older bike. An earlier thread months ago on this site showed a superimposed picture of the Large and Medium bikes together. The upshot was: slightly longer wheelbase for the large; almost identical standover at the top tube just forward of the seat point; and a "longer effective top tube length" for the large, based on (?slacker) angle of the seatpost on the Large, for the SAME seat height. What this translated (for me) was being "centered" on the Large which improved my confidence on more technical trails. But your fit clearly may depend on your height, inseam, and reach....and whether you feel the Medium is lighter and easier to handle for racing, etc.FWIW.

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
munkyboy said:
I'm thinking of buying a blur and are a bit concerned about the sizing. It is not possible to try all the sizes as my LBS only has Large in stock, which might be the right size....

I 'm just over 5'9 and according to the chart i should get a Large with a 90mm stem, a combination which i have tried and it seems a little large. But if i were to get a medium - the chart suggests a 120mm (!?) stem which is way big. What I really dont get is that if you look at the effective top tube length the decrease is 15mm not the 30mm increase that is required in stem length. Where has the extra 15mm come from? The sizings are the same for the SL too.

So anyone else my height on a large/medium, any opinions about which way to go would be welcome.
I'm 5'11'' and feel cramped with a 130mm stem on an XL frame.

-TS

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Question ???

Sherp - I thought you measured yourself again at 6'2" if I recall correctly from an old thread.....

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I'm 6'2", ride a large with 120mm x 6 degree stem and it fits real nice. I will also mention, that it does seem that the cocpit is longer than my large SL w/120mm x 10 degree stem. Maybe it's just the different rises in stems or someting, but on the SL the handlebars perfectly covered the front hub, whereas the blur's handlebars are about an inch in front of the front hub.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
- Early Blurs were 1/2 inch longer in the TT than Superlights.
According to the newest version of SCB's website, they're the same length now if memory serves me correct..............

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
DMFT said:
Sherp - I thought you measured yourself again at 6'2" if I recall correctly from an old thread.....
I said 6' and that was with my shows on (me=dumbass) and the shoes are freaking thick too with shocks. Adidas rule!

-TS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.