Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 5'11 and bought a medium Blur with a thompson laid back seat post and a 120mm stem and feel just fine. Looking at the recommended sizing from SC they state I should be riding a large frame. Although when I tested the large out, the top tube made me feel too streched out. This is my first Full Suspension bike and love my Hardtail racer (2004 Airborne Lancaster 18 in). Maybe this is why I feel more comfortable on the smaller frame. Is there anyone else with the same experience? I think SC should take a look at the sizing and change it up a little. I don't think I should be racing the same size frame as someone that is 6'2.

later
chopper

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
chopperguth said:
I'm 5'11 and bought a medium Blur with a thompson laid back seat post and a 120mm stem and feel just fine. Looking at the recommended sizing from SC they state I should be riding a large frame. Although when I tested the large out, the top tube made me feel too streched out. This is my first Full Suspension bike and love my Hardtail racer (2004 Airborne Lancaster 18 in). Maybe this is why I feel more comfortable on the smaller frame. Is there anyone else with the same experience? I think SC should take a look at the sizing and change it up a little. I don't think I should be racing the same size frame as someone that is 6'2.

later
chopper
I'm 6ft and ordered an XL because i have a lllooonnnggg torso and standover is not an issue. Sizing is such a personal thing that anything Santa Cruz says should be takin with a grain of salt. Try wrench science for the fit program, it says i need a 23.8in toptube with a 120mm stem but i go longer and run a 100-110mm stem. If Fisher or Trek could make a decent bike i'd be all over it because of Genesis geometry.

-TS

·
Registered
232 Posts
Some of its personal........

I started with the medium with a 90 mm stem and straight seat post, but I felt too far over the front wheel on decents. I'm 5'10" with 33 " inseam. The LBS allowed me to switch the frame to a Large, which centered the bike better for me, and I got a 100 mm stem as well. There seems to be little difference in wheelbase, top tube length, and standover height between the current Blur medium and Large, but enough difference to suit your riding needs. I do not race; if I did I would choose the medium for weight and better handling. For trail riding mainly, the large seems to center the rider better with my given dimensions.....but its a personal decision, and I hope you get a chance to ride both frame sizes FWIW. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts