Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Got A Lust for Life...
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about ordering a new LT but have some concern about the durability of the pivots. I am currently on a Heckler. That said, durability is not a concern. I read in a thread awhile back that the pivots needed to be replaced quite often. Is this still true? If so, I think I would actually pass on the frame. Let me know what is up.

· Registered
4,193 Posts
IMO - The pivot durability thing is a little over-played.
I do some p/t wrenching in the local shop my cousin manages so I'm down there often.
I'd say year to date there have been around 150 Blurs in service since they came out and yeah, we're seeing the earliest editions come in now for replacement. We've had a VERY wet winter here on the central-coast of Ca. and not one of the newest version Blurs has been back with any sort of accelerated wear & the DU bushing thing w/the Fox shocks also hasn't been too hot of a replacement item...
Again IMO - I think that since the redesign of the swingarm to the current Big Foot version, it's increased the stifness the back end (it was stiff before) and reduced the torsional forces on the bearings which so far has resulted in better bearing life. SCB could just be using better bearings for all I know - I haven't had a reason to tear into one to check out what's in there. I really don't think it's too big a deal to make or break missing out on a sweet ride.
Hope my lil' rant helps ya out.
- Dave

· Registered
4,193 Posts
You are Welcome IF.

- C'mon folks! Gotta be more peep's with an opinion than just me!?!?! 175 Views, 1 Guy chimes in.

· Registered
3,976 Posts
indyfab25 said:
I am thinking about ordering a new LT but have some concern about the durability of the pivots. I am currently on a Heckler. That said, durability is not a concern. I read in a thread awhile back that the pivots needed to be replaced quite often. Is this still true? If so, I think I would actually pass on the frame. Let me know what is up.
The Blur LT bearings should be as reliable as the Blur bearings (whatever that means). The one caveat is that this is the first year for the LT. You always take a chance with a new design.

· Registered
25 Posts
My Blur is about 12 months old and I've gone through 3 bearings and 1 bushing. To be fair though I ride with a whole bunch of Blurs and mine is the only lemon as far as bearings go. The other point here is that it has been the exact same bearing each time. Non drive side bottom bracket bearing. Both my LBS and SC distributor are interested enough to fix it for free each time and are maintaining a keen interest on it's longevity. So apart from a couple of hours downtime each time it's happened it has affected me due to the service I have received. I'm don't really ride the bike that hard.

Having said that I would be first in line to buy another as it is such a great trail bike.

· gravity curmudgeon
1,503 Posts
I bought a used blur about this time last year. No problems of any kind so far, even though last year's riding season included lots of wet, muddy, and snow covered trails. At the time I purchased the bike I asked around and was advised that I might need to replace the pivot bearings at some point. I called SC and ordered a set, including their tool. So far those items are collecting dust; however, I don't mind being prepared and have no issues with maintenance that might be annual to semi-annual or so.

Darn good bike so far, both in terms of riding (for my interests) and durability.

· Registered
4,193 Posts
Out of curiosity

1770 said:
My Blur is about 12 months old and I've gone through 3 bearings and 1 bushing. To be fair though I ride with a whole bunch of Blurs and mine is the only lemon as far as bearings go. The other point here is that it has been the exact same bearing each time. Non drive side bottom bracket bearing. Both my LBS and SC distributor are interested enough to fix it for free each time and are maintaining a keen interest on it's longevity. So apart from a couple of hours downtime each time it's happened it has affected me due to the service I have received. I'm don't really ride the bike that hard.

Having said that I would be first in line to buy another as it is such a great trail bike.
- Can you tell me which Swingarm you have?
V brake or Disc only???
Thank You.

· white boy extraordinaire
241 Posts
I've had mine for over a year now....

I"m on my third set of bearings. And like 1770 said, same set every single time. I go to the shop here and there and I'm the worst case. They said it could be the swingarm, and they were ready to send it in when Willy from SC recommended some new "high performance" bearing set. So, I'll be getting it back soon and well see. All of my other bearing work great and I really think it was a slight abnormality in the swingarm and don't know any other blur owners with the same issue.

· Registered
4,193 Posts
Thanks 1770......

My thoughts are that the Big-Foot Swingarm had more than just Tire-Clearance as it's main goal or even asthetics for that matter.

- I don't think a single Big-Foot Swingarm has been in for a DU bushing or Bearing to my LBS. :D

· Registered
1,498 Posts
My blur is about 10 months old...I have the narrower rear swing arm and the bearings are just fine. I probably have about 2000 miles on it and it has been very wet and muddy this year and the bike gets hosed off all the time and no problems. The only issue I had was a squeak when the bike was a few weeks old...turned out to be some of the pivots were not torqued down sufficiently...since fixing that, no issues.

· Registered
17 Posts
DMFT said:
You are Welcome IF.

- C'mon folks! Gotta be more peep's with an opinion than just me!?!?! 175 Views, 1 Guy chimes in.
i have an 04 blur and i have to say, it's been a fair amount of back to the shop for me, play here, creak there, play again a month later...it's disheartening. i haven't actually had to spend much money or replace much. just had the du bushing done and it was cheap...but i went for a ride and there's play again. back to the shop tomorrow. overall i'm still happy and would have trouble considering a different bike. seems fiddly so far though. asking around some people say not much difference from most, some say they suspect that there's a lot of load on those linkages. haven't met any real detractors, just read them online. and there are a lot of blurs out there. i don't know...will wait to hear the explanation when i approach shop again. i hate it when your buddy rides his really old fsr and it's lasting six times longer between services.... still, as soon as i look at or sit on the bike i'm charmed. kind of like having a slightly mean spouse...that's really hot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.