Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im in the market for my first full suss., and have been checking out santa cruz. im 5'11 210 and ride xc, no plans to race just want a good reliable bike. so which sounds better for me blur or superlight????

thanks!!

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
Yup, you are too heavy for a Blur XC, you would have to go LT.

My wife went from a Heckler(favorite bike of all time) to a Superlight then to a BLT1......she has since completely forgotten about the Heckler. Her new BLT2 should be here next week.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
bcf811 said:
the blur lt seems like alot of bike to pedal around
An Equally spec'd Superlight would only be about 1 lb. lighter

My wife's LT1 is jsut under 28 lbs.

Medium PC RP23
X9 Shifters
X9 R Der
XT F Der
XT Cassette
540 Pedals
'07 Talas 32
DT 240/Velocity VXC Wheels
Hayes HFX-9 6" discs
Truvativ Stylo Team Cranks
Thomson Post
FSA XC 115 Stem
Answer Carbon Lite Riser
King HS
Terry Butterfly Saddle
2.4 WTB Mutanoraptor/2.35 Small Block 8

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
the single pivot might be a better choice at your weight; the vpp is more of a hassle to clean anually, ect.. especially if you dont like to work on your bike. honestly, most people wouldnt notice the feel of a single pivot to a vpp in a lot of situations, and since this is your first full suspension, i doubt you will, too. let the flaming begin...

·
Tough Guy Extraordinaire
601 Posts
The SL is the better deal from a price standpoint. I have mine to just below 25lbs. However, you should consider the Blur based on your weight. Not sure but I remember some folks warning of heavier riders on the SL. Not sure what they were talking about, but the rear on the SL could be a bit more stiff. This may be worse if you are bigger.

If I was you, I would ride them both and see which feels better. Get the frame you want with the build kit based on your budget. You can always upgrade parts when you have the dough. Whatever you do though, upgrade to the RP23 with the frame!

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
bcf811 said:
yeah but i dont have 4k for a bike, more like 2-2500
IF that is the case, you will not get into a Blur, XC or LT.......at least not new. Frame prices start at $1799. Both are gonna start about $3k complete.

Superlight on the other hand, you can get into a complete RXC Kit for about $2300.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There's a Bike store in Portland Or bikegallery.com that is having some great sales. I'm planning on picking up the MD Heckler Monday. Sale price is now $2099

This is the Santa Cruz's on sale:thumbsup:
Bryon

Santa Cruz Blur LT X9 AM '08 MD Black 2,499.97 3,599.99
Santa Cruz Blur LT2 R AM LG
XL Green
White 2,399.97 3,099.99
Santa Cruz Blur LT2 SPX XC XL Black 3,299.97 4,149.99
Santa Cruz Blur LT2 X9 AM MD
LG Black
Grey 3,499.97 4,399.99
Santa Cruz Blur XC SPX MD
LG Black
Silver 2,799.97 3,599.99
Santa Cruz Heckler X9 AM MD
LG Black
White 2,299.97 2,999.99
Santa Cruz Superlight RXC LG
XL Black
Orange 1,699.97 2,199.99
Santa Cruz Superlight RXC F100R XL Black 1,599.97 1,999.99

·
Registered
136 Posts
+1 BLT. I am in your weight class and would not go with anything less. You can still find a new BLT (old stock not BLT2) at some LBSs and online at some pretty good prices. As you progress on a FS, and you will, the BLT will take you a long ways over a lot of different terrain.

Good luck!

·
CrgCrkRyder
2,373 Posts
I have a BLT and love it. I tried out a Superlight, but it just didn't feel right ( I was used to a full travel bike). Salesman put me on a Blur LT and it just clicked. I would definitely try out both. You want the one that feels best for you, even if you have to scamble to find the extra cash. Its a pretty big investment either way you go.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.