Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So whats the deal. 2010 Blur LT2. Does the chain really rub the bottom of the stay and the lower link boss when in certain gear combos. Still uncertain about purchasing the Blur I've got a chance to buy. Some great folks answered my fork question earlier but now I've seen/read some things about this issue with the Blur. Any light you can shine??
Thanks,
TJM

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
Yup, it is an issue . . . easily resolved with some sort of protector. I used heavy duty waterproof electrical tape and the issue is moot.

·
Registered
404 Posts
it is there, it does suck, i wish santa cruz would fix it because its a major downfall of the bike- however a protector does help- i will be using tape and am now using a lizard skin protector and it should be ok-

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Steel on plastic has very little friction. If you use Stay Wrap (or any other brand of spiral cut plastic cable management w/ significant thickness), you won't even notice the rub.
I use rubber electrical (mastic) tape under the Stay Wrap to deaden the sound/vibration.
The BLTc has a piece of steel on the stay to keep the carbon from being violated by the chain, if this could persuade your buying decision.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had mine for over two years now and as others have said it only happens in certain gears and can be easily covered to prevent it. Apart from looking unsightly (the marks caused) mine hasn't really caused any damage.

By the bike you will love it!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. What gear combos does this occur in? I could see maybe severe cross-chaining situations but just curious. Sorry for my ignorance I have never really looks at SC for my bike needs until now so I don't know much about them.

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
For me, it happens in the granny ring only. Not an issue (that I'm aware of) in the middle ring.

I should also add that its not that bad really . . . I put tape on the bike right outta the shop and after several hundred miles, its still intact. The tape is chewed up a little, but not shredded by any means.

You're going to get chain slap no matter what bike you buy . . . it doesn't affect anything but the paint/clear coat and it makes the bike look *GASP* . . . ridden.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.