Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Blur LT2 carbon or Nomad 2 ??

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  jeffus 
#1 ·
I'm going to order a BLT2 carbon hopefully in the next week or so, but I'm enjoying my 07 Nomad so much, I have a dilemma do I forget the BLTc and just get a new Nomad 2, the Blur would be to replace my Heckler, but the Nomad has been awesome and my riding has started to improve, I thought my Heckler was great but the Nomad seems to suit me so much better, I'm worried to make the wrong choice, what would you guys do??

#2 ·
yup

I know what you mean. I've got a gen 1 nomad, which I adore. I'm interested in the BLTc also, but not as a replacement. More like a mistress. Build up the BLTc as a lightweight crusher and put a totem or something tall and burly on the front of my nomad. Two girls, two different personalities, too much fun! drool. now I just need a few extra grand!
If SCB ever releases a matte black BLTc then I'll pull the trigger asap. Until then....who knows.

I'd say keep your Nomad, and build up a different animal.

Porch

#4 ·
aardvark , I still am an avid supporter of the Heckler, but I recently bought an 07 Nomad swopped all my parts of the Heckler over and have been riding the Nomad, I've found that the Nomad seems to suit me more, the bike just seems to be more a part of me when I ride, never thought I would find a bike that felt better than my Heckler, but it does, I will never knock the Heckler they are awesome, I rode a BLT2 the other week and I would say the difference between that bike and the Heckler in minimal , slightly improved grip on climbs and with the rp23 shock it felt almost like the Heckler with a coil, DH about the same.
Thats why I have a dilema will the carbon BlurLT be that much better than my Heckler?
or do I just have the new Nomad as a do it all bike, and sell my 07. I usually have two bikes one I ride on my own and the other is a light weight that I ride with my friends they are all super quick xc guys , but recently I've been keeping up fine on my Nomad where I always slightly struggled on the Heckler. So with that in mind do I just go for one bike , I bought the 07 Nomad just to try out a Nomad for a while before spending £2000 on a new frame. I'm screwed my family don't want me to sell my Heckler because they know how much I've enjoyed riding it, and I can't make up my mind which way to go.If I had a load of money it would not be a problem one of each would be the answer...I will still have my hard tail for the winter months of salt and mud, so I won't be bikeless if my main bike is down for any reason.

#9 ·
gticlay said:
I've found that having two bikes really saves me when a fork blows out or a wheel dies... you can just ride the other till it is fixed.
I agree a couple of my mates have one bike, and they put it in for repair and it can be 1-2 weeks before they get them back, both of them earn far more than me and can easily afford another bike, but are happy waiting, for me I find it hard to miss my fix:D and they both ride them until they break , and I'm talking about not bothering with fork service until they seize or collapse , BB hanging out of the bearings and screwing up the chain, I don't see the point, to me I like to keep on top of the maintenance, and keep riding, :thumbsup:

#10 ·
I was in the same boat you are in, I had an 05 Heckler and 08 Nomad. I was itching for a BLT2, I finally pulled the trigger on the BLT2 and have been happier ever since. Both the Nomad and Heckler were great bikes but I have since sold both of them and only have the BLT2 right now. I have my eyes set on a BLTc also but will wait a bit longer to see what everyone thinks of them before I pull the trigger. Good luck in your decision as it is a tough one to make or at least it was for me.

#11 · (Edited)
jeffus said:
I agree a couple of my mates have one bike, and they put it in for repair and it can be 1-2 weeks before they get them back, both of them earn far more than me and can easily afford another bike, but are happy waiting, for me I find it hard to miss my fix:D and they both ride them until they break , and I'm talking about not bothering with fork service until they seize or collapse , BB hanging out of the bearings and screwing up the chain, I don't see the point, to me I like to keep on top of the maintenance, and keep riding, :thumbsup:
I have three bikes and its all great till I get behind with the maintenance then its no fun.

Right now my hardtail got a flat tyre, my BLT2 has seize pedals with one stuck on the crank :madman: and the Nomad needs new sealant in the tubeles tires cause they loose air mid ride. All my bikes need the drive train cleaned to.

#13 ·
other aardvark said:
I have three bikes and its all great till I get behind with the maintenance then its no fun.

Righy now my hardtail got a flat tyre, my BLT2 has seize pedals with one stuck on the crank :madman: and the Nomad needs new sealant in the tubeles tires cause they loose air mid ride. All my bikes need the drive train cleaned to.
:D :D :D Life's full of problems, I'm a nut I usually strip my bike and rebuild it every couple of months and clean and replace bits, I did get to a point where my Heckler and Nomad where in bits and I only had a DH rig to ride 45lb my legs hurt for days and I then sold the DH bike:D :D and spent the money sorting my other bikes.

#14 ·
jeffus said:
:D :D :D Life's full of problems, I'm a nut I usually strip my bike and rebuild it every couple of months and clean and replace bits, I did get to a point where my Heckler and Nomad where in bits and I only had a DH rig to ride 45lb my legs hurt for days and I then sold the DH bike:D :D and spent the money sorting my other bikes.
Yeah, its a nice problem to have. :thumbsup: Im very indecisive so sometimes my brain hurts trying to choose my steed for the occasion. Lately the hardtail is winning just because its a get on and ride kind of bike.

#15 ·
Hardtails rock, I've ordered an Orange p7 for the winter, I had a DMR trailstar but it was just a bit small 16" great fun , the orange is a 17" and will take a 140mm fork so I'm going to put a Revelation on , some stans converted wheels because come the winter, the farmers cut all the hedges and thorns are a big issue, and I have an Slx group set to go on, should be a nice winter bike no links or bearings to clag in the winter salt and mud. I find the steel frames less harsh on my old back, and I have a carbon post just to help.
I'm still confused the ride didn't help :D but my Nomad is superb fun to ride, I fitted my freshly serviced and Push'd DHX-5 and its tight up back no wallowing on fast bends:thumbsup:

#17 ·
Two bikes...light build on the BLTC and medium burly on the Nomad. I'd hate to have just one bike. Your frame of mind even changes from day to day to fit a different type of riding and the bike to do it with.

Jeffus, I definitely understand the Heckler issue. My trail Bullit is basically a burly Heckler, and it sits idle most of the time while I ride either my Nomad or SJ FSR.

#18 ·
Personally, I have no use for a 'light bike' and a 'regular AM bike'. I have the Nomad2 and I'm selling the Heckler to pay for a Pivot Firebird (167mm travel). I do keep up on the maintenence but sometimes stuff breaks that requires some downtime and I like to keep ridin'.

#20 ·
A MAN CALLED HORSE said:
Ride what you've got 'till the carbon Nomad appears!
Carbon Nomad man that must be next , it's only a matter of time I guess:D :D

TNC the Nomad is working out soo good it's been my best ride ever, it seems to suit my riding style spot on, first time I've ever been able to mix it with the XC guys I ride with , actually led the pack on one trail climbing and riding like the wind, Heckler would do it but not for long I would be burnt out quickly, Nomad definitely takes less energy out of my legs, or makes better use of it, :thumbsup:

Is the new Nomad 2 better? the debate seems to go both ways, my LBS seems to think you don't need any thing over 4" of travel , I have to disagree the Nomad seems to blow that theory out of the water, and I'm guessing the BLT2 alloy or carbon will be the same this vpp has something going for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.