Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First ride on my new Blur LT2 resulted in the derailleur hanger breaking at the lower bolt hole. No impact occurred - it just suddenly came apart. Derailleur ended up in the wheel and sustained some cosmetic damage. Broke the chain but, fortunately did not damage any spokes.

Has anyone had issues with this derailleur hangar? It seems a bit flimsy to me.

Santa Cruz said that mine was the first reported instance of a broken hangar on the new Blur and, during our conversation, obliquely implied that the failure was somehow my fault. As a long time SC customer, I didn't appreciate their attitude, however they did replace it promptly for me.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Because this is a rare occurance - I'll just ask how short was your chain? Sounds like a short chain although this can 'just happen' on any bike from time to time. My brother had a Kona Stinky where this would happen quite often. Replaced the rear end, all kinds of stuff and it was just haunted.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not mine

I've slammed my BLT2 hanger a few times and straightend it too, and nothing like what you say has occurred. I have an extra hanger just in case but the straightening has worked fine. Sounds like you may have a short chain or a F'd up hanger.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys thanks for the comments about chain length.
I had sized the chain one, or maybe two, links longer than required - about 112 links - so had ruled out chain length as a possible cause.
I suspect that the hangar itself was already damaged, or flawed, when I received the frame.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The weird thing is I wasn't even doing anything that wild at the point it snapped - had just hopped over maybe a 6" log and was pedaling out....next thing I know the derailleur is bouncing off my spokes.

That isn't to say something didn't damage it earlier in the ride, but I know it wasn't damaged before I left as I'm pretty meticulous with my drivetrain.

Carry spares people,...probably goes without saying but I'm sure there are other dummies like me.

·
Registered
472 Posts
let the air out of the shock and compress the shock all the way.
Then check if the chain is long enough. I had to do this on my LT1.
I was SHOCKED to see how much chain length is used with the shock compressed.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
hypokondriak and Loll - please post some pictures with the bicycle in the big/big, fully extended, in the middle of the travel, and fully compressed. Then we'll see if the chain is the right length :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hah no kidding. Or how about this - I'm on my second chain, which happens to be the exact same size of the one from the factory, which I ran last year and this year without issue. It also happens to have a 2 link overlap in big to big. I'm pretty sure it is right. :)

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
hypokondriak said:
Hah no kidding. Or how about this - I'm on my second chain, which happens to be the exact same size of the one from the factory, which I ran last year and this year without issue. It also happens to have a 2 link overlap in big to big. I'm pretty sure it is right. :)
Well, it's not the derailleur hanger - I have gone many, many miles, jumps, and bumps on both my Heckler and my Nomad 2... and never had a problem at all with the exact same hanger as on the LT2. I did snap one off but that was because the hub shell cracked and locked the back up, tearing the der off the bike. Like the other guy said, it is shocking to see how much chain extension there is on the VPP bikes. You can have what appears to be excess chain on the bike in big/big but then when you cycle it through the travel, it's not enough.

·
Registered
281 Posts
gticlay said:
Well, it's not the derailleur hanger - I have gone many, many miles, jumps, and bumps on both my Heckler and my Nomad 2... and never had a problem at all with the exact same hanger as on the LT2. I did snap one off but that was because the hub shell cracked and locked the back up, tearing the der off the bike. Like the other guy said, it is shocking to see how much chain extension there is on the VPP bikes. You can have what appears to be excess chain on the bike in big/big but then when you cycle it through the travel, it's not enough.
I suppose this would be a good comparison if we ignored the countless unknown variables between your physical makeup and mine, your riding style and mine, the terrain your ride and mine, and not knowing if our parts came from even the same hunk of metal.....oh and the fact that you are riding completely different bikes/designs/styles than mine.

·
Registered
281 Posts
gticlay said:
I suppose this would be a good comparison if we ignored the countless unknown variables between your physical makeup and mine, your riding style and mine, the terrain your ride and mine, and not knowing if our parts came from even the same hunk of metal.....oh and the fact that you are riding completely different bikes/designs/styles than mine.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
hypokondriak said:
There are quite a few BLT2 riders out there not breaking off the hangers. Most likely, it's the chain length. If we can get a looksee, it's probable someone will notice something and the problem can be resolved.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.