Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title really i've had an LTc since October and have been through two sets of lower DU bushings, is this normal?!

·
Registered
808 Posts
I had a 2005 BLT and had many problems with creaks! Solve it with BETD strong bushes, no more problems since 2005 to 2008.
With my BLT2 that I have since 2008 I don't have any problem with creaks, bushes, nothing.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
They really don't last long on anything...but VPP bikes eat them for breakfast. The design sucks.

·
Threading freely...
325 Posts
How much better are needle bearings? Even if the DU bushings don't last very long, they can be had for $2.50 (from a forum member who also sells the tool). Properly installed they do last reasonably long, and even if they need to be changed a couple of times a year, that's $5. I've noticed that one needle bearing set is $50! That's 20 DU bushing replacements; by the time you go through 20 of these, my guess is that you will be riding another frame.

·
Registered
779 Posts
But its not only the added durability. The needle bearings make a noticable improvement in small bump compliance.

·
Registered
851 Posts
The needle bearings will certainly be more durable, and possibly give better feedback, however the jury is still out on whether or not they are completely play free. If you take a look over on the thread (in the shocks & suspension forum) about the bearings some users report no play at all, some report they still get some right after install with no use on them.

Since the existence of play in the bushings is what specifically caused the OP to post and ask, Im guessing that even with increased sensitivity, he would not be willing to trade off on the constant existance of play. I fall into this category myslef.

Fortunately, there is a middle ground, which I just got for my Nomad. Im assuming youre using a Fox shock? Call Fox, and order the straight through steel pin kit. Instead of 2 pieces of aluminum for the reducers, its a single piece steel pin, that has washers, of sorts, that slide on around the pin to keep the shock from walking back & forth. It serves 3 purposes 1) since it slides all the way through the bushing, it contacts the entire interior surface of the bushing (many times the 2 piece reducers dont completely meet in the middle of the bushing). 2) being a single piece that slides all the way through, it is not effected by any side load placed on it by the shock bolt. With 2 piece reducers, just the act of torquing down the shock bolt is restricting the rotation of the reducers to a degree. And finally, the steel is much harder than aluminum reducers, and is polished very smooth, so it will rotate nicely in the bushing, giving you some better sensitivity

The reducers cost $13 per from Fox. They dont include new bushings, but those are fairly cheap as stated above. This set up should have you play-free, with increased sensitivity for quite a while.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts