Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Warrior
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any opinions on how the SC Blur (now I guess I should say SC Blur LT or XC) compares to the Titus Moto-Lite? They seem like pretty similar designs.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Tobman said:
Anyone have any opinions on how the SC Blur (now I guess I should say SC Blur LT or XC) compares to the Titus Moto-Lite? They seem like pretty similar designs.
Completely different bikes:

Rear Suspension:

Blur: VPP 4.5" travel
ML: Horst link (swing link..or is it strut?) 4 or 5" travel..adjustable

Head and Seat angles, respectively:

B: 71, 73.5
ML: 70.5, 73

These 2 bikes are very different. First you have to decide if you prefer the qualities of VPP or Horst link. Then you have to decide what kind of Fork. If you want a 5" fork...the Blur is out...maybe the Blur LT , but that's more of a Pure trailbike (maybe light FR).

The new Blur (2005) has room for a fairly large tire in the rear. I hear the moto Lite is very limited.

·
Warrior
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Horst Link?

Is that a Horst Link design, if so I am confused. Looks very similar to the SC to me, but I am pretty clueless about rear suspension designs. I find the terminology and descriptions rather confusing.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Tobman said:
Is that a Horst Link design, if so I am confused. Looks very similar to the SC to me, but I am pretty clueless about rear suspension designs. I find the terminology and descriptions rather confusing.
Horst lInk only refers to a pivot on the chainstay that is forward and below the rear dropout. Horst link bikes come in at least 3 versions.....Rocker *(Turner 5 Spot, Ellsworth moment, etc), swing link (Moto Lite), strut (Titus Racer X). I forget if the Moto Lite is a strut or swing link.

There's no replacement for testing the different designs for yourself. If you can't....visit the different forums. In this case...post this same question in the Titus Forum...them review all the responses. You should get some good info. Ask different riders what they like and dislike about their bikes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
If you want a 5" fork...the Blur is out...maybe the Blur LT , but that's more of a Pure trailbike (maybe light FR).
Regarding the "more of a pure trailbike" comment...

A 5" fork on the motolite should slacken the geometry a bit; the published spec is for a 4" fork. I know on some bikes this can be almost 1 degree of difference.

I personally would also have to get the small Titus frame, which is actually a longer toptube than the medium Santa Cruz. (22.7" vs. 22.5").

headtube angles:
small ML: 70.25 with 4" fork, slacker with 5" (possibly 69.5?)
med BLT: 69.5 with 5" fork

I don't think the weights are far off. So I guess what I'm saying, without having ridden either of these things, with the ML in 5" mode and considering the BLT's VPP, I think they are pretty comparable. Seems like it should come down to fit and VPP versus adjustible-travel-Horst. And, uh, tire clearance, since that pops up whenever someone mentions ML.

I've been looking at bike specs too much lately...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.