Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my heart set on a Blur but my wallet is saying something different.

I almost prefer to buy something used but my primary concern is staying sub 2K.

I'll be doing trail riding on rocky hills. Not much in the way of drops but a lot of heavy bumps. I only weight 150lbs so I'm thinking I might be able to get away with a lighter rig.

Suggestions please please.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 100 04' or 05 model. I was looking at the Blur too, then moved down to the Yeti 575.....still too much money but nice bikes. Finally found an 04' Stumpy that has been great ($1450)! Price sure does have an impact doesn't it!!

Good luck!

·
Registered
189 Posts
You might take a look at the Giant Trance's, 4" travel lots of talk about how nice of a ride they are. A Trance2 would run 2k or less and it's not spec'd too badly imo.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
04' Spec Enduro

zaefod said:
I've got my heart set on a Blur but my wallet is saying something different.

I almost prefer to buy something used but my primary concern is staying sub 2K.

I'll be doing trail riding on rocky hills. Not much in the way of drops but a lot of heavy bumps. I only weight 150lbs so I'm thinking I might be able to get away with a lighter rig.

Suggestions please please.
I've seen the experts for less than 2K. For 2K or less id be thinking 04' models on closeout.

·
Registered
204 Posts
How about a superlight? If you don't want to go with something that every Tom, Dick and zenorb rides then you could get a Mountain Cycle Zen. Either of those would be great for what you describe and would give some upgrade room as well.

I posted links to places to buy either of those for under 2k (actually under $1880 I think) a day or so ago.... I'll see if I can find it.

Found it... the MC Zen is only $1700! you can upgrade the brakes to julies for another $89.

CLICK ME

Hollowpoint is an option but probably a bit much bike for what you are after.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like I can get a new Heckler R for 2300 so I might just bite the bullet. There's also a Yeti ASR in town for about the same $$. It's that or stumpsville.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Couple of dw-link options for you.

There are some great deals right now on 2004 Hollowpoint Experts. The dw-link is a VPP-like linkage, but (IMHO) better (no stiffening under pedaling torque, zero pedal feedback -- fabulous suspension going both up and down). The frame construction is trailbike/xc, not really heavy enough for freeride.

In that same vein, IH has a purpose built XC rig coming called the Azure, and a more muscle Hollowpoint called the MkIII is starting to show up in some local shops.

I'm also a fan of Marin. Their Quad linkage suspension on their Mount Vision bikes is a nice climber, and might be worth an on-trail demo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.