Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
x-post from Santa Cruz:

Sorry if this is a repost..I searched the archives and could not find an answer to my questions-

I just got a Med Blur, with 5th airshock. The first 2 rides were great, then on the 3rd ride it started sounding like air was leaking out- whenever I would hit a rough bump (rock or log), I would hear the sound of air deflating from the rear. Any idea what the problem may be?

Also, the Santa Cruz site says for the IFP- set it at 50-70psi, but the Progressive site says to not set the IFP outside the 75-125psi? What should it be?? I weigh about 135lb.

Thanks..

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Are you actually losing air? The hissing sound you are hearing may be just the damping. Shocks aren't all silent, and it's not a problem. If you are losing air, you'd know pretty quick. Your sag will get lower and lower untill you are riding bottomed out, but I doubt that's happenning. Now thinking about it, if it leaked fast enough for you to hear a hiss, it'd run out of air in seconds. You most probably are just hearing the damping.

50psi if fine for the blur. Go with SC's reccommendations.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bmadau said:
Are you actually losing air? The hissing sound you are hearing may be just the damping. Shocks aren't all silent, and it's not a problem. If you are losing air, you'd know pretty quick. Your sag will get lower and lower untill you are riding bottomed out, but I doubt that's happenning. Now thinking about it, if it leaked fast enough for you to hear a hiss, it'd run out of air in seconds. You most probably are just hearing the damping.

50psi if fine for the blur. Go with SC's reccommendations.
Good point. Hey, thanks for the help. The FS stuff is all new to me.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
SC knows a lot more about what works with their frames than the shock maker that doesn't have the time to test it on a thousand bikes. Trust SC's recommendations and tweak from there. The 5th is a noisy shock, if you're not getting a thud noise the don't worry about it, it's just the damping.

G MAN

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.