Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if this bike if for me. It looks like it is made to ride fast and just pain have fun. I've looked at the heckler and nomad but I'm not that agressive of a rider. I don't do big drops (4 or more feet) I just like to go fast and ride the trail has to offer. I have a kikapu now and i need something more agressive that that. I guess what I'm looking for is what type of rider should get a 4x.

·
Registered
422 Posts
But in the grand scheme of things, the BB isn't that low. The BB on my wife's Dawg is 12.4" which is even lower than the 4X. And so is the Kikapu so the 4X will feel like it's miles off of the ground in comparison! ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
PRizzle,

I really dig mine and highly recommend it as an aggressive, versatile, capable, sweet handling and fun trailbike. If it seems to fit the bill for what you're looking for, I'd say go for it. I doubt you'll be disappointed with it. Ask some more questions if you are not quite sure yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds good...

I'm just worried that weighing 210lbs that I'll bottom out the rear shock easily and that I will outgrow it quickly if I start to go more agressive.

What is 4x anyway?

·
Registered
564 Posts
4X is an abbreviation for "four cross", which is a downhill race much like BMX, lots of big jumps, whoops, burms, etc . There are four riders in each race, hence the 4. I'm probably leaving something out, but do a web search you'll find tons of info. on it.

I'm pretty aggresive with my 2005 4X and have never had any problems.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
hey prizzle; listen to your own good sense; you're right on the money with your concern about the rear suspension; the Blur 4 x has a high leverage ration and a shock with a short stroke, at 210, I think you're you're pushing the limits of the design. Call Fox and see what they tell you; here's Joey Avila's email address; tell him about your weight and give him the details of the suspension.
[email protected]

Now it's time to ask yourself a serious question; do you want a bike you won't out grow for a few years-I'm not talking about size:D Have you considered a Nomad???? The Nomad is a bike that will support your weight because of the leverage rate and length of the shock. In addition, the frame is built to last; it's a big guy friendly design.

Don't get me wrong; I love the 4 x and I think it's an excellent design; wish I could ride one. But at 225, I don't think I'd be happy; been there, done that; that's why I ride a Nomad. Good luck. There's a lot I don't know about bikes, so maybe one of the other guys has some better information.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
I don't know where these fabricated bottoming issues are coming from. If it were a SP design you might have to worry. Not so with this bike. Remember, the team hucks 20 footers and bigger on this 4.5" frame. If they can do that, it can handle anything you are I throw at it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
A rider weight of 225 lbs is well within the boundaries of the bikes suspension design. The bike is also built to take a fair bit of abuse. I wouldn't be too concerned as a number of us are in the 200 and change club (myself at 195 lbs dry) and we are not having any issues with an undersprung or poor performing rear end. I am quite happy with the overall feel and performance of the rear suspension especially considering that it has a mere 4.5" of travel. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Turtle 1 said:
hey prizzle; listen to your own good sense; you're right on the money with your concern about the rear suspension; the Blur 4 x has a high leverage ration and a shock with a short stroke, at 210, I think you're you're pushing the limits of the design. Call Fox and see what they tell you; here's Joey Avila's email address; tell him about your weight and give him the details of the suspension.
[email protected]
I'm not sure what bikes you're comparing it to, but the Blur actually has a really low leverage ratio (2.25). Plenty of bikes are getting 6"+ out of the same size shock that they put on the Blur XC/4X. Most 4" bikes seem to have a 1.5" shock.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks

I'm still looking around but knowing that 200+ dudes ride this frame w/o issue is nice.

As far as a Nomad, I look at a Nomad as a bike that can do just about everything and thats not what I need. I need a kick ass trail bike. I'm not going to be doing freeride or anything that would require the travel that it has and I'm afraid that if I do to the Nomad it won't be as much fun, that the bike will kind of do everything for me and part of biking for me is that challenge. If I was looking at a nomad I may as well be looking at a heckler as well (which I have thought about) but once again, right now and in the future I don't see myself needing the travel.

thanks for all of the info.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
PRizzle said:
I'm still looking around but knowing that 200+ dudes ride this frame w/o issue is nice.

As far as a Nomad, I look at a Nomad as a bike that can do just about everything and thats not what I need. I need a kick ass trail bike. I'm not going to be doing freeride or anything that would require the travel that it has and I'm afraid that if I do to the Nomad it won't be as much fun, that the bike will kind of do everything for me and part of biking for me is that challenge. If I was looking at a nomad I may as well be looking at a heckler as well (which I have thought about) but once again, right now and in the future I don't see myself needing the travel.

thanks for all of the info.
The 4x sounds right up your alley. The Nomad is a killer ride. But the 6.5" of travel is a bit much for your application. I was in the same situation actually. I don't regret it at all. The 4x def kicks the Heckler's ass...but the Heckler is a fine bike as well.

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
I'm about 185lbs w/o gear and just took mine out for its second ride yesterday at Noble Canyon. No problems.

I've also got an Uzzi VPX and a hardtail SS and wanted something to fill in the "gap" between the two. I felt that the Nomad was a little too much for my needs but wanted something that could take some abuse. The 4x seems to be perfect for my purposes.

I could definitely tell that there was less travel than my VPX through the choppier sections, but it handled everythin well and just plain ripped through the flowy sections.

I did take the bike off a small jump (only about 2 feet to tranny) to see how it would handle it and didn't have any problems except for the fork bottoming out slightly (easy enough to fix).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.