Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you are still riding your Blur 4x's and how are they setup?

I've started riding mine a bit more and am considering a change to either a more XC/Trail oriented bike or just lightening my configuration. It's currently built up with a Push'd Vanilla RC Coil shock, a Pike UTurn air, and a bunch of "leftover" parts. There's definitely room to improve the spec (lighter wheels and tires to start, etc), but I'm not sure this is "the bike" for what I need anymore.

Current quiver of bikes:
- Singlespeed hardtail
- Blur 4x
- Intense Slopestyle 1 (elka, lyrik dh)
- Intense Uzzi VPX (slackers, Push'd DHX, 888)

Given what I have, I'm starting to think a Blur LT, 5-Spot, or a Tracer 2 would be the way to go...

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
amish_matt said:
I ride my 4x more than any other bike. Set up as a 1x9 for XC/AM/whatever you call it and weighs a little under 30lbs. as pictured. Now with a Revelation Dual Air that should drop a little weight:
How tall are you and what size is that? I recently swapped out a Deity 2014 bar and 50mm stem for a Sunline V1 lowrise (same as yours, I think) and a 65mm stem. The new setup makes the bike easier to ride with the fork fully extended, but I still feel a little cramped on it for extended rides.

Also, my wheels are heavy (sun demon/eq31), but I'd hate to spend a bunch of money on a bike and not end up keeping it...

·
dressed to play
219 Posts

Still lovin my large 4X. Sold my DH bike last year and ride this thing everywhere.
Float 36's set at 140mm up front, pushed RP23 in the rear. 1X10 11-36 with a 34T up front.
Pro II's with Stans low wheels keep things hovering around 30lbs.
Goes up like fuel prices and goes down like your sister.

·
smartass
700 Posts
BCBlur said:
How tall are you and what size is that? I recently swapped out a Deity 2014 bar and 50mm stem for a Sunline V1 lowrise (same as yours, I think) and a 65mm stem. The new setup makes the bike easier to ride with the fork fully extended, but I still feel a little cramped on it for extended rides.

Also, my wheels are heavy (sun demon/eq31), but I'd hate to spend a bunch of money on a bike and not end up keeping it...
it's a S/M and I'm 5'8"-ish. 50mm stem, 29.5" bars. I like short top tubes, and I'm more comfortable on this bike than anything I've ever ridden.

My wheels aren't especially light, but they aren't heavy either. Hope front, Halo Supadrive rear, SOS rims, butted spokes and alloy nipples.

Guitarhero: How do you like that Straitline guide? I was running an e.13 bash before, and like the extra clearance from the Gamut, but it's noisy as hell.

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
amish_matt said:
it's a S/M and I'm 5'8"-ish. 50mm stem, 29.5" bars. I like short top tubes, and I'm more comfortable on this bike than anything I've ever ridden.

My wheels aren't especially light, but they aren't heavy either. Hope front, Halo Supadrive rear, SOS rims, butted spokes and alloy nipples.

Guitarhero: How do you like that Straitline guide? I was running an e.13 bash before, and like the extra clearance from the Gamut, but it's noisy as hell.
I'm a little over 5'9" with long arms. I love the way the bike descends and handles twisty singletrack. Climbing and flat, straight sections are the issues for me.

I guess I'll just add a click or two of compression and focus more on my fitness and less on b*tching about the bike.

·
smartass
700 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what the compression setting on my RP3 would be - it was tuned by PUSH with their trail tune and big hit kit. I made it clear in my instructions that I preferred to give up pedaling efficiency for better descending.

That said, I run no propedal, ever (unless I'm riding on a paved road on the way to a trail) and about 30% sag.

Coming off a Heckler, this pedals so much better and is quite a bit lighter, and I'm definitely faster both up and down.

·
dressed to play
219 Posts
BC, the Straitline 'silent' guide doesn't quite live up to it's name, but nearly. Definitely quieter than the LG1 I had on before. Really like it. Very light, thought the post man had delivered an empty box when it arrived. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
guitarhero said:
BC, the Straitline 'silent' guide doesn't quite live up to it's name, but nearly. Definitely quieter than the LG1 I had on before. Really like it. Very light, thought the post man had delivered an empty box when it arrived. :)
How is the Straitline guide mounted to your Blur 4X? Isn't the Straitline ISCG only?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Bump for people still rockin' the 4x in 2013. I ride this thing everywhere, it is the perfect little brother to my Nomad. I just replaced an older Pike 454 Uturn with the Lyrik, the ride is super dialed now.

Large Frame w/Rockshox Monarch RC3 Shock
Lyrik MC Solo Air (floodgate removed) set at 130mm
SLX Cranks
X9 Shifters/Derailleurs w/ Blackspire Stinger 2x guide
Hayes Stroker Gram Brakes
Azonic Outlaw Wheels

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm still running mine. I use it mostly as an overbuilt trail/am bike.

Slate Ano Grey w/ Push'd Fox Vanilla RC
Push'd RockShox Pike 454 UTurn Air (Super Turbo Championship Edition)
2x9 with a guide and bash
Gravity Dropper classic
DT 240 rear hub w/ 36pt ratchets and 10mm RWS
20mm Hive Chub Hub
Carbon rims (Chinese "wider" AM version) setup tubeless

I'm running an SLX Shadow+ RD with SRAM X.9 triggers. Works great.

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,...

friend of mine just purchase Blur 4X 2005 and we struggle to find the right setup for rear Manitu Swinger SPV 4-way. Those anyone have some recommendation. When we set sag at approwimately 35-40% but the rear end is still quite hard and there is no way to get full travel.

Thank you,
Izi

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.