Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after two weeks of waiting for shock eyelet reducers I was finally able to mount my shiny new Roco Air to my Blur 4x and ran into what may be a serious problem.

The shock can only be mounted on the frame in one of the four possible orientations; the other three result in various parts of the shock body making contact with the swing links in the frame. However, the orientation that does work leaves the shraeder valve obscured.

Luckily, the sag is just about right and, after riding around the neighborhood, the shock feels pretty nice.

I can set the shock up at home and get it dialed in pretty well, but the biggest problem I see is that I won't ever be able to adjust it trailside unless I start bringing some big hex wrenches.

Opinions?

Attachments

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It honestly never occurred to me that the shock might not work. It's a simple air shock with no piggyback, I figured it would be simple. The pure beefiness of the shock seems to cause the interference issues.

I'll get a couple of rides in and get back.

If I like it, I'll see about fitting it with a right angle valve if I can find one.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My buddy had the same issue and fit a right angle valve. It worked like a charm. Sorry, I don't have any photos to show how he rigged it. Anyway, you seem to have enough wrench skills to figure it out, you should be fine. Rock on and good looking 4 cross.:thumbsup:

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where'd he get the valve? I can't seem to find anything appropriate on McMaster-Carr.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts

There's my old Stratos shock with a right angle adapter on it. I'd imagine that you can find one from a decent auto shop. Otherwise, head off to the LBS and see what they can get their hands on. I'd look through my catalog... but I'm lazy. Haha.

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rode the bike today at Aliso (Mathis, 5 Oaks, Rock-It for you locals) and I like the shock.

It's more active, especially over the small bumps and low speed hits than the 5th was. Rebound seems a little slow for the fast chatter, even with the rebound backed out all the way. Pedal bob doesn't seem to be an issue unless I go nuts and crank on the bike like an idiot. During seated pedaling, I only noticed any bob by looking down and staring at the shock. Even then, it bobbed less than my buddy's 5-Spot with RP3.

I'll ride Noble tomorrow then hit up some auto parts stores for the valve.

Another interesting thing is that I only used up about 1.5" of shock stroke (3.375 of wheel travel). On the 5th, I would have used up all of the travel. Anybody know if I can change the progressiveness by varying the oil volume like my Marz forks?

presslab: that remote air valve looks pretty cool but its probably overkill for what I need. That being said, I'll look into a source in case I decide to go that way... :)

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nevermind, "English" website still has everything in German and they don't have any US distributors...

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Cane Creek

BCBlur said:
Where'd he get the valve? I can't seem to find anything appropriate on McMaster-Carr.
I got the last one I have from Cane Creek for a tight fit situation. They're simple and not expensive.

Attachments

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've exchanged email with Reset Racing and they don't have anything that is confirmed to work with the Roco. Luckily, the shock is setup well and holds air fine, so i don't really need access to the valve.

That being said, I may order the Fox one, but $50 + shipping seems a little steep to take a chance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts