Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
nerfherder
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy 4Xers. I'm, for some reason, fascinated with the concept of a Blur 4X as a trail bike. But what I'm wondering is how their turning characteristics feel. I've got a 6x6 Turner Six Pack with a 68 degree headtube angle and it's pretty slow turning by what I'm used to (BLT, hardtail). The 4X is meant for 4X (duh) and slalom so it seems that they'd be pretty quick when linking turns but the slack head angle should cause it to handle slowly.

Anyone have experience on this bike and want to chime in?

·
Registered
103 Posts
There's been a few threads on this bike so you might want to do a search in case you haven't already.

I've been on mine for a couple seasons now and love it as a trail bike (it's pretty much stock with the Pike). I was using a 02 Trek Fuel before and I like the 4X better for the riding I do. It doesn't climb as well due to the angles and the 50mm stem I use but it more than makes up for it on the down.

My initial feel on the bike was, this is low and long. Great all round bike.

·
nerfherder
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kootenay rider. Yeah, I've done quite a bit of searching and I think I've read most of what's out there which... well, isn't much. Either there aren't a lot of guys on 4Xs or they're a quiet bunch that are too busy riding instead of posting here. =)

So the fuel must have felt way more responsive in twisty singletrack or would you say there isn't a huge difference in they sharpness of turning feel?

·
Registered
103 Posts
If there was a difference between the fuel and the 4X I couldn't really feel it. A slacker head angle will give a slower steering feel but I've never really noticed it.

The 4X feels lower and your weight is more towards the back so the steep climbs require more work but overall it's worth it. I'm used to climbing my big travel bikes up steep stuff so it doesn't bother me.

Put it this way, if you've never climbed a bike with a 67 degree headtube then you will feel a big difference and it will take time to adjust. However, if you ride DH/FR then you won't notice much difference. Make sense?

·
nerfherder
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that makes sense but what's most interesting to me is the fact that you don't feel much difference between the turning of the 4X and the Fuel. The Fuel is, to my understanding, more of a XC rig, right? So the 4X has quick handling and a slack HA for descending with confidence... sounds like a winning combo. I'm going to have to find a way to demo one...

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
The 4x shares a lot of the same geometry as the cannondale rush. This may surprise you, but it will give you an idea of how it will handle as a trail bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.