Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Know they are built up for 4x and slalom, so with the beefier portion of the front triangle, was pondering:

Anyone using them strictly for trail or xc riding?

Know the bike can handle pretty long travel forks, so what forks people running for trail/xc riding?

Saw some of the 4x setups in the databse and was wondering if people can chime in!

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
835 Posts
4x trailbike

baycat said:
Know they are built up for 4x and slalom, so with the beefier portion of the front triangle, was pondering:
This is the main reason why I went with the 4x over the other blurs, sturdier in the longterm for a very minor weight gain.

baycat said:
Anyone using them strictly for trail or xc riding?
Yes I do, it's not that much removed (H/Angle mainly) from the XC versions.....
Oh, there's no mounts for a water bottle cage if that matters....

baycat said:
Know the bike can handle pretty long travel forks, so what forks people running for trail/xc riding?
Do not go with anymore than a 130mm fork.
Combined with the slacker headangle of the 4X already makes it a slow steering trailbike.
In excess of 130mm will definately make it a ***** to climb hills.....ie. the front end would be to wagy.

I'm currently running a 130mm Marz AM1, I think a 100mm fork would be spot on, or maybe a TALAS type fork would be the ultimate.

baycat said:
Saw some of the 4x setups in the databse and was wondering if people can chime in!
As far as setups go don't stray to far from what you'd build a normal xc/trailbike from.

Click my username and view some of my posts/photos.

·
My name is Mud
274 Posts
Hey Ryan,

I had the same urge a while back. Everyone I talked to didn't recommend it, they use it strictly for slalom, 4X, jumping kind of stuff.

Here is the skinny I have gotten from owners:
With a longer travel fork, bb height is sufficient, but head tube is too slack
With a shorter fork, bb height is low, pedals hit for trail use
With short fork and shorter cranks, it is hard to get the leverage to climb

As with most things in life, you need to compromise somewhere.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
I think the BB is a non issue. It has a 12.6 bb. That is the same as the Cannondale Rush. Those bikes are selling like hot cakes. I ride with three Rush riders(sometimes 5-6) and they all say the same thing about it. "yeah, it is low...but you get used to it." I ride in a very rooty, rocky area. I think the 4x is SC's sleeper bike. Basically, it has the same geometry as the rush...just a .5 degree slacker head tube and slightly shorter chainstays. Wheelbases are very close as well. The rush is a 24 hour racer that most riders are using for trail use. This comparison has me thinking that the 4x would rock as a trailbike. Now before some SC expert gets on and starts spewing the whole "Well, they are completely different bikes and you can't compare...blah blah blah" I was comparing geometry alone.

The VPP and its notorious pivots has me scared as hell though, I admit it. That is the only issue I would have. A 4x with a revelation w/on the fly travel adjust would be a ripping bike. Weight is not that bad either. I simply cannot help dreaming about ripping around the corners and jumping over and off anything on the way to the next. However, I cannot help having the nightmare of a pivot squeeking on every pedal stroke. ;)

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Ed, SC professional and professional bike breaker :). Going to have to find one to throw my leg over.

Seems like it would make a great trail bike.

Never had issues with my vpp bikes, albeit not a full season. I just came across a good deal on a local frame, bearings were replaced.

Think it be smart to get some Enduro Max and throw them on there.

Revelation would be good, but a 20mm would be better. Pike or one of the Minute with the 20mm. Or hmm a Z1....

·
My name is Mud
274 Posts
No problem,

As I said, I had the same temptations. Even after hearing the feedback listed above, I still almost replaced my blur with a 4X. Only thing that stopped me was remebering the nightmare of trying to keep up with the maintenanced of two VPPs. I thought I would share the feedback I recieved.

Albeit, they were much better, smoother riders than I, Who ride professionally and are much more anal and educated about setup then I.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The 4X is a "Do it all bike", I ride DH/FR with a 454 Pike, XC/Trails with Fox float 130.

I got the DHX5-AIR (Its the best thing you can get for your 4X bike).

At the trails I am one of the faster (and lighter) riders, at the DH I am no slower then any other DH bike, now I even thinking about selling my UZZI VPX and geting another X4 frame to built it just for DH/FR and one just for XC/Trails.

This is the best bike I ever owned (I have a UZZI VPX, Banshee Scirocco, Tomac 98 and the Blur X4)

Any one that told you about BB problems or head angle problems or any thing allse is a guy who never ride the X4, I am sure that even SC guy's where surprise about the X4 abilitiy to do every thing :D

I call it a little VPFree

Attachments

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,641 Posts
I also have an opportunity

to get a 4x blur for an excellent price. At first I was a bit hesitant to pull the trigger, but after searching/reading the reviews/thoughts it looks like I'll be the new owner of a 4x this week. I want to use it for all mountain/xc, I'll let everyone know soon what I think. I live in Watsonville, CA which is close to SC and Demo Forest, two local places this bike has probably been tested/designed at, besides the rest of the world. My rides in SC usually consist of lots of climbing, twisty, tech, tight singletrack, log pile obstacles, berms, and the ocassional dirt jump/small drop.

I was riding a medium Heckler w/a 05' Pike and it looks like this bike has almost the same geometry as the Heckler but a longer wheelbase (good for me), slacker head angle, and VPP. I just hope the seat tube isn't to steep for pedaling uphill or for longer rides. I've never owned a VPP bike, but I love(d) my Heckler (?). Something I kept thinking about was that, around here people ride Bullits w/dual crowns or longer travel single crowns, VP frees w/Talas 36, and many other different types of SC custom rides. The main thing is that everyone is riding the same trails, going the same relative distance, except on different SC bikes, and some guys are blowing away XC racer types on thier 38 lb. VPfrees up and down.

So I took apart my Heckler, built up a steel hard tail w/the parts, bought a steel SS, and was going to re-kit the Heckler when this deal came up for the 4x. Lately I've been riding the SS only and have been enjoying it. I can ride everything the guys I ride with on my SS and it only making me a better rider. I hope the 4x will be an all-around trail bike with the climbing abilities of a hardtail but the downhill plushness of the Heckler or even more VPPlush. I guess reading and writing has really convinced me to buy, thank you. Now my dilemma lies in, what to do w/the Heckler? XC bike or what? Thoughts appreciated.

So Baycat if you pull the trigger let me know. I've never met you but I'm sure we'll end up crossing paths in Nor-Cal someday. I think you were supposed to meet us in Annadel a few weekends ago, I posted a ride, and CrazyAndy, Mini-Mae, and derelict showed up. I'll let you know to how much I like my new 4x when the rain finally lets up and I don't feel like I'm going to ruin my new bike w/all this mud!

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
You won't have to worry about the seat angle...

nativeson said:
to get a 4x blur for an excellent price. At first I was a bit hesitant to pull the trigger, but after searching/reading the reviews/thoughts it looks like I'll be the new owner of a 4x this week. I want to use it for all mountain/xc, I'll let everyone know soon what I think. I live in Watsonville, CA which is close to SC and Demo Forest, two local places this bike has probably been tested/designed at, besides the rest of the world. My rides in SC usually consist of lots of climbing, twisty, tech, tight singletrack, log pile obstacles, berms, and the ocassional dirt jump/small drop.

I was riding a medium Heckler w/a 05' Pike and it looks like this bike has almost the same geometry as the Heckler but a longer wheelbase (good for me), slacker head angle, and VPP. I just hope the seat tube isn't to steep for pedaling uphill or for longer rides. I've never owned a VPP bike, but I love(d) my Heckler (?). Something I kept thinking about was that, around here people ride Bullits w/dual crowns or longer travel single crowns, VP frees w/Talas 36, and many other different types of SC custom rides. The main thing is that everyone is riding the same trails, going the same relative distance, except on different SC bikes, and some guys are blowing away XC racer types on thier 38 lb. VPfrees up and down.

So I took apart my Heckler, built up a steel hard tail w/the parts, bought a steel SS, and was going to re-kit the Heckler when this deal came up for the 4x. Lately I've been riding the SS only and have been enjoying it. I can ride everything the guys I ride with on my SS and it only making me a better rider. I hope the 4x will be an all-around trail bike with the climbing abilities of a hardtail but the downhill plushness of the Heckler or even more VPPlush. I guess reading and writing has really convinced me to buy, thank you. Now my dilemma lies in, what to do w/the Heckler? XC bike or what? Thoughts appreciated.

So Baycat if you pull the trigger let me know. I've never met you but I'm sure we'll end up crossing paths in Nor-Cal someday. I think you were supposed to meet us in Annadel a few weekends ago, I posted a ride, and CrazyAndy, Mini-Mae, and derelict showed up. I'll let you know to how much I like my new 4x when the rain finally lets up and I don't feel like I'm going to ruin my new bike w/all this mud!
I am in the exact same situation. My heckler is at SC and hopefully they will let me upgrade for a fair price as the heckler has been back twice for a miswelded pivot. If the choice arises, I will be going with the 4x after riding a steel SS for awhile myself. Don't worry about the seat angle for climbs and long rides...it shares the same(73) angle as the Cannondale Rush and those are made to do both very well and do. If this goes through, I too will post results. The trails I ride have tons of tight corners that I cannot wait to rail with the 4X. Good luck. Oh, and wish me luck. Hopefully 7 years as a faithful SC rider will pay off.

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,641 Posts
After 2 rides

I know it's hard to make a fair assessment about the bike but here goes. I ended up getting a brand new 4x w/the 4x kit/454 Pike for a really good deal. I was going to re-kit my Heckler, but when this deal came i couldn't pass. I described the trails I ride and my riding style in my previous post. Coming from a Heckler I feel like these two bikes are comparable because the travel and geometry are very similar, but the pivot technology is different (of course).

So the first ride I took it on was just a short loop in the SC mountains. With the seat up the bike climbs very good and when I was hammering out of the saddle there was none/hardly any pedal bob, it almost felt like my hardtail. At lower speeds the steering is a little slow (even w/the fork dialed down) but can be adjusted by using your hips more when turning the bike. With the 2.35 Nevegals the bike just ate up everything in its path. Even though the bike has less travel than the Heckler it feels more plush and soaks up the small bumps better. The bike handles speed a lot better than the Heckler and screams downhill, I couldn't believe how much faster I was going (than I would on the Heckler) on my first ride. The bike feels comfortable in the air and accelerates very fast to help you boost of the lip. I was smiling the whole way down the hill and the reason was apparent.

The next ride was about 22-23 miles with ~2700' of climbing. I didn't experience any discomfort at all being in the saddle for an extended period of time (I also did the same ride the previous day, but on a SS). The bike loves to be pedaled and will only be limited by your fitness. Since my bike has the 4x kit I only have a 1x9/170 mm cranks and at first I was wondering if that maybe a problem on extended rides. I was actually thinking about swapping the cranks (maybe 175 mm) and getting a granny/shifter. But after riding it this way I kinda like it because of the simplicity, we'll see after an extended period, though I may stick w/the 170 mm cranks due to the BB height. So that's about it, I think I'll keep it, keep the posts/updates coming about your xc/trailbike rides on your Blur 4x.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.