Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
I built a set of these laced to Hope hubs via DT Competition spokes.
They have been run on my rigid SS for about 3 months or so now.
I had to give them a slight true after a few weeks but have not touched them since.

I am very happy with them.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I was dissatisfied with the original Blunts because they were undersized and allowed tire roll-offs and blow-offs [650B].
However, i'm currently testing the latest 650B Blunts with great success with no roll-offs or burps as ghetto tubeless setups on my Ibis Mojo...[650B]. It seems that Velocity got their act together with the latest model rim...but I haven't tried them in the 29'er format yet.

R.

onegeargood said:
These rims seem too good to be true. 28 mm wide and under 500 grams? Anyone having any luck with them?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Blunt no tubes and stans

Hi

I am also interested in the Blunts. There has been mention that they to not work that well with stans and no tubes. As in compared to stans rims or bontrager rims. Is this true?

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Check out the tubeless conversion thread and in particular Bruce Brown's posts.
I followed his instructions and they have worked perfectly with a Rampage front and Crossmark rear on my rigid SS.

·
Registered
420 Posts
didn't like them so much

ran them with maxxis ignitors.could not run less than 35 psi or they would flat.have a couple of dings in them. now run WTB exiwolf front and conti trail mtn king in rear. work much better. so i suppose it was more an issue of rim/tire combo.

sticker are big and ugly. be sure to take those off asap.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Grande said:
ran them with maxxis ignitors.could not run less than 35 psi or they would flat.have a couple of dings in them. now run WTB exiwolf front and conti trail mtn king in rear. work much better. so i suppose it was more an issue of rim/tire combo.

sticker are big and ugly. be sure to take those off asap.
Depends on what stickers you get.
Mine aren't ugly at all:

·
Gold Member
Wrecker V2 / Nimble9
1,197 Posts
I have 2 sets of Blunts, both have been nothing shy of great.
One set was my first wheel build and they were so easy to build up and tensioned so well, it spoiled me because other rims have not been as kind to me during a build.

The do have a soft rim lip, but all my tires have been solid on the rims, even at psi as low as 20psi using Maxxis and WTB's, run on a rigid bike and I'm 210-220lb geared up.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
badsmells said:
Hi

I am also interested in the Blunts. There has been mention that they to not work that well with stans and no tubes. As in compared to stans rims or bontrager rims. Is this true?
They convert to tubeless, but the caveat is - they are not the "easiest" rim to convert when compared to something "easy' like an American Classic rim. Of course, forget about comparing it to a Stans rim as those are tubeless ready rims.

As TR said - I've covered it in other threads before, so no need to repeat, but what the heck - since I am wide awake at 5:35 am with a farting dog sleeping down by my feet, I will say this:

Two ways to convert the Blunts.

One is to fill the inner channel with some sort of foam weather stripping (Frost King, Wal-mart's brand, etc...) and use the NoTubes.com 26" Freeride strip. You'll have to drill out the valve stem holes to take a schrader valve while you are at it. The weatherstripping allows the rimstrip to sit nice and snug along the rim's inner walls so you get a nice tight bead.

Weather strip your Blunt...

Freeride NoTubes 26" strip stretched and snug...

Mount tire and lay flat to seal (after dubious amounts of shaking and baking)...

Go ride on your converted Blunts trusting them enough for you to be able to ride and take a picture of the guy in front of you on the Centennial Trail in the Black Hills...

Two is to go ghetto by using a 24" (or 26") regular inner tube that you slit down the middle (in essence, you are making your own home made Stans rimstrip by going ghetto), mount the tire, add sealant, add air and trim off the portion of the tube hanging outside around the rim. This version of conversion is nearly idiot proof and gives a nice tight seal. If you are not going to be changing tires often or at all - I would go this route. I have not done this version on my Blunts without also using the foam weather stripping to fill the inner channel.

Cut the 24" Wal-Mart $2 tube...

Put the tire on and let it hang uncircumcised while you add sealant and air...

Lay flat to seal sidewalls...

In the photo above, the soap and water on the floor is from the previous conversion with another wheelset. The ghetto conversion I did with no soap and water. Not one drop of Stans sealant spilled or oozed out of those tight as can be bead Kenda Small Block 8's. This was, to date, my easiest and most idiot proof conversion of any tire on any rim. Small Block 8's are off those wheels today and Nanoraptors have replaced them (using the Freeride strip method above).

Trimmed off the tube (that's just the amount for one trimmed tube)...

Put new tubeless conversion wheels on bike and take photo...

BB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.