Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I sit in front of my computer and read about clipless vs. pedals while talking on my phone, a thought dawned on me:

How many of you may find useful some bluetooth device mated to small servos, such that a) a panic button that would engage/disengage clipless pedals b) run poplock functions to engage/disengage the front fork or c) shift without cables?

Personally, I think a panic button for pedals would have some benefit, as cables don't work very well with a rotating crankshaft.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Am I missing something? You think that you will have better reaction clicking a button and then removing your feet from the pedals than just unclipping? That doesn't sound likely.

Now, if my biking partner had one, I would find immense joy by clicking around on his gears, pedals, etc..at the most inopportune time. Better make sure you put a good password on your gear. Why not brakes too?

I guess I just don't see the need for wireless. The button has to be somewhere, what does wireless gain you?

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
awai04 said:
Personally, I think a panic button for pedals would have some benefit, as cables don't work very well with a rotating crankshaft.
Yes, after going OTB and being tangled, it would make getting up easier. :p

My experience is that crashes happen so fast, I'd never have time to think about a button, let alone move enough to press one.

·
Registered
413 Posts
There are several problems with the bluetooth clipless pedal release idea. First, unclipping becomes a split-second, instinctual motion in an emergency situation. It's hard to see how pushing a button would make it any faster. Second, I often only want to unclip one foot to briefly tap down. This would require two buttons or a special click sequence to accomplish, making it more complicated than simply unclipping.

Not trying to rain on your parade. Thoughts like these are how good ideas are born.

·
Registered
817 Posts
awai04 said:
So as I sit in front of my computer and read about clipless vs. pedals while talking on my phone, a thought dawned on me:

How many of you may find useful some bluetooth device mated to small servos, such that a) a panic button that would engage/disengage clipless pedals b) run poplock functions to engage/disengage the front fork or c) shift without cables?

I think bluetooth technology is great, don't get me wrong.... but back away from the bong bro.

wireless bluetooth devices would all require power, you'd probably want to power them from a single battery anyway so they're lighter and less bulky, which would require running wires, so you're back to square 1.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I personally like the fact that my bikes are purely mechanical. Even though I "started" a company designing electronics for cycling -- I had a few good ideas, I've given up on them for a while.

If I get laid off again, then perhaps I'll try again. I don't think that the peddle release idea you have will make it in though, sorry. Unless, of course, you could sense that both your hands had come off the bars, then automatically releasing your peddles might help your situation? Hmmmm.

burner is right though. The main prob would be powering a servo. ZigBee would be a better solution than Bluetooth for the wireless part, since you don't need to send data, just open-close. More like a garage door opener.

Keep thinking awai !!

UB.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.