Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A month or so ago I ordered a pair of clipless shoes from blueskycycling and received them 5 days after I placed the order. Perfect.

Friday (6/13/08) I decided I wanted a new helmet,hydration pack,and some clipless petals. I went ahead and placed the order but didn't receive any conformation on my order until Monday (6/16/08) where I was informed that they didn't have the Black BELL INFLUX HELMET in stock and that it would need to be backordered. I informed them that it was still listed on their website,and they should really take it down if its not available. Anyway,I asked them if everything else was a ready to go,and they informed me it was.

Tuesday (6/17/08) Still no word on my shipment and it must still be sitting in the warehouse. I called and spoke to Freddy who informed me it will be shipped out by that evening.

Wednesday (6/18/08) Still no conformation or shipping # and its 10:00 A.M. here in Nebraska. Should I call them? What do you think is taking all of this time? Is this normal?

I would have just ordered from JensonUSA.com,but I had a good experience last time and thought I would go back to them. This sucks,I really wanted those pedals for this week-end too. :rolleyes:

BTW: The helmet is still listed as instock on their website.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Still had not received any conformation # on the items ordered so I called BSC and spoke to a customer rep. They told me that it still was sitting in the warehouse waiting to be shipped because the could not find the hydration pack. WTH??? This was a 2nd item that I ordered that they ended up not having. Needless to say I was mad as hell.

I was then connected to the manager Eddie who explained that they hadn't sent the anything because they were still looking for the hydration pack,so nothing had been sent. Again WTH?? I canceled the order for the hydration pack (which had already been charged to my visa :nono: ) and asked Eddie if he could compensate me in some way. He said that they would send me my clipless pedals first class and not charge me for it.

I guess I'll take what I can get,but geesh this has been more difficult then I could of imagined. I do appreciate the patience of the Reps at BSC,because I have a temper and I tend to get very LOUD when I feel I've been bent over.

We'll see if I get my pedals by Friday.......This will probably be the last time I order from BSC.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
This has been discussed many times in the past. Items on the Bluesky site may or may not be in stock. Sometimes backordered items come in quickly, other times, it takes forever. If you want something quickly, Bluesky may not be the best choice. I have made two orders there, and both times items have been backordered.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have bought a lot of stuff from them with no problems, I have actually had stuff arrive the next day after ordering. I have also had a few things back ordered that I had to wait a week or two. I have cancelled those orders to get the parts faster.

·
EDR
10,586 Posts
As stated here and other threads, BSC's website will say 'in stock' when items are not in stock. That is just poor business practice and it's not a fluke. This has been documented with BSC for a long time now so obviously they wish it that way. They want to hook you and then tell you on the backside that one of your parts are not in stock....then most people just roll with it. This gets them sales they would have lost otherwise (had the site clearly said 'not in stock' you would have gone elswhere). They know what they are doing :madmax:

That being said.....I have ordered from them and always got items quickly (that are in stock) and good c/s over the phone.

If I ever order from them I CALL ON THE PHONE to confirm availability of items. Mostly I just steer clear of them to avoid any hassle, but if they've got a good deal on something I want I'm not so put off that I won't call them.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
this is in the bike and frame discussion forum?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
eatdrinkride said:
As stated here and other threads, BSC's website will say 'in stock' when items are not in stock. That is just poor business practice and it's not a fluke. This has been documented with BSC for a long time now so obviously they wish it that way. They want to hook you and then tell you on the backside that one of your parts are not in stock....then most people just roll with it. This gets them sales they would have lost otherwise (had the site clearly said 'not in stock' you would have gone elswhere). They know what they are doing :madmax:

That being said.....I have ordered from them and always got items quickly (that are in stock) and good c/s over the phone.

If I ever order from them I CALL ON THE PHONE to confirm availability of items. Mostly I just steer clear of them to avoid any hassle, but if they've got a good deal on something I want I'm not so put off that I won't call them.
Thanks..Good information to know.

I'm fairly new to this whole buying parts for bikes via E-tailers,but have spent thousands on computer parts in the past. Not once have I purchased an item and was later informed of its unavailability. In fact Newegg.com,where I purchase the majority of my supplies, will actually show how many items are currently in stock. I was not aware that this "bait and switch" tactic was used in the bike industry(e-tailers),and was widely excepted.

·
EDR
10,586 Posts
WindWithMe said:
I was not aware that this "bait and switch" tactic was used in the bike industry(e-tailers),and was widely excepted.
I don't think it's a bicycle industry 'thing' nor widely excepted There are just a couple shops that get bashed on these forums for tactics like this. I won't mention them but I will list a few very popular, very reputable online shops that many of us use. They do not play stupid games with out of stock items. They clearly list availability/color/sizes, etc.

In no particular order:

Nashbar.com
Pricepoint.com
Jensonusa.com (my personal favorite. Great selection usually, quick shipment and excellent c/s and return policy and quick price-matches online)
Cambria ( I don't think I've ever ordered from them)
Performancebike.com (reputable but I dislike their retail stores....)

Redbarn
Mountain High Cyclery.

These are real brick and mortar LBS (so is Jenson I guess) and Chad at Redbarn and Larry at MHC are great. Whether you need a fork, a complete bike or frame or brakes or whatever, these guys are ALWAYS worth calling. Larry sold me my Lyrik for $100 less than the online shops had it a few months back. Great guys and very knowledgeable.

Others less popular but reputable places include:
SierraNevada Trading Post
Backcountry.com >both of these places are more 'outdoor' shops but they have helmets/bike clothes etc.
REI, of course
AEBIKES.com
Speedgoat.com

EDIT: It just occured to me I bought my Lyrik from Will at Full Cycles. Another great bike shop. If you need advice or input along with a purchase call Will, Chad and/or Larry. They are all local bike shops that are not local to me at all but many of us trust them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.