Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
I'll either be there or Sprain, depending on which has less mud. I'm also excited for my first Westchester ride this year.

-rob in Brooklyn (grey blur4x)

·
Recovering
1,483 Posts
Rob- I rode both Sprain and Blue last weekend. Both had an equal amount of mud, and both have had a nice week to dry out. Neither was unrideable last week, so both should be great this week. The mud that was there was in predictable spots, and higher stuff was bone dry.

You all should really hit Blue on Sat or Sunday and pitch in with a couple hours trail work followed by a couple hours ride. I'm racing Saturday out at Kittatinny, but I'm trying to get out there Sunday for a ride/work day. Pitch in now and get the trails ready for a whole season of riding... plus meet people to ride with. Last year I met a riding buddy from NYC with a car at the WMBA Sprain spring trailwork event, and ended up riding and racing with him all year...

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
thanks for the report JB -
I was limited to Sprain Saturday morning due to time constraints. It was quite nice out, and I saw a fair amount of wildlife.
Some trailwork is definitely in order: the rock playground area in particular has very little definition; it looks like one 30 foot wide trail.
Also - moto tracks all over the back half. :( I can't believe people get away with riding motos in a county park in such a densely-populated area.

my real question is: why does the Yonkers police have a Hummer!???

-rob in NY

·
Recovering
1,483 Posts
There have always been, and will always be conflicts with illegal trail users in Westchester Parks. The best you can do is call the police when you encounter a motorized user in the park. I've personally seen moto and quad riders in Sprain- most are kids who could care less if what they're doing is right.

There was a real problem with one particular quad rider at Graham last year. He made the mistake of going out when there was a fresh couple inches of snow on the ground. One mountain biker followed his tracks back to his house, and had a nice conversation with the young guy's dad- problem solved, although there's still plenty of work that needs to be done to repair the damage.

Sprain really needs some summer growth to cover up all the off-trail riding that happened over the fall and winter. Although, that "playground" area really does have a ton of different lines, rocks, logs, etc, to ride over and around. Won't be long 'til the summer greenery starts coming out to cover up our winter sins...

As you saw, Rob, all the trails are now fully rideable and in full swing. Blue Mountain was even, dare I say it, a bit *too* dry on Sunday. Stuff that was loamy last weekend was dusty yesterday. Quite a change in the space of one week...

·
Registered
500 Posts
That biker was me...I followed the tracks back to his house and called the cops...I don't recomend confronting them directly...read my quads at 909 post in this fourm and you'll see why...

Tom

·
Registered
217 Posts
Tame Ape said:
First ride of the season on Sat! Anyone else going???
We had the first every cycle-cny.com ride 2 weekends ago. weather was awesome and the trails were in very good shape.

I'm sooo happy spring is here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts