Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
yep, Blue is closed. I called there today. Season pass refund checks will be cut by next Friday - Per Susan. They're building a waterpark this summer, lots of construction so they can't have the bike scene going on at the same time.

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
bear said:
bottom left of the Summer Page for Blue Mtn.

That's all I know. Bummed. Lots more gas cost to get to Diablo. Saving up for a Diablo pass now.
Wow, that is very surprising.... it seemed as if they were pretty dedicated to mtb park expansion. I think they could have planned ahead to figure out a way to offer both mtb riding and water park development.

Somebody in the Poconos should fill the void!!! Blue was an easy day trip, for me, Diablo is double the gas and we are all much more tired the next day from the long evening driving home.

·
smartass
700 Posts
Vertical Earth said:
Vertical Earth " State of the Union "
2/26/2011

Vertical Earth " State of the Union "

As of Friday, February 26 Mountain Biking has been cancelled at the Vertical Earth Gravity Park at Blue Mountain Ski Resort. The mountain has decided to dedicate all resources to the future waterpark coming in 2012.
Even though disappointed, the past two years have been a dream come true and I thank Blue Mountain for the opportunity to build trails and promote races with local lift access. To all the riders, racers, supporters, sponsors, and park crew there are a mountain of memories, good vibes, laughs, adventures that will last a lifetime. New friendships were made, more people are riding, and I can't thank everyone enough for making that happen. I can say at the end of one year the park averaged 60 people a day droppin' in on the trails a lot of people had a hand in. I know many of you will be disappointed but mountain biking may not be gone for good, so hopefully when the waterpark is complete we may see the mountain bring it back. In the meantime, I look forward to getting on the bike and getting out to a few races this summer.
Season pass holders for the upcoming season, the mountain will be refunding passes starting next Friday. Thanks very much everyone for an awesome two years of livin' the dream. Everybody keep it upright and I hope to see you on the trails!

-Dan / Vertical Earth
The above was posted on Ridemonkey.

Apparently Blue would rather cater have a bunch of trash form Allentown than mountain bikers.

Thanks for a good couple of years, Dan.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
amish_matt said:
Apparently Blue would rather cater have a bunch of trash form Allentown than mountain bikers.
Well, on the positive side summer weekends at Beltzville should be a little less obnoxious. However, the lake will probably still be crappy from leaking diapers. :D

·
Registered
251 Posts
The only bright side to all of this is Dan Whithead the man who made it possible will get to be back on the racing circuit! If you run into Dan at Diablo or Plattekill this summer, make sure you shake his hand and thank him for the great season he gave us last year. He gave up the one thing we all got last year! Riding all weekend!! See ya's at Diablo!!

·
West Chester, PA
5,003 Posts
One look at camelback on a hot summer day and you see why this is a better business decision. They were probably trying to secure financing for this project the entire time they were working with dan.

·
I'm more of a dog person
864 Posts
i had a feeling this was gonna happen. Blue Mtn. was never really into the DH scene from the get go. They've had some grand plans for the mountain for a long time and mountain biking never seemed to fit into these. They went into it extremely hesitant and skepitcal from the start, and only after continued prodding from the local community did they finally cave and give it a shot. But they don't have the patience to let something like this mature, so I knew it was doomed to fail. It's not coming back, so don't get your hopes up. After the water park starts generating lots of income, and the lodges start to get built on the top of the mountain, DH biking will be a forgoten memory to them.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Now I know what a stake through the heart feels like. I'm so bummed. I was only able to get there about 3x per summer but it was the ONLY serious downhill riding I got to do all year. And I loved it. I ride in flat South Jersey and DE the rest of the year and always looked forward to a few trips up to Blue.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Honestly it will help Spring Mountain get going since they will see some business that would have been at Blue. The Buckman's (owners of Spring) are cool people and are actually involved with the project, so it has more potential for success (despite having less potential energy in the form of vert). Its like 20 minutes from my work, so I will definitely be up there on some Friday evenings.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.