Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Chilling out
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, my wife noticed that the weather forecast for the weekend was "delightful" and told me to go "ride my butt off."

So, being the good obedient husband that I am, I complied.

Today was Part 1 - Downhill Day at Blue Mountain Ski in the fine state of PA. Blue Mountain is open for a while, every Saturday, for mountain biking. Now, I won't go say it's anything like, or near, Whistler or Keystone or Angel Fire - it's just not possible here - but it was surely a fun day.

Being a 1 hour drive from home, with a $20 lift pass for the day, doesn't hurt.

Having a good friend to motor down with from where I live in Kingston PA was really nice.

Meeting cool people, seeing tons of people out, riding a total of about 25 miles and dropping over 12K feet of descending over five hours of riding was just too much fun for words.

Almost.

This was only my second day doing lift-served riding, and it was quite different from Pajarito Ski in Los Alamos (last Sept, is this a theme - DH in Sept?).

I'd say the trail is characterized as what I have *read* to be typical east-cost DH stuff, some loamy earth, good mixture of rock gardens, plenty of tree roots, some severe steeps, some drops and stuff.

I'm NOT saying it's a "destination" place, but if you're not too far away it's completely worthy of a day of fun. I'll be back in a couple weeks or so, 'cause why not!

This was my 3rd day riding flat pedals, which is a huge conversion for me, and I gotta say it's going better than expected. If I could either figure out how to stay connected when in-flight, or something, it'd be easier though. Quite a few sketchy landings by yours-truly, and more than a couple not-really-landings.

I think I need a bigger helmet.

And eventually shin guards.

And maybe eventually even something to ride in other than, *gasp*, lycra shorts. We'll see.

Thanks Chriffer for the company and the wipe-out fun.

Thanks to Jamie, who bought us lunch and ended up riding with us most of the day, very cool dude.

GPX tracklog wrapped in zip file

Tracklog wrapped in Google Earth KMZ file - note: untested, don't have Google Earth installed.

We did *not* get to the jump-park area, it seems substantial, but we didn't head down it, I've only one pic from there. Looks interesting though.

We did *not* see most of the DH run (as it was taped off), I think we just happened to miss that trail. Catch that next time.

We *did* see one very good serious drop, once you count in your forward movement and the landing slope I bet it ends up being a 5'(+) drop. Great tranny though ...

Don't you love how towards the end of the day the down-slope almost matches the up-slope? :D

·
Chilling out
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First sightings of the hill.

Me & My Bike on the first run up.

Not a bad view.

Companion in Crime (Chriffer)

Chriffer, tentatively scoping Moto entrance

There's a disc-golf course on the hill, you take the lift up and "golf" down. Here's one tee, the "hole" is that little yellow blob down-hill to the right. Neat. Something for everyone!

Jamie.

Chriffer.

·
Chilling out
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The trees are starting to turn!

Yes, PA is << horrid >> to the Bear, just << horrid >>.

The Short Bus? Too bad the feature was "closed" - I don't think I yet have the stones to launch it, but it'd been very cool to see someone do it.

The Jump Park looked nice and well built. This chick got some serious air.

Miles of Smiles - well I don't know how many miles this particular trail has but it was gonz-fun!

Or at least Chriffer thought so.

A lot.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was also there today and had a blast. As you said in your post, if your within reasonable driving distance, this place is worth the trip. I've been other places with more trails, but considering that this is only the second week this place has been open to the public (not counting race weekends) I think Blue is off to a great start. The trails definetly cater more to the advanced crowd. This was fine with me, but my riding buddy was a little overwhelmed at times. But with that said were gonna make the trip back in a few weeks, bring a few more people, and introduce a few more South Jersey XC guys to the world of DH. My only complaint is that they're only open on Saturdays.

BTW great pictures.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yesterday was my 5th trip to blue this season and the guys continue to do tons of work on the mountain. there is a lot of potential there. The trails are more what I would consider to be real DH oriented, there is an easy fire road way down and the Super D course isnt as steep as everything else. Miles of Smiles starts off out in the open and with tons of berms but then you get into the woods. There is something for everyone, yesterday we took it a little easy as I went down hard a couple times so we mostly stayed on Miles, Jambalaya, lower OCS, and Lower Balboa. We hit everything except for Moto last weekend though, Chunkleberry is awesome for anyone who likes rocks.

I am definitely excited for next season, Blue is a welcome break from diablo's paved trails and certainly gives a good workout. And can punish you at the same time.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Nice!

Thanks for the detailed write up and pics.....gotta go soon....although i will need to rent a big travel bike...maybe a Lacuna Coil...no I mean a Kona Coiler....and a full face helmet. Hope you rode like it "a drunken 17year old in a stolen Ferrari !!!".

Here's a few shots from Szerk, Poland...Ride On!

RIde On!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I had a blast riding at blue yesterday. I only rode there one or two other days before they were officially open. They've been doing a ton of work and it really shows. I had a blast despite about 6 crashes. The dirtjumps were really good, they just need to dry out a little more. I was a little suprised at how steep they were the first time I dropped in to them. They give you that nice floaty hangtime with out having to worry about a huge gap to clear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts