Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

421 - 440 of 478 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Would a hardtail suffice? I want to go downhill on my hardtail. I dont even know if they will allow it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
No one is going to stop you but it's a bumpy ride. People do it though. You're going to have to jack up your rear tire pressure to offset the lack of suspension, otherwise you're pretty much guaranteed to get pinch flats.

The easier trails are definitely doable. I've seen my fair share of Walmart bikes on the hill ridden by people who's riding experience starts and ends with tow paths so I'm sure you'd be fine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
No one is going to stop you but it's a bumpy ride. People do it though. You're going to have to jack up your rear tire pressure to offset the lack of suspension, otherwise you're pretty much guaranteed to get pinch flats.

The easier trails are definitely doable. I've seen my fair share of Walmart bikes on the hill ridden by people who's riding experience starts and ends with tow paths so I'm sure you'd be fine.
Yea i dont want to do an expert trail just beginner to intermediate, I know my limits.Thanks for the info its deeply appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
my church is the woods
1,066 Posts
The trails are color coded blue, green, black to indicate difficulty. You should be fine on that bike, Blue mtn isn't too gnarly. I'd recommend a few thing like switching to a single chainring with a chain guide, and bigger brake rotors will help too. Also tires with DH casings will help prevent flats and save your trail tires from all wearing out quickly.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hello everyone, new to the forms and new to DH biking. My question is this spring I'll be going to Blue Mountain for the first time and first time DH, I would like to know what are the easy beginner trails and is my bike, 2016 Giant Stance...good enough for at least the easy trails.... https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/stance-27dot5-2-2016
Stance is certainly fine for green. As difficulty goes up you will have a little less margin for error. An skilled rider would still be able to pilot in on some gnarly terrain.

For the first timer, I would say blue is rockier and steeper than some other places. For instance, Bryce mountain and even mountain creek offer some green & blue flow trails with more progression. My 10 year old son loved Bryce and but had a tough day at blue. Some of that was just him having a bad day, but design wise I feel some other places flow better and link up jumps better. Also color ratings are not the same between parks. Some double blacks have huge drops/jumps while others are just generally steep and rocky.

·
Chilling out
6,029 Posts
If you're planning on going to Blue regularly I'd STRONGLY advocate

- get 180mm shimano ice-tech rotors to replace the stock rotors with, front and rear, they handle heat build up and dissipation markedly better. Beginners at DH tend to drag brakes a lot more, so this is a factor.

- at the same time get the sintered metal brake pads instead of the resin brake pads, they last a lot longer

- +5 on getting different tires for use at Blue. Full-on DH tires (2ply) or the middle weight "enduro" tires that have the butyl inserts to protect the rims can be fine also (think 1kg tires not 1.5kg tires). I actually use the latter for trail riding even though their heavy as I have a tendency to hit rocks at DH speed on my trail bike rides. You would have a hard time going wrong with Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR tires, I personally really like the Continental der Kaiser and der Baron for DH but they're pretty spendy.

- Don't forget to drop your saddle as far as it will go in the frame before heading up the hill on the lift. You won't want to sit down on it much when riding DH. If you don't have a dropper added to your bike yet then take a measurement of where your post is extended (or gently scratch the post) so you can put it back easily when done for the day and going back to trail riding.

- I personally prefer flat pedals for DH, so I can insta-bail if I feel the need. It's a personal choice.

- Rent full DH helmet and pads when you go, the first couple times, if you don't already have them. I think it's worth having better head protection where it's a ton easier to get all the way to "ludicrous" speed without much effort.

Think about an intro session or two by one of the guides that are available, if you've never done DH before, and you have nobody else to show you the ropes.

Good luck!

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you're planning on going to Blue regularly I'd STRONGLY advocate

- get 180mm shimano ice-tech rotors to replace the stock rotors with, front and rear, they handle heat build up and dissipation markedly better. Beginners at DH tend to drag brakes a lot more, so this is a factor.

- at the same time get the sintered metal brake pads instead of the resin brake pads, they last a lot longer

- +5 on getting different tires for use at Blue. Full-on DH tires (2ply) or the middle weight "enduro" tires that have the butyl inserts to protect the rims can be fine also (think 1kg tires not 1.5kg tires). I actually use the latter for trail riding even though their heavy as I have a tendency to hit rocks at DH speed on my trail bike rides. You would have a hard time going wrong with Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR tires, I personally really like the Continental der Kaiser and der Baron for DH but they're pretty spendy.

- Don't forget to drop your saddle as far as it will go in the frame before heading up the hill on the lift. You won't want to sit down on it much when riding DH. If you don't have a dropper added to your bike yet then take a measurement of where your post is extended (or gently scratch the post) so you can put it back easily when done for the day and going back to trail riding.

- I personally prefer flat pedals for DH, so I can insta-bail if I feel the need. It's a personal choice.

- Rent full DH helmet and pads when you go, the first couple times, if you don't already have them. I think it's worth having better head protection where it's a ton easier to get all the way to "ludicrous" speed without much effort.

Think about an intro session or two by one of the guides that are available, if you've never done DH before, and you have nobody else to show you the ropes.

Good luck!

i second all of these.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
441 Posts
Headed out to blue now. I’d love to meet some other locals, I’ll be riding a carbon colored Santa Cruz with a black/tan full face, and orange melon goggle strap—just call out, name is Mike.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Headed out to blue now. I’d love to meet some other locals, I’ll be riding a carbon colored Santa Cruz with a black/tan full face, and orange melon goggle strap—just call out, name is Mike.
Do you mean.... Black?

The in-laws were in town this weekend, so I wasn't able to escape to BMBP, maybe I'll catch you next time you make the trip out! We're heading to Mountain Creek this weekend, but I'll probably be there every sunday till they shut it down.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
441 Posts
I suppose it looks blackish / grayish. SC listed the 2018 bronson as carbon with sriracha lettering

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm interested in Blue Mtn bike park. I got a trip planned next week to Asheville to ride local trails and Bailey. I've been to Bailey and the local trails several times and love it, but I'm curious if there are any awesome local trails around Blue Mtn. It seems like the mountain is only open on the weekends, so I'm looking for some epic single track too. I can easily change plans and head to Pennsylvania. Is it worth it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm interested in Blue Mtn bike park. I got a trip planned next week to Asheville to ride local trails and Bailey. I've been to Bailey and the local trails several times and love it, but I'm curious if there are any awesome local trails around Blue Mtn. It seems like the mountain is only open on the weekends, so I'm looking for some epic single track too. I can easily change plans and head to Pennsylvania. Is it worth it?
There are trails in the area, but from what I've seen, they don't hold a candle to Asheville. You're correct in that the lift only runs on the weekends now that they're on fall schedule.

If I were you, I'd stick with your original plan. head for NC.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yea, I'm on the fence for this weekend.. It was pretty damn cold up there on Sunday. My wife did one lap and said "Have fun, I'll be at the bar." Lol

I may try to get to Mountain Creek one more time though.. They close next weekend I think

·
Shartacular Spectacular
441 Posts
I’ve been up there almost every Saturday since early August, planning on heading up Sunday this week. Anyone else planning on heading up Sunday?

·
Shartacular Spectacular
441 Posts
So who on here is in this picture?

No need to identify exactly who you are in the photo, but I’m curious if I’ve ridden with any of you without realizing it. So who here is in this? Photo is courtesy of Simply Adventurous who took this on the last run down of the year.

Attachments

421 - 440 of 478 Posts