Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather forecast is poor for riding, but fine for cutting trail. At least it has already poured in Madison and rain is forecast for Sat..

Trek Bicycle Store Madison is giving $10 credit to volunteers at the work day tomorrow.

We'll work 10 AM to 2 PM, and probably finish the first line in new "South Park" area. Bring boots, gloves, water, lunch and appropriate protection from the elements.

Thank you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
bitflogger said:
The weather forecast is poor for riding, but fine for cutting trail. At least it has already poured in Madison and rain is forecast for Sat..

Trek Bicycle Store Madison is giving $10 credit to volunteers at the work day tomorrow.

We'll work 10 AM to 2 PM, and probably finish the first line in new "South Park" area. Bring boots, gloves, water, lunch and appropriate protection from the elements.

Thank you.
bitflogger, sorry to hijack your thread but what's the riding like at WI? I'm moving to Milwaukee for school and I'm wondering which bike I should bring, either the Kona Unit or Surly Steamroller.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fit24hrs said:
bitflogger, sorry to hijack your thread but what's the riding like at WI? I'm moving to Milwaukee for school and I'm wondering which bike I should bring, either the Kona Unit or Surly Steamroller.
It depends on where you want to ride. Maybe your Steamroller is built better for city riding, and most Milw. area ridiers I know go to the Kettle Moraine State Forest for trail riding with more distance. That's a place where you can ride 20+ miles off road, but it's more of an exercise, racer or first date place. Just not a place for rocks, logs, drops or challenging the riding skills. It is a place where I enjoy riding my 26 inch wheel single speed.

If you want rocks or going really fast you need to go farther away. There are trail reviews on this site and more info on the www.worba.org site. The latter would be good because you can chat with people in the area, and I think there are also some clubmtb.com groups there too.

If you're going to school in a city I'd choose bike best for that first, and especially if you don't have a car.

Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the reply. You're probably right. I only know that it snows a lot up there and I was worried that the road bike would not be enough for scorching through the snow. That's my major concern. The mtn bike is more comfortable and more manuverable but I'd be spinnging like crazy just to go 1/2 as fast as I would on the steamroller. I'm also not sure if I can fit snow tires on a steamroller. Anybody? Ernesto?

·
Registered
22 Posts
BRING THEM ALL!!
There is tons of great places to ride and if you get hooked up with some clubs from the Milwaukee area Im sure you could hitch rides.
Riding in this area is great!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.