Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1222 Posts

·
Retro on Steroids
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bike collection, but I'm not a collector. I just hang onto most of my bikes, and I started riding a long time ago.

You guys would hate me for my Ritchey P-21. Once one of the coolest MTBs you could have, I got it in 1994 when my 1987 American Breezer was stolen.

It is now my town bike, and the paint and frame are battered. The wheels and tires are mismatched, and the saddle is worn out. The remains of a broken pump clip are still under the bottle cage screws.

It's a town bike.

As I make my daily journey, I see bikes that the people on this forum would give a lot to own and restore, but to their owners they are just the bike, representing basic transportation, not collectible treasures. So I take photos when I can, and after starting this thread with my own bike, I'll add a few others I have run across.

·
Retro on Steroids
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This guy got evicted, and he left a lot of stuff. His landlord said I could have the bike.

It's a Funk, obviously stolen because the Serial # was ground off. I did my best to find any reports of a stolen Funk, but without success, so I gave it to my friend who turned it into his street bike.

·
artistic...
7,602 Posts
the cunningham...;) :D :eek:

now these are the blue collar bikes that should be posted here. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Awesome thread idea. This is something I was thinking about actually- posting up photos of bikes out in the real world, randoms that you see out on bike racks, on the trails, or at races. Bikes that are obviously getting used and have a story to tell. I had a bike to start the thread, and was looking for more, but you beat me to it.

Before I continue, I gotta say, I wish your Ritchey was the standard definition for "battered." I think that bike looks great.

Here's my contribution. There's a local here in Tucson with a Yeti Ultimate, apparently he's the original owner. He can be seen riding it around town pretty frequently. It's funny, but he kinda looks like the Yeti on the headbadge. Definitely cool to see this rolling around town, though it does look a little beat up close. Pics stolen from https://www.43bikes.com/

Check it out- his headset is the same color as the one on my Ultimate. Must be the Arizona sun.

And the owner-

·
1,529 Posts
Repack Rider said:
This Nishiki Alein is somebody's town bike in Durango,

I can offer some info about this loved Alien, it belongs to my good friend Chad, manager of the durango devo team, champion bike polo guru, and SSWC09 promoter.

It was his first mountain bike around 91, and its the only possession he's owned his whole life. You can read his ramblings at

durangodevo.wordpress.com
sswc09.wordpress.com

The day CK took this photo, he had ridden it to town to view and celebrate Klunkerz, but he and myself were turned away for not being film fest passholders. :madmax:

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Cool thread, CK. I've always dug utility bikes for some reason.

I have a commuter made out of an 87 John Tomac Signature Mongoose. Pure utility - no regard for looks. :)

No pics, though.

1 - 20 of 1222 Posts