Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone that has moved from a BLT2 to a Nomad2 regretted their move and wished they stayed with the BLT2?

I really liked the slacker head angle of the Nomad1, but I just felt it was a little heavy and sluggish for the trails I ride. For these reason's I got the BLT2 (just before the Nomad 2 was released), and it rides great, but I find the top tube is a little short (I've got a long torso and short legs) and I miss the head angle and stability of the Nomad. It sounds like the new Nomad has addressed the little points I didn't like so much on the Nomad1, as it sounds like it's more lively, lighter and apparently pedals just as well as the BLT2, and also has a slightly longer top tube than the BLT2, hence me thinking about making the move from the BLT2 to a Nomad2.

Has anyone made the move and loved/regretted it and why? Even though I'm really keen to get the new Nomad, I'm a little nervous I'll swap and wish I'd kept the BLT2. I won't get a chance to ride a Nomad before I buy.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Isn't the top tube only 0.3" longer?
Put a 160mm fork on your LT2 and it will slacken out the HA.
Now don't get me wrong, I love my Nomad and have not had the chance to ride an LT2, but these seem like things you might be able to change to better suit your needs by changing components... setback post, longer stem, longer fork.

On the Nomad, part of the stability comes from the longer wheelbase. On the N2 they have addressed those little points you mentioned, but having been on both versions, the N2 loses some of the stability. I think due to sitting higher and shortening the wheelbase.

Find someone with a Nomad to trade bikes with for a day.

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
manamana said:
Has anyone that has moved from a BLT2 to a Nomad2 regretted their move and wished they stayed with the BLT2?

I really liked the slacker head angle of the Nomad1, but I just felt it was a little heavy and sluggish for the trails I ride. For these reason's I got the BLT2 (just before the Nomad 2 was released), and it rides great, but I find the top tube is a little short (I've got a long torso and short legs) and I miss the head angle and stability of the Nomad. It sounds like the new Nomad has addressed the little points I didn't like so much on the Nomad1, as it sounds like it's more lively, lighter and apparently pedals just as well as the BLT2, and also has a slightly longer top tube than the BLT2, hence me thinking about making the move from the BLT2 to a Nomad2.

Has anyone made the move and loved/regretted it and why? Even though I'm really keen to get the new Nomad, I'm a little nervous I'll swap and wish I'd kept the BLT2. I won't get a chance to ride a Nomad before I buy.
Isn't the HA the same on the new and old Nomads? Unless SC is juggling the data on their geometry categories, the Nomads have had the same head angle.

·
emtb.pl
879 Posts
Any regrets?

I have one regret - I shouldn't have waited so long with the swap:p
Seriously though - I loved the LT2 but the new Nomad gives so much confidence over bigger stuff. And I am leaning towards heavier/bigger stuff lately.
PS: I am swapping std drivetrain for internal gear hubs on my bikes in the moment - Rohloff on the Nomad and an Alfine on the BadBoy. Pics soon:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree with Krolik 100%, I have the new Nomad now and could not be happier. I ride it on everything. Coming from a DH racer back ground my main concern on the Nomad was it's climbing ability. I was plesantly suprised, To me it climbs just as well as the BLT2. Mine weighs just under 32# with a Hammer Schmidt AM crank set and a dropper seat post. This bike screams both up and down, No regrets at all, I don't think any bike rides everything as well as the Nomad.

·
Infidel
414 Posts
Mine weighs just under 32# with a Hammer Schmidt AM crank set and a dropper seat post
What's your build? Mine is coming in at closer to 33 lbs and the only place I can figure to save any weight without compromising the ride would be my fork. I'm running a Lyrik coil that I really like so I'm probably not going to do that. How'd you stay under 32 lbs running the Hammershmidt?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bike build

KYMtnBkr said:
What's your build? Mine is coming in at closer to 33 lbs and the only place I can figure to save any weight without compromising the ride would be my fork. I'm running a Lyrik coil that I really like so I'm probably not going to do that. How'd you stay under 32 lbs running the Hammershmidt?
Hi KY,

Mine is built up as follows.

2009 medium Nomad with a monarch rear shock.
Fox 36 Rc2 Talas
Chris king devolution headset.
Thomson 100mm stem 0 rise.
Easton carbon high rise bars.
SRAM XO trigger shifters.
SRAM XO RD
Hammerschmidt AM cranks.
Formula K24 brakes w/ Ti kit, 185 fr and a 160rr.
Crank Brothers 2ti candy petals.
Selle Italia XLR XC saddle.
Maverick speed ball R post.
DT Swiss 240 hubs laced to Mavic 819 hoops.
WTB Mutano raptor 2.25 tires.

:thumbsup:

·
Infidel
414 Posts
Sweet build! I guess I see now where that would be about a pound lighter than mine. How's the Hammerschmidt working out? I originally wanted the HS but was hearing mixed predictions about how it would perform with VPP suspension. Now Intense is advertising the Uzzi VPP as HS compatable and I'm thinking I should have built my Nomad with one. Is Santa Cruz recommending building the Nomad with the HS?

·
Registered
55 Posts
KYMtnBkr said:
Sweet build! I guess I see now where that would be about a pound lighter than mine. How's the Hammerschmidt working out? I originally wanted the HS but was hearing mixed predictions about how it would perform with VPP suspension. Now Intense is advertising the Uzzi VPP as HS compatable and I'm thinking I should have built my Nomad with one. Is Santa Cruz recommending building the Nomad with the HS?
I realy love the Hammer schmidt, I think it fits the Nomad perfectly. I only have about 70 miles on it so far but I have had no problems yet. I did some research on the site here and there was a couple of post about the HS on the Nomad. One was from SC and the other was from another rider who installed it on his bike.

Santa Cruz more or less said you may feel a little difference if you were to stand up climb on it, but that was about it. I don't stand climb anyway so this didn't really apply to me I figured. The other rider who put one on his Nomad pretty much feels the same way I do about the HS. It is trully a great system. I did a google searh for hammer schmidt on a sc Nomad and that gave me a ton of info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts