Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what's the verdict from "upgraders"? (anybody who owns both) I met a SC tester on a "2" who claimed it was "much lighter" but it seems like the frame weights are the same (even a slight gain in some sizes).

So the question remains -is the performance alone worth a switch?

I did test a very light Cannondale Rize2 recently (26.4Lbs LG) It climbed like a rocket, but seemed a bit bouncier on the rocky descent. Maybe lighter bikes just bounce more? Perhaps true all mtn/XC bikes need to have a minimum wt for stability?

My current BLT1 is just PERFECT --except for the "tonnage" on climbs. (new wheels on the way & finally going tubeless)

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
I do not own both and do not want to waste your time, but I own an 07 BLT1 and like you (and probably alot of other BLT1 owners) the same question has crossed my mind. I don't know how your BLT is built up but mine is a med and comes in at 28 lbs w/talas 100-140mm, xtr build, dt swiss 4.1 and 2.1 Nevgals (I have a pretty mushy seat and heavy tubes) . I had an 07 Blur xc with a fox f100 rlc with the exact same build and it was almost exactally 2lbs less but other than top tube and head angle I cannot say it was a much better climber. I have read alot (no not personal experience) about the BLT2 and though many say it is not as plush of a ride and that it's geometry felt less at home on cross county/climbing and leaning more towards the downs. And as you stated above I have not seen anything saying that the BLT2's frame is much lighter so the "tonnage" should not change but stiffness and geometry might-

·
Surly OG
977 Posts
Other than a stiffer rear triangle, revamped leverage ratio, more tire clearance, and a LOT more Standover, there isn't enough to convice me to switch over. I've got my LT1 pretty dialed and I'm sure when I go to a Pro II rear hub with bolt on axle stiffness will match the LT2.

I'm going to save $$$ and wait for a bargain on a Big bike - I went to N* and have been seduced by the dark side...... 7 ft drops on a 8" bike are fun.......

·
Registered
808 Posts
I don't agree with Knottshor telling that "it's geometry felt less at home on cross county/climbing and leaning more towards the downs" the geometry are almost identical with a 140mm fork on both and the only differences is that BLT1 with a 140mm fork have more chainstay and wheelbase length telling that it has more stability on fast descents (not much)!!

For me the big difference is the bent top tube that like on Nomad give more standover and more confidence on technical trails. I ride a Nomad once and it was I first notice the lower standover weight.
And I'm also thinking of trading my BLT1 for the BLT2, but I don't like the not being so plush and that was the reason to buy BLT1, plush but climb like a goat!!

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
I just want to clarify- I have read numerous mags from both the UK and US with articles and blurbs on the BLT2-and have no personal experience on the BLT2, I am simply posting the opinion of one test rider (even if it goes against the flow of all the other testers). Also I believe he was referencing the new VPP design being less small bump oriented and able to handle big drops better- not the actual geometry. Numbers on paper do not always add up on the trail which is why different opinions rather than data sheets are welcomed.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yes, the mbr (UK) and the Spanish magazine SoloBici tells the same, that BLT2 aren't so plush and they have at the same time to test the Nomad BLT1 and BLT2 and they were expecting some "little" Nomad and no way the refer that the "little" Nomad was more the BLT1 than BLT2.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've had about a dozen rides on my bl2 and am still not able to offer an opion, good or bad. I am 5'8" tall and ride a medium with a 70mm stem and a talas 36 because i have been using it for fire road climbs and light freerideish descents. It feels very small (crampt)compared to my medium nomad with a talas 36. The 90 mm stem feels better for more xc type riding but the top tube length is still just as short. I am thinking I got the wrong size. I am thinking my nomad with the talas 36 was almost a better xc am bike than the bl2 and a better climber on the steep fire roads maybe because of the longer chain stays. But like I said the jury is still out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.