Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with the same problem.......i think i left the nipple somewhere in the mountain...i love the bike but i cannot understand why they put these things down there...

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Was wondering if that could happen. What's the fix? Do those things press in or screw in?

Wouldn't mind having some sort of a lightweight molded flexible nylon "glide plate" underneath the BB, pivots and bottom link that would protect against doing that or gouging the frame.

Anything like that out there?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Wow, this was brought up when they released the BLT2 and SC said that it couldn't happen!!! I also can't imagine why they put those fully exposed on the lower link.

There have been a few posts with this same problem so you're not alone. I'm getting a Tallboy when they're availble to me and I'll be taking out the grease nipple and threading in a plug as soon as I get the frame. When I need to grease the bearings I'll take out the plug and reinstall the grease nipple. This sort of kit should be supplied with all G2 VPP frames.

·
603 Posts
Doh!

Bummer, must have been a fun ride w/ a nasty rock. Did that happen via a flying rock or did you smack a big anchored boulder?
It's a bit tough to see in the photo. Clearly your grease nip is long gone, but did you also damage your lower link? Good luck hopefully you can get her fixed up!

bog - Where would you source these "plugs"?

Thanks,

Porch

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I'm not sure of the thread on the grease nipples but chances are that they're pretty common. If you can find out what type of thread it is (straight, NPT, ...) they you can buy head socket head plugs at most hardware stores that'll thread into the hole
I'm lucky that I have a huge assortment of them at work because I use brass fittings quite a bit when prototyping new designs.
They look like this:

http://www.fullermetric.com/products/socket/din906hexagon_socket_pipe_plug.html

·
SS Pusher Man
7,612 Posts
bog said:
Wow, this was brought up when they released the BLT2 and SC said that it couldn't happen!!! I also can't imagine why they put those fully exposed on the lower link.

There have been a few posts with this same problem so you're not alone. I'm getting a Tallboy when they're availble to me and I'll be taking out the grease nipple and threading in a plug as soon as I get the frame. When I need to grease the bearings I'll take out the plug and reinstall the grease nipple. This sort of kit should be supplied with all G2 VPP frames.
Yeah, but you have to look at the number of VPP2 bikes there are out there these days......sounds like it is not a very big issue. If it was, you would see every one on here complaining about it.

·
Registered
949 Posts
zerk fitting

I believe the zerk is pressed into the lower pivot in lieu of being threaded. Some users have reported they yanked it out by miss-using the grease gun.

It looks like your link got a bit mangled in the exchange and may no longer accept a zerk. You can choose to leave it out or buy a new link if the current one is not serviceable.

The zerk is nice since it allows for minor servicing of the pivots, however occassionally I suspect the lower link should be manually disassembled, cleaned and greased to get rid of any grit you can't force out with the grease pressures. With the new pivot design assembly/disassembly is simple, however you should use a torque wrench and 242 Loctite on reassembly.

·
MEDBLKANOSCBLT2RP23
283 Posts
Pressed in. I pulled it out when I first connected and removed the grease gun without loosening the seal enough. Still there after a year. Watch those log crossings.

·
Registered
535 Posts
>>>>
Originally Posted by bog

<<<<<<<<
10.4 on that great idea, can snag a plug from small part on screw/nut aisle at home depot and run an o-ring on it to water seal.
When the Blur 29 aka tallboy gets in I think I will grease and then seal and leave it and should be good for quite awhile as I never hose job my bikes.....and the bearings never go bad amazingly enough, even on ye ole Blur classic from days past.
Anyone know the hole diameter ? I guess I will get it after pulling the zerk.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I 'm curious as to why they didn't use the same low profile fittings as Intense.such an exposed area hard to believe that was an oversight.I like the plug idea.I've replaced mine several times,even used screw ins with jb weld.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I mangled one of mine at whistler, its a press in fitting, $2 at the hardware shop. They are barbed so pressing them in and pulling them out on a regular basis may not be a good idea. THe OP's pic looks like he may need to disasemble the link and try to push it through.

This is what is there already(close, not exactly)

Something like this with a lower profile might be better(needs a different grease gun head)

·
Registered
777 Posts
I run a 40T E-13 Super bash guard on all of my Vpp Linkage bikes. Tracer Vpp, NomadMKII, BlurLT2, BlurLT2 c, I found this works great. Really protects the grease fittings and the bottom linkage. P.S When I had my NomadMKII. By mistake I pulled out the grease fitting by- Not loosening the end of the S/C grease gun when I was finish grease the bike. When I got some replacement grease fittings from S/C. I just taped the new back in with no problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts