Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
I see you got the XL.....

Just curious, how tall are you and what size/rise stem did you end up getting? How does it feel...do you have any comparisons to Classic Blur? I am 6'5" and was wondering if the Blur LT would be a good fit for me.....

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
They can be...........

munkyboy said:
very very sweet bike :)

thought the BLT would be a touch lighter though
- It's all in the build spec.
I have 2 Large's in the shop at 25.5 pounds.

·
mtbr member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MCF, I am 6'2". The bike came with a 120mm stem, but I swapped it out for a 100mm 5-degree rise. Fits me great.

I can't compare to a regular blur, but I find the ride to be a great mix of plush but still speedy. I also test-rode a Nomad, and would say the BLT is about 85% as plush in the rough, but better for my style of trailriding. I am coming from a more XC bike with quicker steering, so I'm still getting used to the handling. The fork is pretty light which helps getting the front end up.

DMFT - what build do you have on the 25.5 pounders? I would guess they are the smaller 2.1" tires at least - this ones got the 2.35"ers with Kenda freeride tubes, which probably aren't the lightest.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Thanks....

nebam said:
MCF, I am 6'2". The bike came with a 120mm stem, but I swapped it out for a 100mm 5-degree rise. Fits me great.

I can't compare to a regular blur, but I find the ride to be a great mix of plush but still speedy. I also test-rode a Nomad, and would say the BLT is about 85% as plush in the rough, but better for my style of trailriding. I am coming from a more XC bike with quicker steering, so I'm still getting used to the handling. The fork is pretty light which helps getting the front end up.

DMFT - what build do you have on the 25.5 pounders? I would guess they are the smaller 2.1" tires at least - this ones got the 2.35"ers with Kenda freeride tubes, which probably aren't the lightest.
I'm 6'5" so the 120mm stem with a 10 degree rise would probably be closer to what I would need. Have you experienced any pedal smack? The one thing I hate about my Blur (12.6" BB compared to 13.2" of BLT). Also, i bet the longer wheel base is nice and stable....

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Nebam -

Yes, 1 has Kenda BG 2.1 w/Kenda Nev 1.95, Full XTR, 05' Talas, size Large, the other has 2.2 Bontrager Jones ACX's, Hayes Mags, Talas, everything else XTR...this ones actually closer to 25 3/4, but whose counting?! :D

- Nice rig btw, looks sharp! ;)

·
mtbr member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am coming from a 12.4" BB and it's like night and day. Takes a minute to get used to sitting higher off the ground, but makes a huge diff over logs and such.

The stem length question is probably more dependent on inseam/torso ratio than total height. If you have a long inseam that's going to put your seat higher and thus further back from the bars. Plus, I think the trend is towards a more upright posture, so maybe a 120, maybe not.

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,102 Posts
nebam said:
Blur LT
XL in Ano Black
2006 Fox Float 130X fork
Aka Float X TT (Trail Tuned) or whatever you want to call it.
RP3 shock
SPX DB LT Kit
Weight 29.5 pounds
First ride most enjoyable. Fork is sweet.
That is a very handsome bike :cool:

Congratulations!

·
Registered
80 Posts
nice

Just curious, seems like you have the same setup as the "complete" pricing, except anodized. Didn't that cost you $400 more or something? (not being "complete").

<edit: nevermind>

Really sweet bike though!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Almost here

My BLT frame fianally arrived and the build kit should be in Weds. Now I'm left to decide which wheelset and tire to put on it. I'm trying to decide between crossmax xl and sl; what do you guys think. With the new bike, I want to make the jump to tubeless tires. Any suggestions on a good 2.1 or 2.2? Thanks.

·
Registered Dietitian
1,994 Posts
One HUGE question- awesome bike, and great info- BTW...

nebam said:
Since you test-rode the Nomad, could you please expound further on the differences in the ride of the two bikes? Thanks in advance for any info, super appreciated.

Tommy

·
Registered
130 Posts
how does it ride?

nebam said:
Blur LT
XL in Ano Black
2006 Fox Float 130X fork
Aka Float X TT (Trail Tuned) or whatever you want to call it.
RP3 shock
SPX DB LT Kit
Weight 29.5 pounds
First ride most enjoyable. Fork is sweet.
Any riding experiences
Does it feel like train or is it flickable

the cainstay lenght worries me abit cos its very long 17.2
that might make a clumsy bike
so whats it been like and how does it ride?????

Your bike looks awesome butheway!!!!!!

·
mtbr member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Details

The Nomad that I rode was a medium, so it was pretty small for me. I would say the ride is very similar to the blt, but a bit more plush and burly and since the front end is slacker, a little more stable. However, I am finding the BLT to be perfect for technical rocky trailriding, a great mix of speed, handling, and stability. The X-platform fork means no front-end dive from braking or turning, plus it helps with bunny-hopping. The fox-36 on the Nomad is great, but I like the 130X better, and it's lighter, and you don't have to deal with a 20mm hub. If you are more into hucking, maybe a Nomad is a better choice, but I'm sure the BLT can handle whatever I'm gonna drop off!

1 - 20 of 183 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.