Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm liking the new BLT but which fork should you go for - a fox talas 130 or a fox RC 36 110-150 (soon to be 110-160). Seems one is a bit short the other perhaps a bit long. Waht are the weight/geometry issues. My first thought is that maybe neither is perfect.

one of my friends reckoned the PIKE was the perfect match, although i'm not personally sold on RS at the moment

opinions and recommendations PLS

·
All Mt, DH
488 Posts
I have a BLT on order. - Large Blk Ano
Currently running a Pike Team on my Chameleon, but cant comment enough as havent m ridden it much due to a knee strain.
For the BLT I want a 20mm axle Fork only... so it narrows the choice for me... will prob just grab bits from my Chameleon intially, but would much rather a Marzocchi 66 or Z1 if the AC would be reduced a little...
Fox... and Manitou... not sure yet
About 3 weeks to go for the BLT...bring it on

·
Registered
267 Posts
rogue said:
I have a BLT on order. - Large Blk Ano
Currently running a Pike Team on my Chameleon, but cant comment enough as havent m ridden it much due to a knee strain.
For the BLT I want a 20mm axle Fork only... so it narrows the choice for me... will prob just grab bits from my Chameleon intially, but would much rather a Marzocchi 66 or Z1 if the AC would be reduced a little...
Fox... and Manitou... not sure yet
About 3 weeks to go for the BLT...bring it on
Hey man,

Just curious: Where are you ordering your BLT from? I want to get a Blur XC frame as soon as possible - I was hoping to even pre-order one from SC or something. I'm hoping to avoid having to deal with back-orders once they release them officially on June 15th. Thanks!

·
All Mt, DH
488 Posts
Lactic
I'm in Hongkong and have ordered various SantaCruz's here before and there has been a mix of waiting times...
eg.
03 Bullit - 2 weeks
04 VPFree - 2 weeks
05 Chameleon - polished... 2.5 months and counting...
05 Chameleon - Black... instant in stock
05 Blur BLT - due 1 june 2005 (according to SC and my retailer in HK FlyingBall)

So we will see... I had heard anything about 15 June 2005 yet, but we'll see

Thanks

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
munkyboy said:
I'm liking the new BLT but which fork should you go for - a fox talas 130 or a fox RC 36 110-150 (soon to be 110-160). Seems one is a bit short the other perhaps a bit long. Waht are the weight/geometry issues. My first thought is that maybe neither is perfect.

one of my friends reckoned the PIKE was the perfect match, although i'm not personally sold on RS at the moment

The 2 frames my LBS just ordered are going to be coming with the Fox 36. Looks like this is going to be the common setup.

mtnbikej

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
what about the new Float 130RLC?

·
603 Posts
I'm in the same boat...

I also am considering a BLT (or a Moment). I was thinking that the Maverick DUC 32 would be perfect for the BLT. Anybody had any problems with a DUC 32? Besides the silly hub requirements. .

- Porch -

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
Fox Float X130

Or rather, Float XTT

http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=1609

http://www.dirtworks.com.au/site/index.php?option=news&task=viewarticle&sid=157

SC lists it as part of the Blur LT complete kit.

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/bicycles/blur-lt.php?pricing=1

'don't know when it will be available aftermarket though, but this fork looks promising :cool:

munkyboy said:

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
i dont think id want the xtt because of the terralogic. its nice on race bikes with little travel. but when you step into the big time, i want some active ish. just my thoughts. the float 130 definately needs to be on your list too

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well I think the XTT sounds promising to curtail fork dive and unwanted squishing. I never had a long travel fork before but I've noticed it on test rides... and I've seen other folks on this board talk about doing stuff to eliminate it. Hopefully the "trail tune" thing makes it stay active.

Mainly I'm concerned about having no travel adjust for those really steep climbs. Not sure how important that is... I do end up on steep trails pretty regularly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nixon for mine

Mountain Bike mag featured a grey B4X with Nixon Platinum...I think the Nixon will be a good matchh to the LT, too. So when I get my hands on a BLT, Nixon with the thru-axle is coming home with me. RC 36 is cool but Nixon is lighter...I think. :confused:

munkyboy said:

·
2,069 Posts
Yup, a Terralogic TALAS sure would be cool :D

Although I don't think Fox has it in 2006 yet [as mistakenly mentioned in another post]

DMFT said:
- Agree w/Dusty.

- Can I get an XTT TALAS!!??!!??!! :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Blur :LT

I got a Blur LT spx db kit, talas 130 fork, bkj annodized on route

it is a marriage of everything i want in a mountain bike. it compliments my strengths and the style of how i ride, it is a perfect bike for the trails, singletracks and a bit of crosscountry that i enjoy

It is the ultimate bike, and i cant wait

go talas 130 all the way

·
2,069 Posts
tres cool!

post pics and a ride report as soon as you can :cool:

I envy you... :p

merlin1011 said:
I got a Blur LT spx db kit, talas 130 fork, bkj annodized on route

it is a marriage of everything i want in a mountain bike. it compliments my strengths and the style of how i ride, it is a perfect bike for the trails, singletracks and a bit of crosscountry that i enjoy

It is the ultimate bike, and i cant wait

go talas 130 all the way

·
2,069 Posts
Pike Air U-Turn

You'd have to wait a bit though, as this is a 2006 product :p

But it would be my personal choice for the BLT - the bike of my dreams [not that I could ever afford one... :( ]

munkyboy said:

·
What are you looking at?
949 Posts
munkyboy said:

I would go for the Manitou Nixon platinum. If you can afford it It's a sweet fork. it has SPV, IT, 6 inches of travel, and it's very light weight

·
Registered
203 Posts
Marz All mountain 1 versus TALAS RLC

I am looking at these two forks at the moment for the Blur LT. I was convinced on the TALAS until I started reading about the AM1.

The bike I currently ride has a head angle of approx 69 degrees. With the TALAS the axle to crown height is approx 500mm and the LT is listed as having a 69.5 degree head angle. The maverick website lists the AM1 with an axle to crown height of 518 mm (110-130 mm model). This should put the head angle of the LT at a bit less than 69 degrees.

However, on the mtbr message boards everyone makes it sound like the AM1 is way longer axle to crown than this, and that it would totally turn a bike into a chopper, but it doesn't seem that bad.

Anyone have opinions on these two forks and the Blur LT? The extra pound isn't a concern for me.

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
GFWD said:
I am looking at these two forks at the moment for the Blur LT. I was convinced on the TALAS until I started reading about the AM1.

The bike I currently ride has a head angle of approx 69 degrees. With the TALAS the axle to crown height is approx 500mm and the LT is listed as having a 69.5 degree head angle. The maverick website lists the AM1 with an axle to crown height of 518 mm (110-130 mm model). This should put the head angle of the LT at a bit less than 69 degrees.

However, on the mtbr message boards everyone makes it sound like the AM1 is way longer axle to crown than this, and that it would totally turn a bike into a chopper, but it doesn't seem that bad.

Anyone have opinions on these two forks and the Blur LT? The extra pound isn't a concern for me.
well it will definately rake it out more but imo its worth it for the superirior ride quality over the outstanding TALAS. if the weight is nothing and you do not mind a little more raked out and slower steering bike, then definately get the AM1. sheeesh wish i could debate between those two too

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.